Old 08-25-2012, 02:33 AM
Anthony 'Ishpeck' Tedjamulia

Default Think twice before moving to systemd

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 03:31:19PM -0400, Brandon Watkins wrote:
> You are being pedantic. A 2 second difference is negligible, and certainly
> not the huge issue you are making it out to be.

It's not negligible in computing terms. It can matter but plan A
is usually for your boot time to be immaterial (because rebooting
is lame in the first place).

It's not entirely clear where these two seconds are being lost,
tho'. It's tough to lay the blame precisely where Filipe is
placing it.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Felipe Contreras

On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 4:31 AM, Anthony 'Ishpeck' Tedjamulia
<archlinux@ishpeck.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 09:23:33PM +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> > So it's only needs twice the time with only on third of the ticks? Well
>> > that is awesome... Yeah to systemd!
>>
>> systemd is much more complicated, and requires many more tricks.
>>

> Please remember: I hate systemd.
>
> I have seen systemd boot faster than rough equivalents.
>
> Yes, the software is a huge, bloated piece of crap. But it
> is also unmistakably capable of faster boot times when
> services are started properly in parallel.
>
> That's assuming a few things (like that your services are
> not hugely inter-dependent or that a couple [like, maybe
> DHCP, depending on your server] just take stupidly long
> to start up).
>
> For all its faults, being incapabel of giving you a boot
> time advantage is _not_ one of them.

Yes, that's *in theory*, but in practice that's not what I see, and I
already investigated the culprit:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~felipec/systemd/bootchart_sysd.png
http://people.freedesktop.org/~felipec/systemd/bootchart_sysv.png

Software shouldn't rely on CONFIG_HZ, but apparently systemd is doing
something that does.

I don't find this surprising at all; systemd is a relatively new piece
of software, and a very complex one, it's bound to have tricky issues
like this one.

--
Felipe Contreras

Old 08-26-2012, 01:38 PM

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 12:19:00AM +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> > For all its faults, being incapabel of giving you a boot
> > time advantage is _not_ one of them.
>
> Yes, that's *in theory*, but in practice that's not what I see, and I
> already investigated the culprit:

It's more like "if the stars align." I hold the potential for boot
time speed to be axiomatic and the only question is if your starting
services are the particular combination that would actually make it
matter.