Old 09-08-2012, 07:33 PM
vadim kochan

Default archiso - more install guides

Hi all,
I started with Arch a few days ago and mentioned that there is only one
small installation guide
file.
What do you think about to add more installation guide's (wireless,
network, x.org ... ) ?
Add some guide-generator script into archiso repo?

----
Thanks.
Sorry for my bed english)

Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 PM
rafael ff1

2012/9/8 vadim kochan <vadim4j@gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
> I started with Arch a few days ago and mentioned that there is only one
> small installation guide
> file.
> What do you think about to add more installation guide's (wireless,
> network, x.org ... ) ?
> Add some guide-generator script into archiso repo?
>
> ----
> Thanks.
> Sorry for my bed english)

A lot of these informations are in the Archwiki, you just have to find
it. I'd suggest googling for "archwiki <what-you-want>". For example,
"archwiki networkmanager" or "archwiki xorg", "archwiki gnome". It is
how I do it, normally.

Cheers,

Rafael Ferreira

Old 09-08-2012, 07:41 PM
Sven-Hendrik Haase

vadim kochan <vadim4j@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I started with Arch a few days ago and mentioned that there is only one
>small installation guide
>file.
>What do you think about to add more installation guide's (wireless,
>network, x.org ... ) ?
>Add some guide-generator script into archiso repo?
>
>----
>Thanks.
>Sorry for my bed english)

You should write to arch-releng about archiso. Its devs listen there.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:57 PM
vadim kochan

Wiki is good but when you are trying to install
arch from archiso you have not internet connection.
Thats why i think it would be good to have some guides when you are in
black box with
arch and trying to setup the system (being not very familiar with *nix
systems) :-)

Old 09-08-2012, 08:19 PM
rafael ff1

2012/9/8 vadim kochan <vadim4j@gmail.com>:
> Wiki is good but when you are trying to install
> arch from archiso you have not internet connection.
> Thats why i think it would be good to have some guides when you are in
> black box with
> arch and trying to setup the system (being not very familiar with *nix
> systems) :-)
>
> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com>wrote:
>
>> vadim kochan <vadim4j@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi all,
>> >I started with Arch a few days ago and mentioned that there is only one
>> >small installation guide
>> >file.
>> >What do you think about to add more installation guide's (wireless,
>> >network, x.org ... ) ?
>> >Add some guide-generator script into archiso repo?
>> >
>> >----
>> >Thanks.
>> >Sorry for my bed english)
>>
>> You should write to arch-releng about archiso. Its devs listen there.

Indeed. In this case, I'd advise to be prepared, have read the wiki
online before booting up the ISO image.

But +1 to Sven-Hendrik Haase's idea.

Cheers,

Rafael

Old 09-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Ike Devolder

On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 10:57:47PM +0300, vadim kochan wrote:
> Wiki is good but when you are trying to install
> arch from archiso you have not internet connection.
> Thats why i think it would be good to have some guides when you are in
> black box with
> arch and trying to setup the system (being not very familiar with *nix
> systems) :-)
>
> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 10:41 PM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh@lutzhaase.com>wrote:
>
> > vadim kochan <vadim4j@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi all,
> > >I started with Arch a few days ago and mentioned that there is only one
> > >small installation guide
> > >file.
> > >What do you think about to add more installation guide's (wireless,
> > >network, x.org ... ) ?
> > >Add some guide-generator script into archiso repo?
> > >
> > >----
> > >Thanks.
> > >Sorry for my bed english)
> >
> > You should write to arch-releng about archiso. Its devs listen there.

sorry but these days you cannot even use archiso to install a new system
without internet connection. there are no packages on the iso so you
will need to have internet. then the wiki is also available even if it
is only in text mode.

--
Ike

Old 09-08-2012, 08:54 PM
rafael ff1

2012/9/8 Ike Devolder <ike.devolder@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 10:57:47PM +0300, vadim kochan wrote:
>> Wiki is good but when you are trying to install
>> arch from archiso you have not internet connection.
>> Thats why i think it would be good to have some guides when you are in
>> black box with
>> arch and trying to setup the system (being not very familiar with *nix
>> systems) :-)

>> > You should write to arch-releng about archiso. Its devs listen there.
>> >

> sorry but these days you cannot even use archiso to install a new system
> without internet connection. there are no packages on the iso so you
> will need to have internet. then the wiki is also available even if it
> is only in text mode.
>
> --
> Ike

...which can used with text web browser or as installed package, with
one of these packages below:

community/arch-wiki-docs 20120619-1
Documentation from wiki.archlinux.org
community/arch-wiki-lite 20120619-1
The wiki without html. 1/9 as big, easily searched and viewable on console.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Kevin Chadwick

> ...which can used with text web browser or as installed package, with
> one of these packages below:
>
> community/arch-wiki-docs 20120619-1
> Documentation from wiki.archlinux.org
> community/arch-wiki-lite 20120619-1
> The wiki without html. 1/9 as big, easily searched and viewable on console.

Why not put that one package on the cd with hints in motd.

I guess you could expect many arch users to have scripts all sorted and
other machines to browse on but expecting some users to browse the web
before they have updated or configured the security and possibly
running as root (though I would hope that would never happen, it will)
seems very wrong.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)

Old 09-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Karol Blazewicz

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 9:33 PM, vadim kochan <vadim4j@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I started with Arch a few days ago and mentioned that there is only one
> small installation guide
> file.
> What do you think about to add more installation guide's (wireless,
> network, x.org ... ) ?
> Add some guide-generator script into archiso repo?

What if the wiki is not updated to reflect the changes made to the
code? Such catching up often happens days if not weeks later. With a
monthly iso release cycle and users expecting an up-to-date wiki on
the image I think we need more people contributing to the wiki.