Old 08-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Marek Otahal

Default Pacman, adding comments to the packages

Hi!
that is a great idea.

On Thursday 16 of August 2012 18:07:40 Chris Sakalis wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Karol Blazewicz
> <karol.blazewicz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Joker-jar <jokerjar@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hello, I propose to add the ability to add comments to the packages in
> >> pacman. For example, sometimes you need to install packages as a optional
> >> or makedepend. I always do it with --as-deps key. Later, when you run
> >> "pacman -Qdt" to see and cleanup orphan packages you can't distinguish
> >> really orphan packages and packages installed via the reasons,
> >> describedabove. In
> >> this case comments to the packages could be very useful. Sorry fo my
> >> english
> >
> > You should open a task in the bugtracker if there's no such request already.
I believe I've seen the issue somewhere on forums or bug tracker, can't find it now though.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=53788 metapax on aur seems it might do the job, but the
download link is dead now..

> Hello,
> just a suggestion. Wouldn't tracking which packages where installed as
> optional dependencies be better? There could be a --as-optdeps option
> for example.
I agree, my idea was:
pacman -S --create-meta name [description] dependency[-version] [dep2 ...]

$ pacman -S --create-meta myproject pkg1 pkg2-1.3

which would call makepkg and create package named myproject with only
pkgname=myproject
pkgdesc="blah"
depends=('pkg1','pkg2<=1.3')

Usecase:
*nice handling of optdepends for packages you install
*handling of temporal projects: eg for school I work on several projects at once,
say for music-work i need midi player, notation visualizer, mp32midi parser etc...all these
have to be installed explicitly nowadays and after a month I don't know whatnot have been installed for the
project and can be removed now.
*cleaner system and explicitely installed pkgs: eg for a new cellphone, one wants a driver, filemanager, gps app etc -
that all could be just in a my-android metapkg.

Additional note: A feature would be
pacman -S my-meta-pkg --add dep3
pacman -S my-meta-pkg --remove dep2

> --Chris Sakalis
Will you set up the feature request on bugtracker or should I?

Have a nice day, Mark

--

Marek Otahal )

Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 PM
Joker-jar

> just a suggestion. Wouldn't tracking which packages where installed as
> optional dependencies be better? There could be a --as-optdeps option
> for example.

Do not forget about makedepends. Often you can't remember for what package
you install something in the orphans list as makedepend, or it's just
orphan. By the way, it would be nice to know the origin of real orphans
(for example, who depend on them earlier).