Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Arno Gaboury

Default systemd-journald-syslog-ng

Dear list,

I finally managed to boot safely with systemd.
I am still wondering if journald is correctly set up.

Until now, syslog-ng is STILL unabled. Following the wiki, I changed the
line in syslog-ng.conf from:
unix-dgram("/var/run/log"); to
unix-dgram("/run/systemd/journal/syslog");
and mkdir /var/log/journal

but when I look in
/var/log/d564e939c66712bce792b0710000017f/system.journal, I only see
this:
LPKSHHRH

I am not sure it is the expected behavior!

So my question is this one:
shall I remove (or disable syslog-ng unit) to get a list of messages in
/var/.../journal?

TY for help

Old 08-31-2012, 06:07 PM
mike cloaked

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I finally managed to boot safely with systemd.
> I am still wondering if journald is correctly set up.
>
> Until now, syslog-ng is STILL unabled. Following the wiki, I changed the
> line in syslog-ng.conf from:
> unix-dgram("/var/run/log"); to
> unix-dgram("/run/systemd/journal/syslog");
> and mkdir /var/log/journal
>
> but when I look in
> /var/log/d564e939c66712bce792b0710000017f/system.journal, I only see
> this:
> LPKSHHRH
>
> I am not sure it is the expected behavior!
>
> So my question is this one:
> shall I remove (or disable syslog-ng unit) to get a list of messages in
> /var/.../journal?
>
> TY for help

I followed the advice in the systemd wiki for arch - and created
/var/log/journal/ and also limited the file size using the parameters
in the conf file as per the wiki advice.

Then also did systemctl enable syslog-ng.service which ensures that
syslog-ng is started at next boot - however I have not yet tried to
merge the syslog-ng and journal entries as per the wiki as I felt it
best to check things one step at a time - after the next boot I can
see normal syslog-ng messages in /var/log/messages.log and can read
the systemd journal using journalctl with its available parameters.

If you revert the merge changes in syslog-ng.conf do you see the
output in both the streams as per my experience above? If not then
that needs fixing first and then I guess you can try to merge the two
streams afterwards?

--
mike c