Old 08-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Kyle

Default Arch-general is becoming a mess !

According to Justin Strickland:

heh seems most of this blaze has to do with users who are unfamiliar with systemd and by convention afraid of it, I suppose the devs could lay down the law and just be like 'this is what arch is going to ship with and this is what we are going to support get over it!' then maybe this'll die down. but thats just my 2 cents.

The problem is that this has already been done, and the devs have even
posted here to let us know that the initscripts package is *not* going
away for as long as possible, even before the decision to transition to
systemd was finalized. In spite of this, the mess didn't "die down," and
some people on the list have resorted to personal attacks against one of
the systemd lead developers and other list members in an attempt to sway
the Arch devs away from systemd rather than even arguing their case
against systemd based on technical criticisms, most of which can bee
worked out by reporting bugs through the official channels, including
the Arch bug tracker[1] and the systemd bug tracker[2]. It is such
personal attacks against both the developers of systemd and others on
this list that prompted Tom and other Arch developers to minimize their
contact with the list, and I for one don't blame them for wanting to
stay out of the line of fire.

[1] https://bugs.archlinux.org
[2] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=systemd
~Kyle

Old 08-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Justin Strickland

Kyle +1, personally its not as if they are forcing systemd on you they
aren't locking you out of your choice of an init system I've seen too many
people either unaware of this or have failed to remember that arch(as well
as linux in general) is a system of choices of which if you happen to find
something you don't agree with you can change it without too much hassle.