Old 08-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Matthias Traunsberger

Default systemd, locales and gvim

I have succesfully migrated to systemd on my desktop-pc and laptop. I'm
using German locale, and it's working quite well everywhere in X and in
those virtual terminals (Alt+F*), but there is an issue with my laptop
that really bugs me. I can't see underscores "_" in gvim. vim isn't
affected. My .vimrc is identical on both boxes and doesn't contain any
font or locale related settings.

Following files are identical on both boxes, too:
/etc/locale.conf:
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8

/etc/vconsole.conf:
KEYMAP="de-latin1-nodeadkeys"

uncommented lines in /etc/locale.gen and generated with
/usr/sbin/locale-gen:
de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
de_DE ISO-8859-1
de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15

Maybe someone can help me with this issue.

Cheers,

Matthias

Old 08-30-2012, 01:32 AM
"Kevin Atkinson"

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 18:03:54 -0500, Matthias Traunsberger
[...]

-----
No virus found in this message.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Rodrigo Rivas

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM, Matthias Traunsberger <
mtraunsberger@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have succesfully migrated to systemd on my desktop-pc and laptop. I'm
> using German locale, and it's working quite well everywhere in X and in
> those virtual terminals (Alt+F*), but there is an issue with my laptop
> that really bugs me. I can't see underscores "_" in gvim. vim isn't
> affected. My .vimrc is identical on both boxes and doesn't contain any
> font or locale related settings.

I'd say that it is not related to systemd or locales. Gvim is a graphical
(Gtk) application, so it should not be affected by these settings, at least
not in this way.

I'd guess it is a problem with the GUI font: the underscores fall below the
character cell and are clipped away.
Could you try changing the GUI font? You can do it with ":set guifont=*" to
choose interactively.

Regards.
--
Rodrigo

Old 08-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Matthias Traunsberger

Am 30.08.2012 11:07, schrieb Rodrigo Rivas:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM, Matthias Traunsberger <
> I'd guess it is a problem with the GUI font: the underscores fall below the
> character cell and are clipped away.
> Could you try changing the GUI font? You can do it with ":set guifont=*" to
> choose interactively.

Thank you, that's it! I set the gui font interactively like you said and
i could see them again. Then I noticed that the underscores are like 1px
below the other characters, so they may be really clipped away.
I had different dpi settings in my xfce setup and changed it to the same
as my desktop setting. Now I can use my default font in gvim again.
Thanks again for this surprisingly easy and fast solution!

Matthias