FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux General Discussion

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Martin Zecher
 
Default kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement: NetworkManager is not running. Please start it.

First of all, I know this has been talked about many times already, but I
still have this problem (since about 3 months now) and haven't found a way
to fix it.
Most of the info is in this thread, but no one seems to be following it so
I decided to ask in mail list:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1147741#p1147741

I use systemd + KDM + KDE
Whenever I login into KDE, the applet says "NetworkManager is not running.
Please start it." Networkmanager is indeed running and connects fine to
previously configured networks. If I logout from KDE, restart
networkmanager daemon in a shell and the relogin into KDE, it works fine.

I am in this groups: adm tty disk lp wheel uucp hal network video audio
optical floppy storage scanner power users lapsus networkmanager adbusers
lpadmin boinc

I also tried with testing's networkmanager 0.9.6.0-1 and
kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement 1:0.9.0.4-1 without luck.

I would really appreciate some help with this annoyance.


--
Martin

Código de novios Falabella: 585855-00 (gracias!)

No envíen archivos pesados por mail.
Usen DropBox <https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTIwODk0MDk> (2GB + *500MB
bonus*) o SpiderOak<https://spideroak.com/download/referral/dd6b3051b5f1f10a5674d694f22dd3e8>(tras
registrarse vayan a 'buy more space' e ingresen el código
"worldbackupday" --> *8GB*)
 
Old 08-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Kwpolska
 
Default kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement: NetworkManager is not running. Please start it.

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Martin Zecher <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all, I know this has been talked about many times already, but I
> still have this problem (since about 3 months now) and haven't found a way
> to fix it.
> Most of the info is in this thread, but no one seems to be following it so
> I decided to ask in mail list:
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1147741#p1147741
>
> I use systemd + KDM + KDE
> Whenever I login into KDE, the applet says "NetworkManager is not running.
> Please start it." Networkmanager is indeed running and connects fine to
> previously configured networks. If I logout from KDE, restart
> networkmanager daemon in a shell and the relogin into KDE, it works fine.
>
> I am in this groups: adm tty disk lp wheel uucp hal network video audio
> optical floppy storage scanner power users lapsus networkmanager adbusers
> lpadmin boinc
>
> I also tried with testing's networkmanager 0.9.6.0-1 and
> kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement 1:0.9.0.4-1 without luck.
>
> I would really appreciate some help with this annoyance.
>
>
> --
> Martin
>
> Código de novios Falabella: 585855-00 (gracias!)
>
> No envíen archivos pesados por mail.
> Usen DropBox <https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTIwODk0MDk> (2GB + *500MB
> bonus*) o SpiderOak<https://spideroak.com/download/referral/dd6b3051b5f1f10a5674d694f22dd3e8>(tras
> registrarse vayan a 'buy more space' e ingresen el código
> "worldbackupday" --> *8GB*)

Looks like you need:

systemctl enable NetworkManager.service

or something like that. (case-sensitive, but might as well be lowercase!)

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail | always bottom-post
www.asciiribbon.org | www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16
 
Old 08-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Martin Zecher
 
Default kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement: NetworkManager is not running. Please start it.

On Aug 19, 2012 2:06 PM, "Kwpolska" <kwpolska@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Martin Zecher <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:
> > First of all, I know this has been talked about many times already, but
I
> > still have this problem (since about 3 months now) and haven't found a
way
> > to fix it.
> > Most of the info is in this thread, but no one seems to be following it
so
> > I decided to ask in mail list:
> > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1147741#p1147741
> >
> > I use systemd + KDM + KDE
> > Whenever I login into KDE, the applet says "NetworkManager is not
running.
> > Please start it." Networkmanager is indeed running and connects fine to
> > previously configured networks. If I logout from KDE, restart
> > networkmanager daemon in a shell and the relogin into KDE, it works
fine.
> >
> > I am in this groups: adm tty disk lp wheel uucp hal network video audio
> > optical floppy storage scanner power users lapsus networkmanager
adbusers
> > lpadmin boinc
> >
> > I also tried with testing's networkmanager 0.9.6.0-1 and
> > kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement 1:0.9.0.4-1 without luck.
> >
> > I would really appreciate some help with this annoyance.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Martin
> >
> > Código de novios Falabella: 585855-00 (gracias!)
> >
> > No envíen archivos pesados por mail.
> > Usen DropBox <https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTIwODk0MDk> (2GB +
*500MB
> > bonus*) o SpiderOak<
https://spideroak.com/download/referral/dd6b3051b5f1f10a5674d694f22dd3e8
>(tras
> > registrarse vayan a 'buy more space' e ingresen el código
> > "worldbackupday" --> *8GB*)
>
> Looks like you need:
>
> systemctl enable NetworkManager.service
>
> or something like that. (case-sensitive, but might as well be lowercase!)
>
> --
> Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
> stop html mail | always bottom-post
> www.asciiribbon.org | www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
> GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16

Thanks a lot Kwpolska. I already have the corresponding service enabled in
systemd.
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Martin Zecher
 
Default kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement: NetworkManager is not running. Please start it.

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Martin Zecher <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:

>
> On Aug 19, 2012 2:06 PM, "Kwpolska" <kwpolska@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Martin Zecher <mzecher@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > First of all, I know this has been talked about many times already,
> but I
> > > still have this problem (since about 3 months now) and haven't found a
> way
> > > to fix it.
> > > Most of the info is in this thread, but no one seems to be following
> it so
> > > I decided to ask in mail list:
> > > https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1147741#p1147741
> > >
> > > I use systemd + KDM + KDE
> > > Whenever I login into KDE, the applet says "NetworkManager is not
> running.
> > > Please start it." Networkmanager is indeed running and connects fine to
> > > previously configured networks. If I logout from KDE, restart
> > > networkmanager daemon in a shell and the relogin into KDE, it works
> fine.
> > >
> > > I am in this groups: adm tty disk lp wheel uucp hal network video audio
> > > optical floppy storage scanner power users lapsus networkmanager
> adbusers
> > > lpadmin boinc
> > >
> > > I also tried with testing's networkmanager 0.9.6.0-1 and
> > > kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement 1:0.9.0.4-1 without luck.
> > >
> > > I would really appreciate some help with this annoyance.
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > > Martin
> > >
> > > Código de novios Falabella: 585855-00 (gracias!)
> > >
> > > No envíen archivos pesados por mail.
> > > Usen DropBox <https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTIwODk0MDk> (2GB +
> *500MB
> > > bonus*) o SpiderOak<
> https://spideroak.com/download/referral/dd6b3051b5f1f10a5674d694f22dd3e8
> >(tras
> > > registrarse vayan a 'buy more space' e ingresen el código
> > > "worldbackupday" --> *8GB*)
> >
> > Looks like you need:
> >
> > systemctl enable NetworkManager.service
> >
> > or something like that. (case-sensitive, but might as well be
> lowercase!)
> >
> > --
> > Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
> > stop html mail | always bottom-post
> > www.asciiribbon.org | www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
> > GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16
>
> Thanks a lot Kwpolska. I already have the corresponding service enabled in
> systemd.
>

Maybe I wasn´t clear enough in my previous mail. I already had the
corresponding service enabled, so it isn´t the cause of the problem I´m
getting.

I also discovered that I have to restart networkmanager daemon as user
(through sudo). If I do this as root, the same problem persists.


--
Martin

Código de novios Falabella: 585855-00 (gracias!)

No envíen archivos pesados por mail.
Usen DropBox <https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTIwODk0MDk> (2GB + *500MB
bonus*) o SpiderOak<https://spideroak.com/download/referral/dd6b3051b5f1f10a5674d694f22dd3e8>(tras
registrarse vayan a 'buy more space' e ingresen el código
"worldbackupday" --> *8GB*)
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Denis A. Altoé Falqueto
 
Default kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement: NetworkManager is not running. Please start it.

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Martin Zecher <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe I wasn´t clear enough in my previous mail. I already had the
> corresponding service enabled, so it isn´t the cause of the problem I´m
> getting.
>
> I also discovered that I have to restart networkmanager daemon as user
> (through sudo). If I do this as root, the same problem persists.

What do you get when you run systemctl --failed, before fixing the
problem manually.?

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?
For more information, please read: http://idallen.com/topposting.html

-------------------------------------------
Denis A. Altoe Falqueto
Linux user #524555
-------------------------------------------
 
Old 08-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Martin Zecher
 
Default kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement: NetworkManager is not running. Please start it.

On 8/20/12, Denis A. Altoé Falqueto <denisfalqueto@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Martin Zecher <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe I wasn´t clear enough in my previous mail. I already had the
>> corresponding service enabled, so it isn´t the cause of the problem I´m
>> getting.
>>
>> I also discovered that I have to restart networkmanager daemon as user
>> (through sudo). If I do this as root, the same problem persists.
>
> What do you get when you run systemctl --failed, before fixing the
> problem manually.?
>
> --
> A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
> Q: Why is top posting so bad?
> For more information, please read: http://idallen.com/topposting.html
>
> -------------------------------------------
> Denis A. Altoe Falqueto
> Linux user #524555
> -------------------------------------------
>

This is the only error I get:

UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB JOB DESCRIPTION
NetworkManager-wait-online.service loaded failed failed Network
Manager Wait Online

Networkmanager runs and connects fine, I just lack the frontend (so
I'm unable to configure new networks).
 
Old 08-20-2012, 06:34 PM
C Anthony Risinger
 
Default kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement: NetworkManager is not running. Please start it.

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Martin Zecher <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is the only error I get:
>
> UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB JOB DESCRIPTION
> NetworkManager-wait-online.service loaded failed failed Network
> Manager Wait Online
>
> Networkmanager runs and connects fine, I just lack the frontend (so
> I'm unable to configure new networks).

does:

sudo find / -xdev -name '*.pac[ns]*'

... turn anything up? ie, did you merge in all the PAM config changes
recently(ish)?

--

C Anthony
 
Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Martin Zecher
 
Default kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement: NetworkManager is not running. Please start it.

You're a genius. Not the Mac one, of course. Where did you get that
info? I didn't notice any change in pam at all... By the way, I
replaced /etc/pam.d/kde, kde-np, login and passwd with the
corresponding .pacnew ones and that fixed the problem.

Arch's community is the best.

On 8/20/12, C Anthony Risinger <anthony@xtfx.me> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Martin Zecher <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is the only error I get:
>>
>> UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB JOB DESCRIPTION
>> NetworkManager-wait-online.service loaded failed failed Network
>> Manager Wait Online
>>
>> Networkmanager runs and connects fine, I just lack the frontend (so
>> I'm unable to configure new networks).
>
> does:
>
> sudo find / -xdev -name '*.pac[ns]*'
>
> ... turn anything up? ie, did you merge in all the PAM config changes
> recently(ish)?
>
> --
>
> C Anthony
>


--
Martin

Código de novios Falabella: 585855-00 (gracias!)

No envíen archivos pesados por mail.
Usen DropBox <https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTIwODk0MDk> (2GB + *500MB
bonus*) o SpiderOak<https://spideroak.com/download/referral/dd6b3051b5f1f10a5674d694f22dd3e8>(tras
registrarse vayan a 'buy more space' e ingresen el código
"worldbackupday" --> *8GB*)
 
Old 08-21-2012, 01:42 AM
C Anthony Risinger
 
Default kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement: NetworkManager is not running. Please start it.

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Martin Zecher <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You're a genius. Not the Mac one, of course.

heh, thanks :-)

> Where did you get that
> info? I didn't notice any change in pam at all...

why from my gigantic, bulbous brain of course! where else?!

nah i just remembered looking over that update awhile back. the
symptoms you described sounded like a PAM problem (running but
invisible until restarted from within the session), like sessions were
not being setup properly (in particular, environ vars like dbus socket
address, etc).

also the PAM entries for systemd were only added sometime in the last
year. PAM is one of those things you don't really [need to] think
about :-) so it's easy to skip over.

> By the way, I
> replaced /etc/pam.d/kde, kde-np, login and passwd with the
> corresponding .pacnew ones and that fixed the problem.

yeah that sounds about right ... nice, i'm glad it's all working for you now.

> Arch's community is the best.

i concur, good sir.

--

C Anthony
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:29 AM
Kaushal M
 
Default kdeplasma-applets-networkmanagement: NetworkManager is not running. Please start it.

I'm facing the same problem, but the solution doesn't seem to be working
for me.
I had a *.pacnew only for login in /etc/pam.d, which I renamed. But still
the applet refuses to work for me.

Any other ideas?

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 7:12 AM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony@xtfx.me> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Martin Zecher <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You're a genius. Not the Mac one, of course.
>
> heh, thanks :-)
>
> > Where did you get that
> > info? I didn't notice any change in pam at all...
>
> why from my gigantic, bulbous brain of course! where else?!
>
> nah i just remembered looking over that update awhile back. the
> symptoms you described sounded like a PAM problem (running but
> invisible until restarted from within the session), like sessions were
> not being setup properly (in particular, environ vars like dbus socket
> address, etc).
>
> also the PAM entries for systemd were only added sometime in the last
> year. PAM is one of those things you don't really [need to] think
> about :-) so it's easy to skip over.
>
> > By the way, I
> > replaced /etc/pam.d/kde, kde-np, login and passwd with the
> > corresponding .pacnew ones and that fixed the problem.
>
> yeah that sounds about right ... nice, i'm glad it's all working for you
> now.
>
> > Arch's community is the best.
>
> i concur, good sir.
>
> --
>
> C Anthony
>
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:05 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org