Old 07-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Arno Gaboury

Default mpd, ncmpcpp

Dear list

I am switching lots of my GUI apps to CLI ones.
Currently, I am moving from Clemetine music player to ncmpcpp.

My*mpd.conf *shall have some incorrect settings, as *mpd.log *returns
this error:

Jul 10 13:04 : avahi: Service 'Music Player' successfully established.
No protocol specified
xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
No protocol specified

I have been reading articles for hours now, but can't find any clear
answer. When I start ncmpcpp, I see my audio files, but when playing,
there is no sound.

Pulseaudio is well configured, as Clemetine is working perfectly.

Here is the part from my *mpd.conf*:

user "mpd"
audio_output {
type "pulse"
name "pulse audio"
mixer_type "software"
# server "127.0.0.1" # optional
## sink "remote_server_sink" # optional
}

Part of */etc/group*:

audio:x:92:mpd
users:x:100:mpd
avahi:x:84:
mpd:x:45:

I have no idea why this doesn't work. ssh is on my box, could it be the
cause ?

TY for your help.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Ben Darby

* Arno Gaboury (arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com) wrote:
>user "mpd"
> >audio_output {
> > type "pulse"
> > name "pulse audio"

Using mpd & pulse you need to run mpd as the same user that you're
logged in with and accessing pulse with on the desktop.

--
ben darby <bendarb@gmail.com>

Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Arno Gaboury

On 07/10/2012 01:55 PM, Ben Darby wrote:

* Arno Gaboury (arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com) wrote:
>user "mpd"

audio_output {
type "pulse"
name "pulse audio"

Using mpd & pulse you need to run mpd as the same user that you're
logged in with and accessing pulse with on the desktop.

Just found fater 3 hours of reading !

$ *aplay -l*
card 1: SoundSticks [SoundSticks], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Then I uncomment alsa in my *mpd.conf *this way:

audio_output {
type "alsa"
name "My ALSA Device"
device "*hw:1,0"* # optional -----> this indocate the
card 1 (Harmon Cardon soundsticks) device 0.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM
gt

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 01:47:48PM +0200, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> Dear list
>
> I am switching lots of my GUI apps to CLI ones.
> Currently, I am moving from Clemetine music player to ncmpcpp.
> [snip]

So, when are you switching to mutt :P

Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Arno Gaboury