Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Thomas Bächler

Default lib -> usr/lib move, glibc and curl

Am 21.08.2012 10:25, schrieb Christian Hesse:
> pacman -Syud --ignore glibc
>
> and ended in a broken package manager. pacman is linked against libcurl,
> which is compiled against glibc 2.16.0 and includes versioned symbols.
> Luckily I had an old curl package around to temporarily fix the problem and
> update the system.
>
> Others may be out of luck, so... Do you think this needs some more
> investigation?

This is known, and I don't think we can properly fix it, at least not
anymore.

Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Christian Hesse

Thomas Bächler <thomas@archlinux.org> on Tue, 2012/08/21 10:43:
> Am 21.08.2012 10:25, schrieb Christian Hesse:
> > pacman -Syud --ignore glibc
> >
> > and ended in a broken package manager. pacman is linked against libcurl,
> > which is compiled against glibc 2.16.0 and includes versioned symbols.
> > Luckily I had an old curl package around to temporarily fix the problem
> > and update the system.
> >
> > Others may be out of luck, so... Do you think this needs some more
> > investigation?
>
> This is known, and I don't think we can properly fix it, at least not
> anymore.

Oh, the commands in the wiki exclude curl now. Did not notice that.

I am fine with the situation, I can deal with these things. Hopefully others
will read the wiki.
--
main(a){char*c=/* Schoene Gruesse */"B?IJj;MEH"
"CX:;",b;for(a/* Chris get my mail address: */=0;b=c[a++]

Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Paul Gideon Dann

On Tuesday 21 Aug 2012 11:05:07 Christian Hesse wrote:
> Oh, the commands in the wiki exclude curl now. Did not notice that.
>
> I am fine with the situation, I can deal with these things. Hopefully others
> will read the wiki.

For those like me that followed the news article's instructions first and ran
into the curl issue, I fixed this by coping the old curl package (that was just
replaced) from /var/cache/pacman/pkg into an empty subdirectory in my home
directory and unpacked it. Then, as root I replaced the
/usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.2.0 library with the one found in the package. This
fixed pacman, allowing me to downgrade curl properly with "pacman -U".

The rest can then be done as described on the wiki page.

Paul

Old 08-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Christian Hesse

Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie@gmail.com> on Tue, 2012/08/21 11:01:
> On Tuesday 21 Aug 2012 11:05:07 Christian Hesse wrote:
> > Oh, the commands in the wiki exclude curl now. Did not notice that.
> >
> > I am fine with the situation, I can deal with these things. Hopefully
> > others will read the wiki.
>
> For those like me that followed the news article's instructions first and
> ran into the curl issue, I fixed this by coping the old curl package (that
> was just replaced) from /var/cache/pacman/pkg into an empty subdirectory in
> my home directory and unpacked it. Then, as root I replaced the
> /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.2.0 library with the one found in the package. This
> fixed pacman, allowing me to downgrade curl properly with "pacman -U".
>
> The rest can then be done as described on the wiki page.

That is exactly what I did.

And do not forget to reinstall curl to have the recent version in place.

Old 08-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Daniel Wallace

On Aug 21, 2012 6:04 AM, "Christian Hesse" <list@eworm.de> wrote:

> Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie@gmail.com> on Tue, 2012/08/21 11:01:
> > On Tuesday 21 Aug 2012 11:05:07 Christian Hesse wrote:
> > > Oh, the commands in the wiki exclude curl now. Did not notice that.
> > >
> > > I am fine with the situation, I can deal with these things. Hopefully
> > > others will read the wiki.
> >
> > For those like me that followed the news article's instructions first
and
> > ran into the curl issue, I fixed this by coping the old curl package
(that
> > was just replaced) from /var/cache/pacman/pkg into an empty
subdirectory in
> > my home directory and unpacked it. Then, as root I replaced the
> > /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4.2.0 library with the one found in the package.
This
> > fixed pacman, allowing me to downgrade curl properly with "pacman -U".
> >
> > The rest can then be done as described on the wiki page.
>
> That is exactly what I did.
>
> And do not forget to reinstall curl to have the recent version in place.
> --
> main(a){char*c=/* Schoene Gruesse */"B?IJj;MEH"
> "CX:;",b;for(a/* Chris get my mail address:
*/=0;b=c[a++]
> putchar(b-1/(/* gcc -o sig sig.c && ./sig
*/b/42*2-3)*42);}

You could have untared the old package into an empty directory, then from a
root shell used LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/old/libcurl.so pacman -Su

Old 08-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Damjan

pacman -Syud --ignore glibc

and ended in a broken package manager. pacman is linked against libcurl,
which is compiled against glibc 2.16.0 and includes versioned symbols.
Luckily I had an old curl package around to temporarily fix the problem and
update the system.

Others may be out of luck, so... Do you think this needs some more
investigation?

This is known, and I don't think we can properly fix it, at least not
anymore.

How about adding pacman to the default failsafe initramfs.
That way, if anything goes wrong with a big update like this, one could
finish it up from that initramfs.

--
дамјан

Old 08-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Matthew Monaco

On 08/22/2012 03:54 PM, Damjan wrote:
>>> pacman -Syud --ignore glibc
>>>
>>> and ended in a broken package manager. pacman is linked against libcurl,
>>> which is compiled against glibc 2.16.0 and includes versioned symbols.
>>> Luckily I had an old curl package around to temporarily fix the problem and
>>> update the system.
>>>
>>> Others may be out of luck, so... Do you think this needs some more
>>> investigation?
>>
>> This is known, and I don't think we can properly fix it, at least not
>> anymore.
>
> How about adding pacman to the default failsafe initramfs.
> That way, if anything goes wrong with a big update like this, one could finish
> it up from that initramfs.

Feel free to do that yourself. I don't want my initrd's to be rescue images as
well. And if I did, there'd be a whole bunch of other stuff I'd want too. I have
at least one system where I only allocated 32 MB for /boot (my bad, but don't
feel like fixing any time soon), and don't need the default initrd to grow. In
fact, I've never had a problem that fallback would fix and would rather not even
have it...

I'd be in favor of a "rescue" hook though that someone may optionally add.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Thomas Bächler

Am 23.08.2012 00:54, schrieb Damjan:
>>> pacman -Syud --ignore glibc
>>>
>>> and ended in a broken package manager. pacman is linked against libcurl,
>>> which is compiled against glibc 2.16.0 and includes versioned symbols.
>>> Luckily I had an old curl package around to temporarily fix the
>>> problem and
>>> update the system.
>>>
>>> Others may be out of luck, so... Do you think this needs some more
>>> investigation?
>>
>> This is known, and I don't think we can properly fix it, at least not
>> anymore.
>
> How about adding pacman to the default failsafe initramfs.
> That way, if anything goes wrong with a big update like this, one could
> finish it up from that initramfs.

Actually a neat idea. Copy mkinitcpio.conf to mkinitcpio-pacman.conf,
add this in mkinitcpio-pacman.conf:

BINARIES="pacman"
FILES="/etc/pacman.conf /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist"

Then, edit /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset:

Add:

pacman_config="/etc/mkinitcpio-pacman.conf"
pacman_image="/boot/initramfs-linux-pacman.img"

and add 'pacman' to the PRESETS line.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:28 AM
Jayesh Badwaik

On Thursday 23 Aug 2012 01:28:58 Thomas Bächler wrote:
> BINARIES="pacman"
> FILES="/etc/pacman.conf /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist"
>
> Then, edit /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset:
>
> Add:
>
> pacman_config="/etc/mkinitcpio-pacman.conf"
> pacman_image="/boot/initramfs-linux-pacman.img"
>
> and add 'pacman' to the PRESETS line.

If this is done, would libcurl be automatically pulled into the initrd?

--
Cheers and Regards
Jayesh Badwaik

Old 08-23-2012, 07:11 AM
Thomas Bächler

Am 23.08.2012 05:28, schrieb Jayesh Badwaik:
> On Thursday 23 Aug 2012 01:28:58 Thomas Bächler wrote:
>> BINARIES="pacman"
>> FILES="/etc/pacman.conf /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist"
>>
>> Then, edit /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset:
>>
>> Add:
>>
>> pacman_config="/etc/mkinitcpio-pacman.conf"
>> pacman_image="/boot/initramfs-linux-pacman.img"
>>
>> and add 'pacman' to the PRESETS line.
>
> If this is done, would libcurl be automatically pulled into the initrd?

Yes.

But I forgot that you need to manually add gnupg. This requires at least
/usr/bin/gnupg.

This will only work if you download all packages beforehand, adding
proper network support to initramfs is even more complicated.