Old 08-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Paul Gideon Dann

Default systemd-readahead

Hello all,

Does anyone know if system-readahead is supposed to work in our current
package? For me, there is an error message during boot (something about an
event being too large to process), and there is no /.readahead file created.
systemctl also reports a non-zero exit status, but no log entry, and I can't
find the actual error message in the journal or dmesg.

Does someone have this working?

Paul

Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-08-22 at 11:27 +0100, Paul Gideon Dann wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know if system-readahead is supposed to work in our current
> package? For me, there is an error message during boot (something about an
> event being too large to process), and there is no /.readahead file created.
> systemctl also reports a non-zero exit status, but no log entry, and I can't
> find the actual error message in the journal or dmesg.
>
> Does someone have this working?
>
> Paul

Wow, is it Red Hat or Arch?
I really wonder that commercial stuff as Novell and RedHat becomes
important for really free stuff . Please let us-american commerce
become part of every thing of our lives .

It's really hard to be quiet .

Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Wed, 2012-08-22 at 12:39 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> system-readahead

Apologize, I'm a dyslexic . read a head vs readhat for me . I'm
serious.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Denis A. Altoé Falqueto

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 7:27 AM, Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know if system-readahead is supposed to work in our current
> package? For me, there is an error message during boot (something about an
> event being too large to process), and there is no /.readahead file created.
> systemctl also reports a non-zero exit status, but no log entry, and I can't
> find the actual error message in the journal or dmesg.
>
> Does someone have this working?

Can you post the exact error message and the point where it happens? I
have read ahead enabled and the file /.readahread is there. I just
followed Arch's wiki on systemd.

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?

Denis A. Altoe Falqueto
Linux user #524555

Old 08-22-2012, 10:48 AM
John K Pate

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:27:07 +0100
Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone know if system-readahead is supposed to work in our current
> package? For me, there is an error message during boot (something about an
> event being too large to process), and there is no /.readahead file created.
> systemctl also reports a non-zero exit status, but no log entry, and I can't
> find the actual error message in the journal or dmesg.
>
> Does someone have this working?

I do, set up in the completely straightforward way:

# systemctl enable systemd-readahead-collect.service
# systemctl enable systemd-readahead-replay.service

I didn't do anything special, and it works fine:

$ ls -l /.readahead
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17377 Aug 22 09:30 /.readahead

--
John K Pate http://jkpate.net/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Paul Gideon Dann

On Wednesday 22 Aug 2012 11:48:08 John K Pate wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 11:27:07 +0100
> I do, set up in the completely straightforward way:
>
> # systemctl enable systemd-readahead-collect.service
> # systemctl enable systemd-readahead-replay.service
>
> I didn't do anything special, and it works fine:
>
> $ ls -l /.readahead
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 17377 Aug 22 09:30 /.readahead

OK, thanks both. I don't really have time to look into it properly, but now I
know it's definitely something to do with my setup. I'll just let this one go
for now.

Thanks for the info,
Paul

Old 08-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Kevin Chadwick

> OK, thanks both. I don't really have time to look into it properly, but now I
> know it's definitely something to do with my setup. I'll just let this one go
> for now.

I have a fedora system which I use for a task but I installed fedora on
awhile ago just to find out about systemd and it's default selinux
policies. I don't think it applies to your issue but there is quite a
lot of seemingly pointless error message pollution from systemd in the
logs and fedoras had systemd for ages.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)