Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 AM
"Juan R. de Silva"

Default Cannot chainload arch core.img from legacy GRUB installed in MBR.

While installing and configuring grub-bios files for my new Arch
installation I followed GRUB2 wiki article.

In the section "Install grub-bios boot files" I opted to the option
"Generate core.img alone" to "generate a /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img file
without embedding any grub-bios bootsector code in the MBR, post-MBR
region, or the partition bootsector".

At this point GRUB2 article says:"You can then chainload GRUB2's core.img
from GRUB Legacy or syslinux as a Linux kernel or a multiboot kernel."

I also generated grub.cfg file as per GNOME2 wiki, though it was not
totally clear to me why this step was required for "Generate core.img
alone" option.

To chainload my new installation I entered the following lines in
menu.lst
of my Legacy GRUB installed in MBR:

title Arch Linux 2012.8.04 (/dev/sda3)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img

While trying to chainload Arch my Legacy GRUB just hangs up displaying
the last line without error messages.

Am I missing something, or the installation instructions are erroneous?
Could somebody help me, please?

Thanks.