-   -   merging systemd back to a singular package (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/698026-merging-systemd-back-singular-package.html)

Heiko Baums 08-27-2012 05:59 AM

merging systemd back to a singular package

Am Sun, 26 Aug 2012 17:15:39 -0400
schrieb Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com>:

> I apologize for this being somewhat after-the-fact. It was discussed
> on IRC, but that of course doesn't necessarily cater to a wide enough
> audience. Some of you have probably already noticed that systemd 189
> now provides, conflicts, and replaces libsystemd and systemd-tools.
> This is the next logical step since systemd will eventually be in
> base once we have sufficient unit coverage.
>
> As an added bonus, maybe this will encourage people who haven't
> switched over yet to do so. ;)

"Nobody is forcing systemd on anybody."

Wasn't it this what was always said by the devs in all those long
threads about systemd? And what are you doing now? Isn't this not
forcing it on everybody?

"Nobody has the intention to build a wall."

Heiko

Ike Devolder 08-27-2012 06:23 AM

Op maandag 27 augustus 2012 07:59:52 schreef Heiko Baums:
> Am Sun, 26 Aug 2012 17:15:39 -0400
>
> schrieb Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com>:
> > I apologize for this being somewhat after-the-fact. It was discussed
> > on IRC, but that of course doesn't necessarily cater to a wide enough
> > audience. Some of you have probably already noticed that systemd 189
> > now provides, conflicts, and replaces libsystemd and systemd-tools.
> > This is the next logical step since systemd will eventually be in
> > base once we have sufficient unit coverage.
> >
> > As an added bonus, maybe this will encourage people who haven't
> > switched over yet to do so. ;)
>
> "Nobody is forcing systemd on anybody."
>
> Wasn't it this what was always said by the devs in all those long
> threads about systemd? And what are you doing now? Isn't this not
> forcing it on everybody?
>
> "Nobody has the intention to build a wall."
>
> Heiko

Ok:

fact:
- you will have all the systemd stuff installed on your system (you already had
most of it on your system anyway)
- initscripts is still working fine without interference of systemd

so you are right, you are forced to install it. but you are wrong that you are
forced to use it.
and eventually only one init system will be left and now it is looking very
much in favour of systemd.

--Ike

Sven-Hendrik Haase 08-27-2012 06:24 AM

Heiko Baums <lists@baums-on-web.de> wrote:

Am Sun, 26 Aug 2012 17:15:39 -0400
schrieb Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com>:

> I apologize for this being somewhat after-the-fact. It was discussed
> on IRC, but that of course doesn't necessarily cater to a wide enough
> audience. Some of you have probably already noticed that systemd 189
> now provides, conflicts, and replaces libsystemd and systemd-tools.
> This is the next logical step since systemd will eventually be in
> base once we have sufficient unit coverage.
>
> As an added bonus, maybe this will encourage people who haven't
> switched over yet to do so. ;)

"Nobody is forcing systemd on anybody."

Wasn't it this what was always said by the devs in all those long
threads about systemd? And what are you doing now? Isn't this not
forcing it on everybody?

"Nobody has the intention to build a wall."

Heiko

Up till now you didn't have a choice, you had to use initscripts and you liked it. Why don't you take over maintenance of them so people can keep using them?

Geert Hendrickx 08-27-2012 07:04 AM

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 17:15:39 -0400, Dave Reisner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologize for this being somewhat after-the-fact. It was discussed on
> IRC, but that of course doesn't necessarily cater to a wide enough
> audience. Some of you have probably already noticed that systemd 189 now
> provides, conflicts, and replaces libsystemd and systemd-tools. This is
> the next logical step since systemd will eventually be in base once we
> have sufficient unit coverage.
>
> As an added bonus, maybe this will encourage people who haven't switched
> over yet to do so. ;)

A systemd upgrade question (not related to this particular update),
do you generally need to reboot when systemd is upgraded?

Geert

--
geert.hendrickx.be :: geert@hendrickx.be :: PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F

Jayesh Badwaik 08-28-2012 04:35 AM

On Monday 27 Aug 2012 11:30:46 Joakim Hernberg wrote:
> I don't run gnome, but kde is just as bad in this case :(

I use KDE regularly. It works perfectly fine with/without pulseaudio.
(Actually since archlinux does not install pulseaudio by default, I did
not notice it was not installed for a long time, until it tried firing up
pavucontrol and saw it was not installed and neither was any pulseaudio
package.) Also, there is no systemd dependency in KDE.

So, KDE might be bad for you in general, but in this case, it is
definitely good.

--
Jayesh Badwaik
stop html mail | always bottom-post

Jayesh Badwaik 08-28-2012 10:55 AM

merging systemd back to a singular package

Hi,

Apparently, Gentoo has recently forked udev. [1] I am not completely
sure since the main poster is a n00b according to the gentoo forum
ratings, but rest of the discussions seems legit.

--
Cheers and Regards

Jayesh Badwaik 08-28-2012 06:37 PM

merging systemd back to a singular package

Ahh, I thought so. It was only forked yesterday, so there is not much to
be expected in terms of changes right now. But going by the number of
veterans and others who have commented on it, I thought that it is
possible that this is legit. Also, the guys there are talking like they
are the one going to be making the changes.