-   -   libsystemd to systemd (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/699330-libsystemd-systemd.html)

08-31-2012 01:30 AM

libsystemd to systemd

On August 31, 2012 02:06:56 AM Mathieu R. wrote:
> Last update (10 minutes ago) asked me if y want switch from libsystemd
> to core/systemd. I agreed, and on next reboot, networkmanager was not
> started automaticly from rc.conf. it work well if y start it by hand
> (/etc/rc.d/networkmanager start).

Does it work if you use systemctl to enable it on boot instead? systemctl
enable NetworkManager.service

Matthew Monaco 08-31-2012 02:09 AM

libsystemd to systemd

On 08/30/2012 07:30 PM, baker.stephen.e@gmail.com wrote:
> On August 31, 2012 02:06:56 AM Mathieu R. wrote:
>> Last update (10 minutes ago) asked me if y want switch from libsystemd
>> to core/systemd. I agreed, and on next reboot, networkmanager was not
>> started automaticly from rc.conf. it work well if y start it by hand
>> (/etc/rc.d/networkmanager start).
>
> Does it work if you use systemctl to enable it on boot instead? systemctl
> enable NetworkManager.service

Mathieu,

Are you using initscripts or systemd?

"Mathieu R." 08-31-2012 07:30 AM

libsystemd to systemd

2012/8/31 Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27@0x01b.net>:
> On 08/30/2012 07:30 PM, baker.stephen.e@gmail.com wrote:
>> On August 31, 2012 02:06:56 AM Mathieu R. wrote:
>>> Last update (10 minutes ago) asked me if y want switch from libsystemd
>>> to core/systemd. I agreed, and on next reboot, networkmanager was not
>>> started automaticly from rc.conf. it work well if y start it by hand
>>> (/etc/rc.d/networkmanager start).
>>
>> Does it work if you use systemctl to enable it on boot instead? systemctl
>> enable NetworkManager.service
>>

> Mathieu,
>
> Are you using initscripts or systemd?

i had a working answer on forums, there :
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1154017#p1154017
thank you.

--
Mathieu R.

Ralf Mardorf 08-31-2012 09:04 AM

libsystemd to systemd

On Fri, 2012-08-31 at 09:30 +0200, Mathieu R. wrote:
> 2012/8/31 Matthew Monaco <dgbaley27@0x01b.net>:
> >>
> >> Does it work if you use systemctl to enable it on boot instead? systemctl
> >> enable NetworkManager.service
> >>

> > Mathieu,
> >
> > Are you using initscripts or systemd?
>
> i had a working answer on forums, there :
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1154017#p1154017
> thank you.

# pacman -Syu
:: Replace libsystemd with core/systemd? [Y/n]
# grep DAEMONS /etc/rc.conf
DAEMONS=(69switch_xorg.conf hwclock syslog-ng !network !netfs crond
acpid dbus networkmanager rtirq)

I don't understand "Eliminate the daemons one by one from rc.conf. Start
with dbus, which systemd handles very well without any action from you
at all". How can I upgrade, but keep a running system?
"69switch_xorg.conf" e.g. is a script that switch between 2 xorg.conf
regarding to the kernel I boot. If I remove all "daemons" from rc.conf,
have I then to set up systemd?

Can I simply say "no" regarding to

:: Replace libsystemd with core/systemd? [Y/n] n
:: Replace systemd-tools with core/systemd? [Y/n] n

but say yes regarding to

Targets (16): cracklib-2.8.19-1 filesystem-2012.8-1 glibc-2.16.0-4
gnutls-3.1.0-1 imagemagick-6.7.9.2-1
initscripts-2012.08.3-2 khrplatform-devel-8.0.4-3
lib32-gdk-pixbuf2-2.26.3-1
lib32-glibc-2.16.0-4 libdrm-2.4.39-1 libegl-8.0.4-3
libgbm-8.0.4-3 libglapi-8.0.4-3
libwebkit3-1.8.3-1 mesa-8.0.4-3 rpcbind-0.2.0-9

?

I can't see any information at http://www.archlinux.org/ or
https://www.archlinux.de/.

I'm confused.

Regards,
Ralf

Tom Gundersen 08-31-2012 09:14 AM

libsystemd to systemd

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> I don't understand "Eliminate the daemons one by one from rc.conf. Start
> with dbus, which systemd handles very well without any action from you
> at all". How can I upgrade, but keep a running system?

I believe that post was making the assumption that you switched to
systemd. If you do not wish to switch to systemd yet, then no action
is required. See [0] for some details.

> "69switch_xorg.conf" e.g. is a script that switch between 2 xorg.conf
> regarding to the kernel I boot. If I remove all "daemons" from rc.conf,
> have I then to set up systemd?

In order to use systemd (after the upgrade), either append
init=/bin/systemd to your kernel commandline or install
systemd-sysvcompat (which will conflict with sysvinit). If you do not,
then you'll stay with initscripts.

> Can I simply say "no" regarding to
>
> :: Replace libsystemd with core/systemd? [Y/n] n
> :: Replace systemd-tools with core/systemd? [Y/n] n
>
> but say yes regarding to

No, partial upgrades will not work well (as always). Though, as I
mentioned, saying "yes" does not really mean anything unless you
actively switch on systemd.

HTH,

Tom

[0]: <http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-August/023469.html>

Ralf Mardorf 08-31-2012 09:24 AM

libsystemd to systemd

Thank you Tom :)

On Fri, 2012-08-31 at 11:14 +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:

> If you do not wish to switch to systemd yet, then no action
> is required. See [0] for some details.

I'm not switching yet. First I'll test it in VBox, but at the moment I
don't have time to do it, I need a stable Arch Linux.
So I'll backup my current install and then upgrade, without changing
anything and hope it still will work. If not I'll restore Arch from the
backup.

IIUC the OP got issues regarding to networkmanager, while not switching
to systemd.

However, no big deal since I don't need to upgrade at the moment. I can
use my Arch without an upgrade now and do the upgrade later, when I've
got time to switch to systemd. I don't like to switch, but I guess it
will make my live easier.

Regards,
Ralf

Tom Gundersen 08-31-2012 09:34 AM

libsystemd to systemd

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> IIUC the OP got issues regarding to networkmanager, while not switching
> to systemd.

For the people not reading the forums: it seems the problem was with
the order of daemons in rc.conf, and should be unrelated to systemd.
For people not using systemd, this change should really not have any
effect at all (you'll just have some extra unused files around).

-t

Ralf Mardorf 08-31-2012 09:42 AM

libsystemd to systemd

On Fri, 2012-08-31 at 11:34 +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Ralf Mardorf
> <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > IIUC the OP got issues regarding to networkmanager, while not switching
> > to systemd.
>
> For the people not reading the forums: it seems the problem was with
> the order of daemons in rc.conf, and should be unrelated to systemd.
> For people not using systemd, this change should really not have any
> effect at all (you'll just have some extra unused files around).

And I didn't understand it/misunderstand it. Ok, now I understand and
know what to do :).

Regards,
Ralf

Kevin Chadwick 08-31-2012 10:44 AM

libsystemd to systemd

> > IIUC the OP got issues regarding to networkmanager, while not switching
> > to systemd.
>
> For the people not reading the forums: it seems the problem was with
> the order of daemons in rc.conf, and should be unrelated to systemd.
> For people not using systemd, this change should really not have any
> effect at all (you'll just have some extra unused files around).

While the cause has been explained I think we are missing the Why or is
it How.

If dbus was out of order how come it worked under initscripts? Is
it because initscripts checks the list and starts dbus early in any case
and the init script compatibility over-rid systemds similar behaviour?

You've probably answered this but I'm not sure where to look. I tried to
check the commits for systemd and libsystemd which is now missing.

I assumed they were used a little, if they are unused why are they
required, dependencies?

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)

Allan McRae 08-31-2012 11:02 AM

libsystemd to systemd

On 31/08/12 20:44, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
>>> IIUC the OP got issues regarding to networkmanager, while not switching
>>> to systemd.
>>
>> For the people not reading the forums: it seems the problem was with
>> the order of daemons in rc.conf, and should be unrelated to systemd.
>> For people not using systemd, this change should really not have any
>> effect at all (you'll just have some extra unused files around).
>
> While the cause has been explained I think we are missing the Why or is
> it How.
>
> If dbus was out of order how come it worked under initscripts? Is
> it because initscripts checks the list and starts dbus early in any case
> and the init script compatibility over-rid systemds similar behaviour?

He is not using systemd at all... So the upgrade of systemd is a
red-herring here.

Allan