Old 08-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Tobias Frilling

Default XServer: Display errors beyond virtual x-coord 2640

Hi there,

I found a strange problem today after connecting my new monitor to my computer.
With the new monitor I am using a multi monitor setup of size 3200 x 1080. But
it seems some applications are having troubles displaying anything beyond the
apparently magical line of the (virtual) x-coord 2640.
The troublemakers so far are:

- - GVim
which renders no text beyond the magical line. This happens mid-character.
vim in a terminal behaves fine.

- - Tint2
which shows no application icons in the system tray after 2640. Also happens
mid-icon. The clock has no problems. The rendering of icons in xfce4-panel
works strangely.

- - MPlayer,MPlayer2, VLC, Skype
those freeze, but only in the "danger zone"; so they play a partially
frozen video

- - xterm
same problem as with GVim. Other terminals (rxvt, Roxterm) are fine.

- - Conky
Same as Gvim and xterm

Most other applications are not affected by this bug.

This problem seems to be independent from the window manager, as it occurs in
openbox-multihead, vanilla openbox, i3, dwm and awesome.

I am enabling my multihead setup via xrandr:
xrandr --output VGA-0 --auto --pos 1280x0 --output LVDS --auto --pos 0x280

Package infos:
- - xorg-server 1.12.3.901-1
- - xorg-xrandr 1.3.5-1
- - libxrandr 1.4.0-1
- - libxinerama 1.1.2-1
- - xf86-video-ati 1:6.14.6-1

Further information:
xrandr output: https://pzt.me/7o17
Xorg.0.log: https://pzt.me/9fb4

Here are some pictures. As you can see, the text gets cut mid-character, but
strangely, the textdecoration is not affected.
http://img.vim-cn.com/af/ea943e3e903364fc9fc0d00d7ccd09f980bc40
http://img.vim-cn.com/ed/3ec2f5a955fefccbfa29d9d7b7356ea9669348