Old 08-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Matthew Monaco

Default /etc/modules-load.d | /etc/modprobe.d -- options determinative?

On 08/17/2012 08:49 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Reading the wiki pages regarding /etc/modules-load.d and /etc/modprobe.d, is
> the only difference that makes /etc/modules-load.d to correct place for the
> <moduleconfname>.conf file a lack of options required on module load?
>
> Or put another way, if options need to be provided along with the module name
> on load, then use
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/<moduleconfname>.conf
>
> otherwise if just the module name is required, use:
>
> /etc/modules-load.d/<moduleconfname>.conf?
>
> That was the only difference I saw in their use in the wiki. Anything else?

modprobe.d is for the options, modules-load.d is for loading modules at boot.
Modules listed in modprobe.d are NOT loaded automatically. If you want to load a
module at boot, with specific options, you need BOTH files.

This is a little ugly though, and it seems like all userspace module handling
should be done through kmod, so I think ditching modules-load and adding support
for a "autoload" modprobe.d command would be great along with "modprobe -A" for
actually loading all of the autoload modules.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:10 PM
"David C. Rankin"

Reading the wiki pages regarding /etc/modules-load.d and /etc/modprobe.d,
is the only difference that makes /etc/modules-load.d to correct place for the
<moduleconfname>.conf file a lack of options required on module load?

Or put another way, if options need to be provided along with the module
name on load, then use

/etc/modprobe.d/<moduleconfname>.conf

otherwise if just the module name is required, use:

/etc/modules-load.d/<moduleconfname>.conf?

That was the only difference I saw in their use in the wiki. Anything else?

Also,

for dmraid, the old MODULES=(dm_mod dm_mirror) would be replace by say
'/etc/modules-load.d/dmraid.conf' with the contents:

# load dm_mod dm_mirror for dmraid
dm_mod
dm_mirror

But what of the 'USEDMRAID="yes"' directive presently in the HARDWARE
section of rc.conf? Is the call to 'dmraid -i -ay' automatically done if
dmraid is specified by HOOKS= in mkinitcpio.conf?

Lastly, will the new '/etc/modules-load.d/dmraid.conf' work with the
current init before the switch to systemd?

Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Matthew Monaco

On 08/17/2012 09:10 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 08/17/2012 10:49 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> Reading the wiki pages regarding /etc/modules-load.d and /etc/modprobe.d,
>> is the only difference that makes /etc/modules-load.d to correct place for
>> the <moduleconfname>.conf file a lack of options required on module load?
>>
>> Or put another way, if options need to be provided along with the module
>> name on load, then use
>>
>> /etc/modprobe.d/<moduleconfname>.conf
>>
>> otherwise if just the module name is required, use:
>>
>> /etc/modules-load.d/<moduleconfname>.conf?
>>
>> That was the only difference I saw in their use in the wiki. Anything
>> else?
>>

> Also,
>
> for dmraid, the old MODULES=(dm_mod dm_mirror) would be replace by say
> '/etc/modules-load.d/dmraid.conf' with the contents:
>
> # load dm_mod dm_mirror for dmraid dm_mod dm_mirror
>
> But what of the 'USEDMRAID="yes"' directive presently in the HARDWARE
> section of rc.conf? Is the call to 'dmraid -i -ay' automatically done if
> dmraid is specified by HOOKS= in mkinitcpio.conf?

Doesn't look like it, from rc.sysinit:

# FakeRAID devices detection
[[ $USEDMRAID = [Yy][Ee][Ss] && -x $(type -P dmraid) ]] &&
status "Activating FakeRAID arrays" dmraid -i -ay

> Lastly, will the new '/etc/modules-load.d/dmraid.conf' work with the current
> init before the switch to systemd?

Yes, they are identical, initscripts leverages /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-modules-load