Old 08-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Jérôme Bartand

Default SystemD poll

Hi!

Yesterday I read on Phoronix that Arch devs are planning to switch to
SystemD, but many users are unhappy with this move. You can see a lot of
controversy discussion on this list. I have created an online poll to
determine the will of the community:
http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=502d2113e4b02c3adb09a939

Please vote and spread!

Old 08-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Jelle van der Waa

On 08/16/12 18:59, Jérôme Bartand wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Yesterday I read on Phoronix that Arch devs are planning to switch to
> SystemD, but many users are unhappy with this move. You can see a lot of
> controversy discussion on this list. I have created an online poll to
> determine the will of the community:
> http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=502d2113e4b02c3adb09a939
>
> Please vote and spread!

Since when is archlinux a democracy?

Also you're poll doesn't give any arguments for or against the move,
unedacted users should look into the benefits of moving to systemd.

--
Jelle van der Waa

Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Øyvind Heggstad

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:59:24 +0200
Jérôme Bartand <moijerob@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Yesterday I read on Phoronix that Arch devs are planning to switch to
> SystemD, but many users are unhappy with this move. You can see a lot
> of controversy discussion on this list. I have created an online poll
> to determine the will of the community:
> http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=502d2113e4b02c3adb09a939
>
> Please vote and spread!

86.4% of all statistics shows that 93.9% of all online polls have an
average 37.9% accuracy rate compared to the reality.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Calvin Morrison

On 16 August 2012 13:09, Jelle van der Waa <jelle@vdwaa.nl> wrote:
> On 08/16/12 18:59, Jérôme Bartand wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Yesterday I read on Phoronix that Arch devs are planning to switch to
>> SystemD, but many users are unhappy with this move. You can see a lot of
>> controversy discussion on this list. I have created an online poll to
>> determine the will of the community:
>> http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=502d2113e4b02c3adb09a939
>>
>> Please vote and spread!
>>
> Since when is archlinux a democracy?
>
> Also you're poll doesn't give any arguments for or against the move,
> unedacted users should look into the benefits of moving to systemd.
>

> --
> Jelle van der Waa

It's actually more like a business. Often times businesses do polls or
statistical information gathering in order to better server their
customers.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Nicholas MIller

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM, Øyvind Heggstad
<mrelendig@har-ikkje.net>wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:59:24 +0200
> Jérôme Bartand <moijerob@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Yesterday I read on Phoronix that Arch devs are planning to switch to
> > SystemD, but many users are unhappy with this move. You can see a lot
> > of controversy discussion on this list. I have created an online poll
> > to determine the will of the community:
> > http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=502d2113e4b02c3adb09a939
> >
> > Please vote and spread!
>
> 86.4% of all statistics shows that 93.9% of all online polls have an
> average 37.9% accuracy rate compared to the reality.

+1 for the fantastic staistics

Old 08-16-2012, 05:22 PM
John K Pate

> It's actually more like a business. Often times businesses do polls or
> statistical information gathering in order to better server their
> customers.

yeah, but an open online poll is not statistics gathering, because you
don't have any way to ensure that you get a representative random
sample.

--
John K Pate http://jkpate.net/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Fons Adriaensen

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 07:09:47PM +0200, Jelle van der Waa wrote:

> Also you're poll doesn't give any arguments for or against the move,
> unedacted users should look into the benefits of moving to systemd.

They should look at both the pros and cons. One problem with this
is that much of the the documentation (except the manpages) is
available only on the author's blog. Which according to a previous
comment will be 'opinion' rather than objective information. And
IMHO even that is bit optimistic.

Ciao,

--
FA

Old 08-16-2012, 05:26 PM
phani

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:47:12 +0530, Calvin Morrison
It's actually more like a business. Often times businesses do polls or
statistical information gathering in order to better server their
customers.

yeah, but in a business situation the customers actually pay the company
good money for the product.

if we (arch linux users) managed to collect enough money to 'bribe' the
devs into doing what we want, this poll might have a point. as it is,
forget it.

--
phani.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Nicholas MIller

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:26 PM, phani <listmail@phanisvara.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:47:12 +0530, Calvin Morrison <
> mutantturkey@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> It's actually more like a business. Often times businesses do polls or
>> statistical information gathering in order to better server their
>> customers.
>>

> yeah, but in a business situation the customers actually pay the company
> good money for the product.
>
> if we (arch linux users) managed to collect enough money to 'bribe' the
> devs into doing what we want, this poll might have a point. as it is,
> forget it.
>
> --
> phani.

I'd seriously consider giving a good bit for direct influence in how some
choices are made in arch and i'm fairly sure others would to.... granted
this leads to other problems ie the golden rule (like the man with the gold
makes the rules)

Old 08-16-2012, 05:40 PM
phani

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 23:05:17 +0530, Nicholas MIller <nick.kyky@gmail.com>
if we (arch linux users) managed to collect enough money to 'bribe' the
devs into doing what we want, this poll might have a point. as it is,
forget it.

I'd seriously consider giving a good bit for direct influence in how some
choices are made in arch and i'm fairly sure others would to.... granted
this leads to other problems ie the golden rule (like the man with the
gold makes the rules)

this wasn't meant seriously, but a hypothetical argument showing that polls