Old 08-15-2012, 08:03 AM
David Benfell

Default systemd virtual terminals

Hi,

Just when I thought I'd solved the systemd issues, it seems broken
again, coming back from a power outage. As near as I can tell--and
please understand I've never seen behavior quite like this before, so
conjecture might be the better term--my virtual terminals aren't
coming up at least in a recognizable form.

The behavior is weird. systemctl says that lxdm is running on vt07.
But I can't access vt07 using the usual <CTRL><ALT>F7 sequence. Also
when I log in, the password is visible. I've never ever seen the
latter behavior before. Delete key behavior seems erratic and I'm
feeling totally disoriented.

Fortunately, the network does come up, so I'm able to ssh in from a
still-sane system (it's a laptop and it apparently managed to stay up
throughout the power outage). I did this, not that it helps much:

graton# systemctl --failed
UNIT LOAD ACTIVE SUB JOB DESCRIPTION
fancontrol.service loaded failed failed Fan control daemon
i2prouter.service loaded failed failed I2P router
postgresql.service loaded failed failed PostgreSQL
database server
rc-local.service loaded failed failed /etc/rc.local
Compatibility
systemd-modules-load.service loaded failed failed Load Kernel
Modules
systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service loaded failed failed Cleanup of
Temporary Directories
systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service loaded failed failed Recreate
Volatile Files and Directories

LOAD = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
JOB = Pending job for the unit.

7 units listed. Pass --all to see inactive units, too.
graton#

I've tried to disable fancontrol; from what I can see, it will not run
on this system, so I don't know why it's still trying to run.
i2prouter is just broken on this system and has been for a while.
postgresql has also been failing since I converted to systemd, but is
not now important. And I thought I'd sorted out the tmp files, but:

graton# journalctl | grep tmpfile
Aug 14 23:21:36 graton systemd-tmpfiles[421]:
[/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/legacy.co....
Aug 14 23:21:36 graton systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service:
main pro...=1
Aug 14 23:21:36 graton systemd[1]: Unit systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
ente...e.
Aug 14 23:35:00 graton systemd-tmpfiles[431]:
[/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/legacy.co....
Aug 14 23:35:00 graton systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service:
main pro...=1
Aug 14 23:35:00 graton systemd[1]: Unit systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
ente...e.
Aug 14 23:49:49 graton systemd-tmpfiles[1356]:
[/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/legacy.c....

Aug 14 23:49:49 graton systemd[1]: systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service:
main pro...=1
Aug 14 23:49:49 graton systemd[1]: Unit systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service
ente...e.
graton#

From the fragmentary output, it looks to me like the problem is with
legacy.conf but I'm not seeing why this should be problematic:

d /run/lock 0755 root root -
d /run/lock/subsys 0755 root root -
d /run/lock/lockdev 0775 root lock -

/run and /run/lock both exist

I've tried rebooting; it didn't help.

Now what?

Thanks!
--
David Benfell
benfell@parts-unknown.org

--
David Benfell
benfell@parts-unknown.org

Old 08-15-2012, 05:55 PM
Jameson

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 4:03 AM, David Benfell
<benfell@parts-unknown.org> wrote:
> Also
> when I log in, the password is visible.

The first place I would check for this would be your console
font/keymap config in /etc/vconsole.conf:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Console_and_keymap

=-Jameson

Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 PM
David Benfell

Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 PM
David Benfell

Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Spyros Papageorgiou

If i had to guess, i would say, it sounds like something(some files) got
corrupted due to the power outage.
Don't know how you would go about fixing that.
Maybe reinstall linux linux-utils systemd systemd-tools.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:13 PM
David Benfell

On 08/15/2012 11:44 AM, Spyros Papageorgiou wrote:
> If i had to guess, i would say, it sounds like something(some
> files) got corrupted due to the power outage. Don't know how you
> would go about fixing that. Maybe reinstall linux linux-utils
> systemd systemd-tools.

I think you meant util-linux, and fortunately pacman makes this
ridiculously painless to do. I tried reinstalling these packages, but
nothing has changed.

Nonetheless, I think you may well be right about the power outage
being the cause: my laptop, which I was afraid to reboot because it
was my only functioning linux graphical environment, seems to have
been unaffected (it, of course, has its own battery backup). I may be
wrong here if there is a relevant difference between the 64-bit and
32-bit packages (the laptop is 32-bit).

> On 15 August 2012 21:36, David Benfell <benfell@parts-unknown.org>
> wrote:

=-Jameson

> Oh, and by the way (as in perhaps this is more relevant than I
> realize), the system still comes up under traditional init, so I'm
> using that for the moment, though I had to switch to Cinnamon for
> the graphical environment (neither XFCE nor Gnome would start; I
> didn't try Cinnamon 2 or whatever the other Cinnamon is).

- --
David Benfell
benfell@parts-unknown.org