Old 08-08-2012, 03:44 PM
Squall Lionheart

Default Mime backup program

> Following Kwpolska remarks, I suggest waiting a little bit before
> writing the PKGBUILD.
> Btw, this will only need you 15-30 minutes to write and check
> integrity. But as already proposed, I can do it for you if you run out
> of time.

I agree, lets come back to this after a rename.

--
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.

Headmaster Squall :: The Wired/Section-9
Close the world txen eht nepo
$3R14L 3XP3R1M3NT$ #L41N
http://twitter.com/headmastersqual

Old 08-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Kwpolska

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Squall Lionheart
<headmastersquall@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 3. Mind switching to version control systems and to GitHub? It’s much
>> nicer and a billion times easier for people to contribute.
>
> I'm currently using google code and they have a source control option, I'll
> set that up after a rename.

Does Google Code have support for pull requests or anything like that?
It’s very useful for people who would like to help you. GitHub
provides such awesome things. Without pull requests, I’d have to
bother with creating a .patch file and then mailing it to you. With
pull requests, I could just hit fork, clone the repo locally (or even
edit directly online if it’s a small change), hit “pull request” and
you would be able to merge my changes in 10 seconds flat. Seriously,
I’d love to have every single open source project in the universe on
GitHub because of stuff like that.

--
Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail | always bottom-post

Old 08-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Squall Lionheart

> Does Google Code have support for pull requests or anything like that?

Not sure if they do, I have been using my own local svn repo. Perhaps with
the name change I'll also move the project. Been working on slowly moving
away from Google products anyways so this will be good.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Leonidas Spyropoulos

Hey Squall,

I took the opportunity and created a small very simple PKGBUILD for
your application. I assume it doesn't depend on something special.
Also the package name will have to change and this will affect the
PKGBUILD as well.

When you move to git you will also have to change the PKGBUILD.

This is the first time I make a PKGBUILD file so if someone notice
something wrong please let me know.

# PKGBUILD for mime backup tool
# Contributor: Leonidas Spyropoulos <leonidas at spyropoulos dot eu>
pkgname=mime
pkgver=2.0.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Mime is a command line backup program written in Python"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://http://code.google.com/p/mime-backup/"
license=('GPL3')
depends=('python2')
source=(http://mime-backup.googlecode.com/files/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=('9f6c3a33bffde6126b7a7bd85d38e7c5')

build() {
cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
chmod 644 $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/mime.conf.sample
python2 setup.py install --root=$pkgdir || return 1
}

What do you think?

--
Caution: breathing may be hazardous to your health.

#include <stdio.h>
int main(){printf("%s","x4cx65x6fx6ex69x64x61x73");}

Old 08-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Axilleas Pi

On 08/10/2012 03:08 AM, Leonidas Spyropoulos wrote:
> Hey Squall,
>
> I took the opportunity and created a small very simple PKGBUILD for
> your application. I assume it doesn't depend on something special.
> Also the package name will have to change and this will affect the
> PKGBUILD as well.
>
> When you move to git you will also have to change the PKGBUILD.
>
> This is the first time I make a PKGBUILD file so if someone notice
> something wrong please let me know.
>
> # PKGBUILD for mime backup tool
> # Contributor: Leonidas Spyropoulos <leonidas at spyropoulos dot eu>
> pkgname=mime
> pkgver=2.0.0
> pkgrel=1
> pkgdesc="Mime is a command line backup program written in Python"
> arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
since it's a python app, arch should be 'any'

There's a double http:// :P

> license=('GPL3')
> depends=('python2')
> source=(http://mime-backup.googlecode.com/files/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
> md5sums=('9f6c3a33bffde6126b7a7bd85d38e7c5')
>
> build() {
> cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
> chmod 644 $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/mime.conf.sample
> python2 setup.py install --root=$pkgdir || return 1
|| return 1 is not needed any more, pacman handles it. Rename startdir
to srcdir.
Also it's a good practice to place brackets {} around pkgdir and srcdir,
or place the whole path in double quotes.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Leonidas Spyropoulos

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Axilleas Pi <axilleaspi@ymail.com> wrote:
>> pkgdesc="Mime is a command line backup program written in Python"
>> arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
> since it's a python app, arch should be 'any'
>>
>> url="http://http://code.google.com/p/mime-backup/"
> There's a double http:// :P
>>
>> license=('GPL3')
>> depends=('python2')
>> source=(http://mime-backup.googlecode.com/files/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
>> md5sums=('9f6c3a33bffde6126b7a7bd85d38e7c5')
>>
>> build() {
>> cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
>> chmod 644 $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/mime.conf.sample
>> python2 setup.py install --root=$pkgdir || return 1
> || return 1 is not needed any more, pacman handles it. Rename startdir
> to srcdir.
> Also it's a good practice to place brackets {} around pkgdir and srcdir,
> or place the whole path in double quotes.

Thanks Axillea,

I fixed according to your recommendations:

# Contributor: Leonidas Spyropoulos <leonidas at spyropoulos dot eu>
pkgname=mime
pkgver=2.0.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Mime is a command line backup program written in Python"
arch=('any')
url="http://code.google.com/p/mime-backup/"
license=('GPL3')
depends=('python2')
source=(http://mime-backup.googlecode.com/files/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=('9f6c3a33bffde6126b7a7bd85d38e7c5')

build() {
cd ${srcdir}/$pkgname-$pkgver
chmod 644 ${srcdir}/$pkgname-$pkgver/mime.conf.sample

Old 08-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Squall Lionheart

> I fixed according to your recommendations:
>
> # Contributor: Leonidas Spyropoulos <leonidas at spyropoulos dot eu>
> pkgname=mime
> pkgver=2.0.0
> pkgrel=1
> pkgdesc="Mime is a command line backup program written in Python"
> arch=('any')
> url="http://code.google.com/p/mime-backup/"
> license=('GPL3')
> depends=('python2')
> source=(http://mime-backup.googlecode.com/files/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
> md5sums=('9f6c3a33bffde6126b7a7bd85d38e7c5')
>
> build() {
> cd ${srcdir}/$pkgname-$pkgver
> chmod 644 ${srcdir}/$pkgname-$pkgver/mime.conf.sample
> python2 setup.py install --root=${pkgdir}
> }

This is great, thank you for taking the time to put this together. I am
working on the suggestions provided by Kwpolska and believe I have found a
new name. I was thinking of resetting the version number back to 1.0 after
the rename and the move to github, since it would be the first release
under that name. Does anyone see an issue with doing that?

Squall

Old 08-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Kwpolska

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Squall Lionheart
<headmastersquall@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I fixed according to your recommendations:
>>
>> # Contributor: Leonidas Spyropoulos <leonidas at spyropoulos dot eu>
>> pkgname=mime
>> pkgver=2.0.0
>> pkgrel=1
>> pkgdesc="Mime is a command line backup program written in Python"
>> arch=('any')
>> url="http://code.google.com/p/mime-backup/"
>> license=('GPL3')
>> depends=('python2')
>> source=(http://mime-backup.googlecode.com/files/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
>> md5sums=('9f6c3a33bffde6126b7a7bd85d38e7c5')
>>
>> build() {
>> cd ${srcdir}/$pkgname-$pkgver
>> chmod 644 ${srcdir}/$pkgname-$pkgver/mime.conf.sample
>> python2 setup.py install --root=${pkgdir}
>> }
>>

> This is great, thank you for taking the time to put this together. I am
> working on the suggestions provided by Kwpolska and believe I have found a
> new name. I was thinking of resetting the version number back to 1.0 after
> the rename and the move to github, since it would be the first release
> under that name. Does anyone see an issue with doing that?
>
> Squall
>
> --
> Yesterday is history.
> Tomorrow is a mystery.
> Today is a gift.
> That's why its called the present.
>
> Headmaster Squall :: The Wired/Section-9
> Close the world txen eht nepo
> $3R14L 3XP3R1M3NT$ #L41N
> http://twitter.com/headmastersqual

You are the project maintainer, so you decide! On a side note, I
think you don’t have many users, so a version change would work
nicely.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:13 PM
Squall Lionheart

> You are the project maintainer, so you decide! On a side note, I
> think you don’t have many users, so a version change would work
> nicely.

Thanks again. I have been in software development for nearly a decade and
am new to open source software so I'm just trying to learn whats best. I
will be resetting the version number on the move.

Squall

Old 08-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Leonidas Spyropoulos

On 10 Aug 2012 16:13, "Squall Lionheart" <headmastersquall@gmail.com> wrote:

> > You are the project maintainer, so you decide! On a side note, I
> > think you don’t have many users, so a version change would work
> > nicely.
> >

> Thanks again. I have been in software development for nearly a decade and
> am new to open source software so I'm just trying to learn whats best. I
> will be resetting the version number on the move.

I agree, if you are going to reset the version better do it now that the
project is young.
Let me know when you move it to github and I will update the PKGBUILD with
name change and new process of downloading the source.