Old 08-29-2012, 03:22 AM
Brandon Watkins

Default Is Nouveau 2D or 3D acceleration driver for nVidia cards?

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Kelvin <kelvin9302104@gmail.com> wrote:

> The description of package xf86-video-nouveau (
> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/xf86-video-nouveau) is
> "Open
> Source 2D acceleration driver for nVidia cards", but Arch Wiki(
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau) says that it is "Open Source
> 3D acceleration graphics driver for NVIDIA cards". Is there any mistakes?

Both. afiak it started out as a 2d driver, but these days it also has
[limited] 3d acceleration.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 AM
Kelvin

2012/8/29 Brandon Watkins <bwat47@gmail.com>

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Kelvin <kelvin9302104@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The description of package xf86-video-nouveau (
> > http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/xf86-video-nouveau) is
> > "Open
> > Source 2D acceleration driver for nVidia cards", but Arch Wiki(
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau) says that it is "Open
> Source
> > 3D acceleration graphics driver for NVIDIA cards". Is there any mistakes?
> >
> Both. afiak it started out as a 2d driver, but these days it also has
> [limited] 3d acceleration.

Thanks. I found this page after I have posted this.
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix
The support is really very limited.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:31 AM
fredbezies

Le 29 août 2012 05:26, "Kelvin" <kelvin9302104@gmail.com> a écrit :

> 2012/8/29 Brandon Watkins <bwat47@gmail.com>
>
> > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Kelvin <kelvin9302104@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > > The description of package xf86-video-nouveau (
> > > http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/xf86-video-nouveau) is
> > > "Open
> > > Source 2D acceleration driver for nVidia cards", but Arch Wiki(
> > > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau) says that it is "Open
> > Source
> > > 3D acceleration graphics driver for NVIDIA cards". Is there any
mistakes?

> > Both. afiak it started out as a 2d driver, but these days it also has
> > [limited] 3d acceleration.
> >
> Thanks. I found this page after I have posted this.
> http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix
> The support is really very limited.

Sure. But at least, screen capture fully works, not only full screen. Try
taking à single window screenshot with nvidia drivers... Result is very...
unuseful. Don't remember bug number, but look on archlinux bug tracker.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:50 AM
DR

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Kelvin <kelvin9302104@gmail.com> wrote:

> The description of package xf86-video-nouveau (
> http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/xf86-video-nouveau) is
> "Open
> Source 2D acceleration driver for nVidia cards", but Arch Wiki(
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau) says that it is "Open Source
> 3D acceleration graphics driver for NVIDIA cards". Is there any mistakes?

xf86-video-nouveau is for 2d acceleration. nouveau-dri is for 3d.