Old 08-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Arno Gaboury

Default systemd-pulseaudio-no sound card

Dear list,

I have spent now many hours trying to understand why pulseaudio is not
working when I boot with systemd, but works when booting with sysvinit.
I found the culprit could be this:
[gabx@magnolia:~]$ aplay -l
aplay: device_list:252: no soundcards found...

What is strange is that all my devices are recognised and modules
loaded.
$ lspci -v
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GF114 HDMI Audio Controller
(rev a1)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 838b
Memory at fa080000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8444
Memory at fa300000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

$ lsmod
snd_hda_intel 25700 0

$ loginctl
SESSION UID USER SEAT
1 1000 gabx seat0

1 sessions listed.

$ loginctl seat-status seat0
├ /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card0
│ (sound:card0) "PCH"
├ /sys/devic...:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.1/sound/card1
│ (sound:card1) "NVidia"

$ pulseaudio
E: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: pa_pid_file_create() failed.

when I open the volum control in XFCE panel:
GStreamer was unable to detect any sound device. Some sound system
specific GStreamer package maybe missing. It may also be a permissions
problem.

To sum up, I don't understand why my sound devices are not recognized. I
may have misconfigured something in systemd set up, but I have no idea.

Thank you for your help, as this is the only issue when booting with
systemd.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 16:04 +0200, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> this is the only issue when booting with systemd.

There is a certain irony in the fact that the "only" issue is regarding
to systemd + pulseaudio and not when booting with sysvinit ;D.

Rollin', rollin', rollin' ...