Old 08-31-2012, 01:02 PM
Pico Geyer

Default gnome-shell performance problems

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Jan Steffens <jan.steffens@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Pico Geyer <picogeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi damjan,
>>
>> Here we go:
>> direct rendering: Yes
>> OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301)
>> GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_AMD_draw_buffers_blend,
>>
>> Pico
>
> You're using software rendering. No wonder it's slow.
>
> What's your video card? Are the drivers installed?
> How do you start gnome? startx? GDM?

Oh, I didn't realize.
llvm-pipe = software rendering?

I thought all I had to do was install xf86-video-nouveau.
I start GDM with the inittab method:
x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon

The graphics card seems to be a nvidia NVS 3100M
Here's the line from lspci:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GT218
[NVS 3100M] [10de:0a6c] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Thanks for your help.
Pico

Old 08-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Pico Geyer

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Pico Geyer <picogeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Jan Steffens <jan.steffens@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 2:06 PM, Pico Geyer <picogeyer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi damjan,
>>>
>>> Here we go:
>>> direct rendering: Yes
>>> OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301)
>>> GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_AMD_draw_buffers_blend,
>>>
>>> Pico
>>
>> You're using software rendering. No wonder it's slow.
>>
>> What's your video card? Are the drivers installed?
>> How do you start gnome? startx? GDM?
>
> Oh, I didn't realize.
> llvm-pipe = software rendering?
>
> I thought all I had to do was install xf86-video-nouveau.
> I start GDM with the inittab method:
> x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon
>
> The graphics card seems to be a nvidia NVS 3100M
> Here's the line from lspci:
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation GT218
> [NVS 3100M] [10de:0a6c] (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Pico

Ok, so I installed nouveau-dri and the problem went away.
I can't claim to understand this, I terminal output would only need
xf86-video-nouveau.
I thought nouveau-dri was mainly for opengl type acceleration.
Is there something I can go read to clear this up?

Thanks all for the help.
Pico

Old 08-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Jan Steffens

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Pico Geyer <picogeyer@gmail.com> wrote:>
> I thought nouveau-dri was mainly for opengl type acceleration.
> Is there something I can go read to clear this up?

GNOME Shell uses OpenGL.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Brandon Watkins

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Jan Steffens <jan.steffens@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Pico Geyer <picogeyer@gmail.com> wrote:>
> > I thought nouveau-dri was mainly for opengl type acceleration.
> > Is there something I can go read to clear this up?
>
> GNOME Shell uses OpenGL.

Yep, what was probably happening is since he didn't have the 3d nouveau
driver installed, gnome-shell fell back to LLVMpipe rendering which is cpu
intensive.