Old 08-25-2012, 02:16 AM
Anthony 'Ishpeck' Tedjamulia

Default Arch Linux and systemd

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 10:13:33AM +0200, Kwpolska wrote:
> Huh? I've never seen any complaints about udev before you.

udev is kinda crufty. And it really doesn't belong inside
the same monolithic program that manages startup and file-
system mounting.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:38 AM

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 12:12:05PM +0100, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> I've been wondering what the best term for 'corporate' or 'enterprise'
> software like exchange is where they change your nappies for you but
> also offer you razor wire to hang yourself with by giving you IE to
> browse the web on the mail server itself and encouraging compulsory
> remote wipe for clients!

I've always just called it "commoditized software" when I'm not
surging with invective and use the term "infantile computing BS"

Old 08-25-2012, 02:41 AM

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 04:45:34PM +0200, Jakob Herrmann wrote:
> So which components (obviously used by the majority of Arch users) do
> currently have or will soon have hardcoded! dependencies to systemd?

udev.

Upstream, Gnome has considered it.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Kevin Chadwick

> > So which components (obviously used by the majority of Arch users) do
> > currently have or will soon have hardcoded! dependencies to systemd?
>
> udev.
>
> Upstream, Gnome has considered it.

You know why, because according to heise some of their longterm devs
have left leaving more than half the devs being RedHat employees.

p.s. I have nothing against RedHat, I value they're work, mostly the
work which goes unnoticed. Unfortunately the most prominent of they're
work gets a bad rep or is it more prominent because of the rep?
I think both because it often has a bad user experience and
interaction factor.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)

Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Jayesh Badwaik

On Tuesday 28 Aug 2012 11:16:38 Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> You know why, because according to heise some of their longterm devs
> have left leaving more than half the devs being RedHat employees.
>
> p.s. I have nothing against RedHat, I value they're work, mostly the
> work which goes unnoticed. Unfortunately the most prominent of they're
> work gets a bad rep or is it more prominent because of the rep? I
> think both because it often has a bad user experience and
> interaction factor.

In this context, I had shared a link where systemd devs had suggested
gnome devs to consider adding systemd as a dependency due to some
funcitonality which was present in systemd only. [1]

What is going on I am not sure, but this shows that GNOME in future is
going to have a hard dependency on systemd.

--
Cheers and Regards
Jayesh Badwaik

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-May/msg00427.html

Old 08-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Ralf Mardorf

On Tue, 2012-08-28 at 16:43 +0530, Jayesh Badwaik wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 Aug 2012 11:16:38 Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> > You know why, because according to heise some of their longterm devs
> > have left leaving more than half the devs being RedHat employees.
> >
> > p.s. I have nothing against RedHat, I value they're work, mostly the
> > work which goes unnoticed. Unfortunately the most prominent of
> they're
> > work gets a bad rep or is it more prominent because of the rep? I
> > think both because it often has a bad user experience and
> > interaction factor.
>
> In this context, I had shared a link where systemd devs had suggested
> gnome devs to consider adding systemd as a dependency due to some
> funcitonality which was present in systemd only. [1]
>
> What is going on I am not sure, but this shows that GNOME in future
> is
> going to have a hard dependency on systemd.
>
> [1]
> https://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2011-May/msg00427.html

If somebody doesn't want to use systemd, IMO it's easy to quit GNOME. I
don't think that gcalctool and other small apps will have a dependency
chain, as well as GTK. Or could it become that extreme? Sorry for the
noob question, Ralf