Old 08-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Robbie Smith

Default Fine-tuning font settings (GTK?)

Although it's improved a lot, I still get the occasional colour fringes
around some glyphs, and I find that really distracting. Yet for some
reason the subpixel rendering seems set as default, and no setting I
change switches back to the greyscale rendering that looks far better to
me. This only affects GTK+ applications, and I only get the fringes
around a handful of characters on black-on-white, but it's enough to be
noticeable when I'm tired or I have the screen brightness turned up.

I've tried changing settings locally in ~/.config/gtk3/settings.ini,
I've tinkered with the settings in /etc/fonts (including creating a
custom style with Infinality), and yet it still persists. Does anyone
know how to fix it?

I have these settings in fontconfig's conf:

<match target="font">
<edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
<const>none</const>
</edit>
<edit name="hinting" mode="assign">
<bool>true</bool>
</edit>
<edit name="autohint" mode="assign">
<bool>true</bool>
</edit>
<edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
<bool>true</bool>
</edit>
<edit name="hintstyle" mode="assign">
<const>hintslight</const>
</edit>
<edit name="lcdfilter" mode="assign">
<const>lcddefault</const>
</edit>
</match>

And the GTK settings.ini has:

gtk-xft-antialias = 1
gtk-xft-hinting = 1
gtk-xft-hintstyle = hintslight
gtk-xft-rgba = none

Old 08-20-2012, 02:22 PM
bohoomil

Are you currently using infinality, or have you already reverted back to
the generic freetype2? Infinality does offer what you want as long as you
take your time and learn how it works. The crucial file can be found in
/etc/profile.d/infinality-something.sh. If you wish, you can try using my
settings as a starting point (to be found @ github).

Regards,

bohoomil