-   -   No working sound with systemd and pulseaudio ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/695269-no-working-sound-systemd-pulseaudio.html)

fredbezies 08-18-2012 08:38 AM

2012/8/18 Jesse Jaara <jesse.jaara@gmail.com>:
> Have you unmuted the sound card's own channels too? And not just the
> pulseaudio's.

Stinks like a virtualbox bug.

Alsamixer shows me that all channels (both pulseaudio and sound card
ones) are opened and 100% volume.

And when I enter, either in virtualbox or in my real computer amixer
to see if there is any difference, I get twice :

$ amixer scontrols
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0

Will test with qemu and see if it is a bug in virtualbox or not.

--
Frederic Bezies
fredbezies@gmail.com

fredbezies 08-18-2012 10:13 AM

No working sound with systemd and pulseaudio ?

2012/8/18 Jesse Jaara <jesse.jaara@gmail.com>:
> Have you unmuted the sound card's own channels too? And not just the
> pulseaudio's.

It is a virtualbox bug. Verified in qemu, and sound it working, even
if qemu is very slow with gnome shell.

--
Frederic Bezies
fredbezies@gmail.com

Kevin Chadwick 08-18-2012 11:02 AM

No working sound with systemd and pulseaudio ?

> It is a virtualbox bug.

It probably is but that is no certainty. Virtualbox is or was atleast a
good example of how a user loved and useful software can still be far
from good and safe code correctness.

The project leader of OpenBSD had a bug report and eventually found it
was virtualbox's fault, commenting

"We don't know how other operating system products continue running
when the userland ecx register gets clobbered on a return from a page
fault, but at least people should be aware that there is likely some
security risk from running that product."

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=17930

Note this comment which ignores the underlying issues.

"One one hand, the documentation for VBox clearly shows FreeBSD as the
only supported BSD, and only having "limited support". Outside of the
supported guest OS's is strictly "your mileage may vary" territory, and
people should be more clearly indicating they are using virtualization
when submitting bug reports.

On the other hand, Theo needs to stop worrying so much. Virtualization
isn't going away, and it's a trend that needs to be adopted and
accounted for, not whined about. It's a golden opportunity to attract
users who may have not wanted to make the hardware investment to throw
BSD on a dedicated rig but now can try it out with no commitment. OMG
VIRTUALIZATION IS SCARY isn't the right way to approach it."

The original thread can be seen here, if you wonder if there is any
other basis for that comment.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Gwz0lBB1_NgJ:old.nabble.com/Bug-reports-regarding-Innotek-VirtualBox-td15907184.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)