Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 AM
Thanos Zygouris

Default cannot set locale (systemd)

After upgrading systemd (189-3) and filesystem (2012.8-1) my locale
isn't en_US.UTF-8 anymore. Instead, it defaults to C.

# cat /etc/locale.conf:
LOCALE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE=C

# locale
LANG=C
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_PAPER="C"
LC_NAME="C"
LC_ADDRESS="C"
LC_TELEPHONE="C"
LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
LC_ALL=

I tried to run /etc/profile.d/locale.sh manually, but nothing changed.
If i manually export LANG="en_US.UTF-8", it works, but i suspect it's
not the "correct" way.

So, is there a bug, or i am just missing something?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Tom Gundersen

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Thanos Zygouris
<athanasios.zygouris@gmail.com> wrote:
> After upgrading systemd (189-3) and filesystem (2012.8-1) my locale
> isn't en_US.UTF-8 anymore. Instead, it defaults to C.
>
> # cat /etc/locale.conf:
> LOCALE=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_COLLATE=C
>
> # locale
> LANG=C
> LC_CTYPE="C"
> LC_NUMERIC="C"
> LC_TIME="C"
> LC_COLLATE=C
> LC_MONETARY="C"
> LC_MESSAGES="C"
> LC_PAPER="C"
> LC_NAME="C"
> LC_ADDRESS="C"
> LC_TELEPHONE="C"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
> LC_ALL=

Do you have a $HOME/.config/locale.conf? What does it contain?

> I tried to run /etc/profile.d/locale.sh manually, but nothing changed.
> If i manually export LANG="en_US.UTF-8", it works, but i suspect it's
> not the "correct" way.

Could you put some debug output in the if/else block to figure out
what is happening? E.g.,

if [ -n "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME" ] && [ -r "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/locale.conf" ]; then
echo "using XDG_CONFIG_HOME"
. "$XDG_CONFIG_HOME/locale.conf"
elif [ -n $HOME ] && [ -r $HOME/.config/locale.conf ]; then
echo "using HOME"
. "$HOME/.config/locale.conf"
elif [ -r /etc/locale.conf ]; then
echo "using system-wide"
. /etc/locale.conf
elif [ -r /etc/rc.conf ]; then
echo "using rc.conf"
LANG=$(. /etc/rc.conf 2>/dev/null; echo "$LOCALE")
fi

And then run it manually to see what is happening.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 08-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Kazó Csaba

2012/8/31 Thanos Zygouris <athanasios.zygouris@gmail.com>

> After upgrading systemd (189-3) and filesystem (2012.8-1) my locale
> isn't en_US.UTF-8 anymore. Instead, it defaults to C.
>
> # cat /etc/locale.conf:
> LOCALE=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_COLLATE=C
>
> # locale
> LANG=C
> LC_CTYPE="C"
> LC_NUMERIC="C"
> LC_TIME="C"
> LC_COLLATE=C
> LC_MONETARY="C"
> LC_MESSAGES="C"
> LC_PAPER="C"
> LC_NAME="C"
> LC_ADDRESS="C"
> LC_TELEPHONE="C"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
> LC_ALL=
>
> I tried to run /etc/profile.d/locale.sh manually, but nothing changed.
> If i manually export LANG="en_US.UTF-8", it works, but i suspect it's
> not the "correct" way.
>
> So, is there a bug, or i am just missing something?

Hello,

LANG is the variable you should set in locale.conf. See
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Locale#Setting_system-wide_locale

Csaba

Old 08-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Tom Gundersen

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Kazó Csaba <kazocsaba@gmail.com> wrote:
> LANG is the variable you should set in locale.conf. See
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Locale#Setting_system-wide_locale

This is it, ignore my message. Can't believe I missed that

-t

Old 08-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Thanos Zygouris

On Fri 31 Aug 11:39, Kazó Csaba wrote:
> 2012/8/31 Thanos Zygouris <athanasios.zygouris@gmail.com>
>
> > After upgrading systemd (189-3) and filesystem (2012.8-1) my locale
> > isn't en_US.UTF-8 anymore. Instead, it defaults to C.
> >
> > # cat /etc/locale.conf:
> > LOCALE=en_US.UTF-8
> > LC_COLLATE=C
> >
> > # locale
> > LANG=C
> > LC_CTYPE="C"
> > LC_NUMERIC="C"
> > LC_TIME="C"
> > LC_COLLATE=C
> > LC_MONETARY="C"
> > LC_MESSAGES="C"
> > LC_PAPER="C"
> > LC_NAME="C"
> > LC_ADDRESS="C"
> > LC_TELEPHONE="C"
> > LC_MEASUREMENT="C"
> > LC_IDENTIFICATION="C"
> > LC_ALL=
> >
> > I tried to run /etc/profile.d/locale.sh manually, but nothing changed.
> > If i manually export LANG="en_US.UTF-8", it works, but i suspect it's
> > not the "correct" way.
> >
> > So, is there a bug, or i am just missing something?
> >

> Hello,
>

> LANG is the variable you should set in locale.conf. See
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Locale#Setting_system-wide_locale
>

> Csaba

Thanks, it's working now. I gave the wiki a quick look, but this
information skipped my attention. Sorry for the noise and thanks again.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Tomás Acauan Schertel

My system was already properly configured, but after last update,
everything is en_US.

--
Tomás Schertel
Linux Registered User #304838

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Thanos Zygouris <

Old 08-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Sébastien Luttringer

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Tomás Acauan Schertel
<tschertel@gmail.com> wrote:
> My system was already properly configured, but after last update,
> everything is en_US.
You can put your local in /etc/environment or in ~/.pam_environment.

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
www.seblu.net

Old 08-31-2012, 03:10 PM
Tomás Acauan Schertel

Both /etc/locale.conf and /etc/environment have this lines:

LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES=C

And my system (LXDM + XFCE) keeps en_US.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:15 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Aug 31, 2012 5:10 PM, "Tomás Acauan Schertel" <tschertel@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Both /etc/locale.conf and /etc/environment have this lines:
>
> LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8
> LC_MESSAGES=C
>
> And my system (LXDM + XFCE) keeps en_US.

If you log in on the terminal (i.e. without starting X), do you get g the
correct locale?

Cheers,

Tom

Old 08-31-2012, 03:48 PM
Tomás Acauan Schertel

Typing locale, I get this:

[tomas@archbook ~]$ locale
LANG=pt_BR.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="pt_BR.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="pt_BR.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="pt_BR.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="pt_BR.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="pt_BR.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_PAPER="pt_BR.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="pt_BR.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="pt_BR.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="pt_BR.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="pt_BR.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="pt_BR.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

If i call date, get this:

[tomas@archbook ~]$ date
Sex Ago 31 12:46:31 BRT 2012

Date says it's Sexta (Friday) in Agosto (August). So I think my locale
configuration is partially correct. Isn't it?