Old 07-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Karol Babioch

Default ConsoleKit replaced by systemd

Hi,

I'm about to set up a new machine and want to make use of systemd.
Currently I'm reading up on the topic as systemd changes quite a lot of
things.

Just recently I've realized that ConsoleKit is not maintained actively
anymore and the focus is on systemd right now (see [1]). This is already
mentioned in the wiki [2].

Unfortunately I couldn't find any statement as to whether Arch will
follow along with this. I'm running GNOME right now and at least have
two dependencies for ConsoleKit: gdm and gnome-session.

I couldn't find anything in regard to this issue in the bug tracker, so
I'm wondering whether there has been some discussion over that already?

I know there have been some discussions about systemd in the past, but
are there any definite plans to switch "completely" to systemd at some
point in the future? It seems that the package "initscripts-systemd" is
more or less on feature parity with "initscripts" already.

The reason why I'm asking is that I don't think that this kind of
"double tracked" approach we are currently following, will work very
well in the long run, especially when systemd is superseding more and
more other packages.

Don't get me wrong: I'm really glad about the fact that Arch Linux is
supporting systemd so well. By no means I want to depreciate the work
you guys have done so far. I do absolutely think that we have to provide
both solutions in order to provide a smooth upgrade path. But personally
I think that at some point we have to make a choice - just for the sake
of simplicity. Personally I would choose systemd .

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/ConsoleKit/
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ConsoleKit