FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux General Discussion

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Andre Goree
 
Default xf86-video-intel-2.20.5

On 08/27/2012 03:13 PM, Tobias Jansson wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I run the Asus Zenbook UX31E sporting a Intel HD 3000. For me the upgrade
> posed no issues.
> It won't help you fix your problems, but at least other users could try
> upgrading knowing that not all users have issues.
>
> Regards,
> Tobias
>

Nice, that's actually exactly what I run too (well, the UX31A in my
case), so I suppose I don't have much to worry about. Thanks for that!

--
Andre Goree
andre@drenet.info
 
Old 08-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Andre Goree
 
Default xf86-video-intel-2.20.5

On 08/27/2012 01:20 PM, Andre Goree wrote:
> On 08/27/2012 01:03 PM, Jameson wrote:
>> Updating xf86-video-intel to 2.20.5 today results in my DRM driver
>> hanging when I try to use compiz. Has anyone else seen this, or am I
>> just lucky with my hardware configuration? Does anyone know of
>> something new that got turned on by default in this version that could
>> result in this:
>>
>> Aug 27 12:39:09 localhost kernel: [ 4.733046] [drm] Initialized
>> i915 1.6.0 20080730 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
>> Aug 27 12:42:27 localhost kernel: [ 219.129987]
>> [drm:i915_hangcheck_ring_idle] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed...
>> render ring idle
>> Aug 27 12:42:37 localhost kernel: [ 220.723319]
>> [drm:i915_hangcheck_ring_idle] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed...
>> render ring idle
>> Aug 27 12:42:37 localhost kernel: [ 222.229987]
>> [drm:i915_hangcheck_ring_idle] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed...
>> render ring idle
>> Aug 27 12:42:37 localhost kernel: [ 222.230044]
>> [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
>> Aug 27 12:42:37 localhost kernel: [ 222.230087] [drm] capturing error
>> event; look for more information in /debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
>>
>> I'll be happy to post more information, and/or a bug later if that
>> will be helpful. For now, I need to get caught back up at work.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> =-Jameson
>>
>
>
> Interesting (glad I didn't proceed with the update). Given that I'm at
> work right now, I'll hold off on my update/reboot until later this
> evening, and let you know if I get the same error.
>
> I'm not actually using Compiz, but rather Kwin...though since it's a
> kernel-level issue, I guess we'll see how much that matters.
>
>

I indeed ended up having an issue with Kwin that actually was causing
KDE to crash. After downgrading to
xf86-video-intel-2.20.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz, the issue ceased.

For whatever reason, it was causing "X BadWindow" and "Fatal IO" errors,
e.g.:

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
Resource id: 0x30000ee
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
Resource id: 0x30000ee
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 18 (X_ChangeProperty)
Resource id: 0x30000ee
plasma-desktop(3002)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton)
KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
MNG error 11: Function is invalid at this point; chunk IHDR; subcode 0:0
kopete(3110): No language dictionaries for the language : "en_US"

plasma-desktop(3002)/plasma StatusNotifierItemSource::refreshCallback:
DBusMenu disabled for this application
enigmail.js: Registered components
caught error TypeError: Cc['@mozilla.org/mime/pgp-mime-decrypt;1'] is
undefinedmimeDecrypt.jsm: MimeDecryptor registration
doneplasma-desktop(3002)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton)
KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
Resource id: 0x1e020c7
krdc(3272)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
kwin: Fatal IO error: client killed

kdeinit4: Fatal IO error: client killed



--
Andre Goree
andre@drenet.info
 
Old 08-28-2012, 04:44 PM
Jameson
 
Default xf86-video-intel-2.20.5

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Andre Goree <andre@drenet.info> wrote:
> On 08/27/2012 01:20 PM, Andre Goree wrote:
>> On 08/27/2012 01:03 PM, Jameson wrote:
>>> Updating xf86-video-intel to 2.20.5 today results in my DRM driver
>>> hanging when I try to use compiz. Has anyone else seen this, or am I
>>> just lucky with my hardware configuration? Does anyone know of
>>> something new that got turned on by default in this version that could
>>> result in this:
>>>
>>> Aug 27 12:39:09 localhost kernel: [ 4.733046] [drm] Initialized
>>> i915 1.6.0 20080730 for 0000:00:02.0 on minor 0
>>> Aug 27 12:42:27 localhost kernel: [ 219.129987]
>>> [drm:i915_hangcheck_ring_idle] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed...
>>> render ring idle
>>> Aug 27 12:42:37 localhost kernel: [ 220.723319]
>>> [drm:i915_hangcheck_ring_idle] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed...
>>> render ring idle
>>> Aug 27 12:42:37 localhost kernel: [ 222.229987]
>>> [drm:i915_hangcheck_ring_idle] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed...
>>> render ring idle
>>> Aug 27 12:42:37 localhost kernel: [ 222.230044]
>>> [drm:i915_hangcheck_hung] *ERROR* Hangcheck timer elapsed... GPU hung
>>> Aug 27 12:42:37 localhost kernel: [ 222.230087] [drm] capturing error
>>> event; look for more information in /debug/dri/0/i915_error_state
>>>
>>> I'll be happy to post more information, and/or a bug later if that
>>> will be helpful. For now, I need to get caught back up at work.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> =-Jameson
>>>
>>
>>
>> Interesting (glad I didn't proceed with the update). Given that I'm at
>> work right now, I'll hold off on my update/reboot until later this
>> evening, and let you know if I get the same error.
>>
>> I'm not actually using Compiz, but rather Kwin...though since it's a
>> kernel-level issue, I guess we'll see how much that matters.
>>
>>
>
> I indeed ended up having an issue with Kwin that actually was causing
> KDE to crash. After downgrading to
> xf86-video-intel-2.20.4-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz, the issue ceased.

I opened a bug report. https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31317
 
Old 08-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Neil Perry
 
Default xf86-video-intel-2.20.5

>
>
> I opened a bug report. https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/31317
>
It seems to be SNA causing the problem. I have swapped over to UXA for the
time being, been stable for the like 3 hours.

Neil
 
Old 08-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Joakim Hernberg
 
Default xf86-video-intel-2.20.5

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:55:46 +0100
Neil Perry <nperry@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems to be SNA causing the problem. I have swapped over to UXA
> for the time being, been stable for the like 3 hours.

Is the default still UXA mode?

---

Joakim
 
Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Jameson
 
Default xf86-video-intel-2.20.5

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Neil Perry <nperry@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to be SNA causing the problem. I have swapped over to UXA for the
> time being, been stable for the like 3 hours.

Yep. UXA is working fine for me, also.

=-Jameson
 
Old 08-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Genes MailLists
 
Default xf86-video-intel-2.20.5

On 08/28/2012 02:43 PM, Jameson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Neil Perry <nperry@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It seems to be SNA causing the problem. I have swapped over to UXA for the
>> time being, been stable for the like 3 hours.
>
> Yep. UXA is working fine for me, also.

For what its worth - i still have crashes with UXA just very much less
frequent.

I logged it here: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/30921

gene/
 
Old 08-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Brandon Watkins
 
Default xf86-video-intel-2.20.5

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:

> On 08/28/2012 02:43 PM, Jameson wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Neil Perry <nperry@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> It seems to be SNA causing the problem. I have swapped over to UXA for
> the
> >> time being, been stable for the like 3 hours.
> >
> > Yep. UXA is working fine for me, also.
>
> For what its worth - i still have crashes with UXA just very much less
> frequent.
>
> I logged it here: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/30921
>
> gene/
>
Works excellent here with intel ironlake and sna
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org