Old 08-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Squall Lionheart

Default Mime backup program

Hello,

A few weeks ago there was a thread regarding the best "Arch" way of backing
up /etc and I mentioned that I wrote a backup program that works very well
for that. I promised I would let everyone know when my new version became
available, and today is that day. I don't have an AUR package yet, however
an installer is provided and a "Quick Setup" can be found in the README.
The package contains full documentation and I am willing to answer
questions via email. This is a very powerful and fully featured program
and I welcome any feedback.

http://code.google.com/p/mime-backup/

Thank you
Squall

--
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.

Headmaster Squall :: The Wired/Section-9
Close the world txen eht nepo
$3R14L 3XP3R1M3NT$ #L41N
http://twitter.com/headmastersqual

Old 08-03-2012, 09:41 PM
SanskritFritz

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Squall Lionheart
<headmastersquall@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A few weeks ago there was a thread regarding the best "Arch" way of backing
> up /etc and I mentioned that I wrote a backup program that works very well
> for that. I promised I would let everyone know when my new version became
> available, and today is that day. I don't have an AUR package yet, however
> an installer is provided and a "Quick Setup" can be found in the README.
> The package contains full documentation and I am willing to answer
> questions via email. This is a very powerful and fully featured program
> and I welcome any feedback.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mime-backup/

A very misleading name

Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Squall Lionheart

> A very misleading name

I have been concerned about the confusion because of "mime types". I was
going for something like mimic because the backups resemble the primary
file system. I might change it in the future, just haven't found a good
name yet. Thanks for the input.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Arno Gaboury

On 03/08/12||15:35, Squall Lionheart wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A few weeks ago there was a thread regarding the best "Arch" way of backing
> up /etc and I mentioned that I wrote a backup program that works very well
> for that. I promised I would let everyone know when my new version became
> available, and today is that day. I don't have an AUR package yet, however
> an installer is provided and a "Quick Setup" can be found in the README.
> The package contains full documentation and I am willing to answer
> questions via email. This is a very powerful and fully featured program
> and I welcome any feedback.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mime-backup/
>
> Thank you
> Squall

Hello,

I am very interested in testing your backup tool, as I am really fed up
of the one is use (deja-dup).
Is there any issue if I install it from your tarball, or shall I create
first a PKGBUILD. which is normally the safest way.

Thank you.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 AM
ashkab rahmani

i'm very interesting to use this app. but i usually use svn to backup /etc
on my linux boxes.

———
Ashkan R

Old 08-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Squall Lionheart

Arno and Ashkan,

> Is there any issue if I install it from your tarball, or shall I create
> first a PKGBUILD. which is normally the safest way.

Their is no issue with just following the instructions and using the Python
installer, except that if you want to remove the package you have to do it
manually. That being said, you should always create a native package for
your distro of choice, simply to have better package organization and house
keeping. If you create a PKGBUILD, would you share it with me, I have not
had the time to research writing one?

> i'm very interesting to use this app. but i usually use svn to backup /etc
> on my linux boxes.

SVN is a great tool and I use it as well for backing up certain items, such
as our DNS zone files (which is also backed using mime). After you start
using mime to backup your system, it give the feel of having your entire
file system under source control. This is because each backup that is made
creates a new copy of your file system which builds a history of your
files. The lsmime tool that installs with it also provides the ability to
do a diff on a file and compare it to a version from your backups, and
their is a "lsmime changes" command that works similarly to "svn status".

Thank you
Squall

Old 08-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Arno Gaboury

On 07/08/12||08:59, Squall Lionheart wrote:
> Arno and Ashkan,
>
> > Is there any issue if I install it from your tarball, or shall I create
> > first a PKGBUILD. which is normally the safest way.
>
> Their is no issue with just following the instructions and using the Python
> installer, except that if you want to remove the package you have to do it
> manually. That being said, you should always create a native package for
> your distro of choice, simply to have better package organization and house
> keeping. If you create a PKGBUILD, would you share it with me, I have not
> had the time to research writing one?
>
> > i'm very interesting to use this app. but i usually use svn to backup /etc
> > on my linux boxes.
>
> SVN is a great tool and I use it as well for backing up certain items, such
> as our DNS zone files (which is also backed using mime). After you start
> using mime to backup your system, it give the feel of having your entire
> file system under source control. This is because each backup that is made
> creates a new copy of your file system which builds a history of your
> files. The lsmime tool that installs with it also provides the ability to
> do a diff on a file and compare it to a version from your backups, and
> their is a "lsmime changes" command that works similarly to "svn status".
>
> Thank you
> Squall

I will have a look and write PKGBUILD for you after being tested on my
box.
As already stated, the name is very confusing. Once you will post it in
AUR, changing its name will become difficult. Would it be possible for
you to quickly change the name before writing PKGBUILD? It should'nt be
so difficult to find something more related to back-up.

Regards.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:20 PM
Kwpolska

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Squall Lionheart
<headmastersquall@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A few weeks ago there was a thread regarding the best "Arch" way of backing
> up /etc and I mentioned that I wrote a backup program that works very well
> for that. I promised I would let everyone know when my new version became
> available, and today is that day. I don't have an AUR package yet, however
> an installer is provided and a "Quick Setup" can be found in the README.
> The package contains full documentation and I am willing to answer
> questions via email. This is a very powerful and fully featured program
> and I welcome any feedback.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/mime-backup/
>
> Thank you
> Squall
>
> --
> Yesterday is history.
> Tomorrow is a mystery.
> Today is a gift.
> That's why its called the present.
>
> Headmaster Squall :: The Wired/Section-9
> Close the world txen eht nepo
> $3R14L 3XP3R1M3NT$ #L41N
> http://twitter.com/headmastersqual

A great idea. I have a few suggestions:

1. A better name would be a great idea. When I saw “mime backup
program”, I immediately thought of mimetypes, when I shouldn’t.
2. lsmime doesn’t use -- in front of arguments, although mime does. See (5).
3. Mind switching to version control systems and to GitHub? It’s much
nicer and a billion times easier for people to contribute.
4. PyPI — http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopTutorial
5. argparse should be used instead of your methods of parsing
arguments. It’s much cleaner and easier.
6. Use setuptools (distribute) instead of distutils.
7. Compliance with PEP 8 is a good idea. Package “pep8” from the AUR
should help you.
8. If you want to have more users, rewrite it in python2.
9. Unit tests, http://kennethreitz.com/repository-structure-and-python.html
and other stuff would be great to see.
10. And by the way, http://i.stack.imgur.com/RdBpi.png —
python-distribute, python2-distribute, python-pip, python2-pip should
be of use.
11. PKGBUILD.
12. Perform all that after a name change, if you want one.
--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail | always bottom-post

Old 08-08-2012, 02:44 PM
arnaud gaboury

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Kwpolska <kwpolska@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM, Squall Lionheart
> <headmastersquall@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> A few weeks ago there was a thread regarding the best "Arch" way of backing
>> up /etc and I mentioned that I wrote a backup program that works very well
>> for that. I promised I would let everyone know when my new version became
>> available, and today is that day. I don't have an AUR package yet, however
>> an installer is provided and a "Quick Setup" can be found in the README.
>> The package contains full documentation and I am willing to answer
>> questions via email. This is a very powerful and fully featured program
>> and I welcome any feedback.
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/mime-backup/
>>
>> Thank you
>> Squall
>>
>> --
>> Yesterday is history.
>> Tomorrow is a mystery.
>> Today is a gift.
>> That's why its called the present.
>>
>> Headmaster Squall :: The Wired/Section-9
>> Close the world txen eht nepo
>> $3R14L 3XP3R1M3NT$ #L41N
>> http://twitter.com/headmastersqual
>
> A great idea. I have a few suggestions:
>
> 1. A better name would be a great idea. When I saw “mime backup
> program”, I immediately thought of mimetypes, when I shouldn’t.
> 2. lsmime doesn’t use -- in front of arguments, although mime does. See (5).
> 3. Mind switching to version control systems and to GitHub? It’s much
> nicer and a billion times easier for people to contribute.
> 4. PyPI — http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopTutorial
> 5. argparse should be used instead of your methods of parsing
> arguments. It’s much cleaner and easier.
> 6. Use setuptools (distribute) instead of distutils.
> 7. Compliance with PEP 8 is a good idea. Package “pep8” from the AUR
> should help you.
> 8. If you want to have more users, rewrite it in python2.
> 9. Unit tests, http://kennethreitz.com/repository-structure-and-python.html
> and other stuff would be great to see.
> 10. And by the way, http://i.stack.imgur.com/RdBpi.png —
> python-distribute, python2-distribute, python-pip, python2-pip should
> be of use.
> 11. PKGBUILD.
> 12. Perform all that after a name change, if you want one.
> --
> Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
> stop html mail | always bottom-post
> www.asciiribbon.org | www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
> GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16 | Arch Linux x86_64, zsh, mutt, vim.
> # vim:set textwidth=70:

Following Kwpolska remarks, I suggest waiting a little bit before
writing the PKGBUILD.
Btw, this will only need you 15-30 minutes to write and check
integrity. But as already proposed, I can do it for you if you run out
of time.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Squall Lionheart

> 1. A better name would be a great idea. When I saw “mime backup
> program”, I immediately thought of mimetypes, when I shouldn’t.

This has been my biggest fear and I have always felt uncomfortable with the
name because of that. Unfortunately, I have been trying to come up with
something better since I started writing this program and can't seem to
come up with anything that fits. I'll give it another go since this is a
big deal.

> 2. lsmime doesn’t use -- in front of arguments, although mime does. See
(5).

This came about because I wanted lsmime to use more of an svn or "human"
like syntax that is much easier to read and remember. Both programs used
to use the - or -- syntax, but it made lsmime very confusing and required
constant references to -h.

Old
lsmime -r -id 5 rc.conf

New
lsmime restore rc.conf from backup 5

> 3. Mind switching to version control systems and to GitHub? It’s much
> nicer and a billion times easier for people to contribute.

I'm currently using google code and they have a source control option, I'll
set that up after a rename.

> 4. PyPI — http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopTutorial
> 5. argparse should be used instead of your methods of parsing
> arguments. It’s much cleaner and easier.
> 6. Use setuptools (distribute) instead of distutils.
> 7. Compliance with PEP 8 is a good idea. Package “pep8” from the AUR
> should help you.

Thank you for the great resources, I will definitely take the time to make
these changes.

> 8. If you want to have more users, rewrite it in python2.

Both programs are fully compatible with versions 2.6, 2.7 and 3.x

> 9. Unit tests,
http://kennethreitz.com/repository-structure-and-python.html
> and other stuff would be great to see.

I have unit tests, I just didn't distribute them. I know I should and will
in the future.

Your information and feedback is greatly appreciated. Seems like once you
think you know enough, you learn their is a whole new world to explore.

Thank you
Squall