Old 08-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Kevin Chadwick

Default Migration to systemd)

> Not because
> it is good software but because the other adequate software that this
> community depends on is going to require it.

Let me know so I'm aware what the software you have in mind is if it
hasn't been mentioned please.

Debian and Ubuntu plus the BSDs make up far more of the user base than
the rest put together and has Redhat switched yet?, so when I think
about it, I find this unlikely. Programs may need compiling to work
with or without systemd which will be annoying as I don't agree with
wasting resources building everything in the Gentoo style, though it
would be handy.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)

Old 08-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Anthony 'Ishpeck' Tedjamulia

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 03:11:16PM +0100, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> > Not because
> > it is good software but because the other adequate software that this
> > community depends on is going to require it.
>
> Let me know so I'm aware what the software you have in mind is if it
> hasn't been mentioned please.

It has been mentioned.

http://smarden.org/pape/djb/daemontools/noinit.html

That argument is pretty thorough.

But again, I don't know if it applies to Arch. The needs of this
distro may include requirements beyond just a good, elegant startup
system.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Justin Strickland

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 03:11:16PM +0100, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> > Not because
> > it is good software but because the other adequate software that this
> > community depends on is going to require it.
>
> Let me know so I'm aware what the software you have in mind is if it
> hasn't been mentioned please.
>
> Debian and Ubuntu plus the BSDs make up far more of the user base than
> the rest put together and has Redhat switched yet?, so when I think
> about it, I find this unlikely. Programs may need compiling to work
> with or without systemd which will be annoying as I don't agree with
> wasting resources building everything in the Gentoo style, though it
> would be handy.
>
> --
> __________________________________________________ _____________________
>
> 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
> together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
> universal interface'
>
> (Doug McIlroy)
If I recall correctly I don't believe you would have to modify any program to work with systemd, the only thing you'd have to do is create a unit for it. (Though I could be wrong please correct me if I'm wrong.)_

Old 08-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Kevin Chadwick

> > > Not because
> > > it is good software but because the other adequate software that this
> > > community depends on is going to require it.
> >
> > Let me know so I'm aware what the software you have in mind is if it
> > hasn't been mentioned please.
> >
> > Debian and Ubuntu plus the BSDs make up far more of the user base than
> > the rest put together and has Redhat switched yet?, so when I think
> > about it, I find this unlikely. Programs may need compiling to work
> > with or without systemd which will be annoying as I don't agree with
> > wasting resources building everything in the Gentoo style, though it
> > would be handy.
> >
> > --
> > __________________________________________________ _____________________
> >
> > 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
> > together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
> > universal interface'
> >
> > (Doug McIlroy)
> > __________________________________________________ ____________________
> If I recall correctly I don't believe you would have to modify any program to work with systemd, the only thing you'd have to do is create a unit for it. (Though I could be wrong please correct me if I'm wrong.)_

That's for sure because unless systemd is rewritten I won't ever be
using it.

Looks like the reply confused you as the response did me, the original
mail was saying what software will break without running systemd and
that's what I was interested in. Some have mentioned consolekit but
that's not even close to a requirement for 99% of users except maybe
enterprise. Note, udisks removed highly used by almost all functions for
enterprise functions no one used as a priority. Some others like polkit
have been mentioned, none of which have been allowed to have any
extra rights on my systems for a while.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)

Old 08-18-2012, 06:50 AM
David Benfell

On 08/17/2012 04:37 PM, Justin Strickland wrote:

If I recall correctly I don't believe you would have to modify any program to work with systemd, the only thing you'd have to do is create a unit for it. (Though I could be wrong please correct me if I'm wrong.)_

It is better if programs are willing to log to stdout/stderr, so the
output can be captured through systemd's journal process. Apache and
Postfix are the two examples I encountered where this seemed impossible.
Also, it is better, and this will be a problem familiar to users of
DJB's daemontools, if programs have a way of not forking and can simply
run without what I know from my old PDP-11 RSTS/e days as "detaching,"
although systemd is better able to handle programs that do than
daemontools is.

--
David Benfell
benfell@parts-unknown.org