Old 07-10-2012, 02:56 PM
Arno Gaboury

Default mpd, ncmpcpp

On 07/10/2012 04:50 PM, Nicholas MIller wrote:

On Jul 10, 2012 9:47 AM, "Arno Gaboury" <arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com> wrote:

On 07/10/2012 04:42 PM, Kwpolska wrote:

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com>

wrote:

On 07/10/2012 04:19 PM, gt wrote:

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 01:47:48PM +0200, Arno Gaboury wrote:

Dear list

I am switching lots of my GUI apps to CLI ones.
Currently, I am moving from Clemetine music player to ncmpcpp.
[snip]

So, when are you switching to mutt :P

Oh la la!! It is on my list! Shall be the next step. Best would be

before to

learn a litle bit of Vim.
But I will.
On the list:
thunderbird --> mutt
Firefox --> w3m
urxvt with colors

and last step, xfce --> DWM, i3 or awsome, doesn't know excatly

All this takes me a lot of time, as I shall find most of configurations

by

myself, but slowly, I do the job, and really love Arch !!

*EDIT *: want to switch to a full*systemd* too...

Isn’t that contrary to your plan? You want to use easier, lighter and
more KISS software. And you want to switch to*systemd. Which is
anywhere near KISS.
*

Ah? I thought it was indeed much more light and simple to manage, and

Arch was moving to a pure systemd. I think I must read more maybe!

when did arch state they are moving to systemd?
With systemd-tools replacing udev, I thought it was a first step to move
later to systemd. Then I remember a very long discussion on this list
about a potential move to systemd. I shall have misanderstood then!

Old 07-10-2012, 02:57 PM
Alexandre Ferrando

On 10 July 2012 16:56, Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com> wrote:

> With systemd-tools replacing udev, I thought it was a first step to move
> later to systemd. Then I remember a very long discussion on this list about
> a potential move to systemd. I shall have misanderstood then!

Wrong. That was because of upstream merging udev code into systemd
(not refering to PID1 systemd)

Old 07-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Arno Gaboury

With systemd-tools replacing udev, I thought it was a first step to move
later to systemd. Then I remember a very long discussion on this list about
a potential move to systemd. I shall have misanderstood then!

Wrong. That was because of upstream merging udev code into systemd
(not refering to PID1 systemd)
OK, OK. So I will stick with the Arch way and NO systemd so. Less work,
so best for me. As a n00b, I have enough work for the next two months to
configure my box the way I want, and use the convenient tools.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Guus Snijders

2012/7/10 Jameson <imntreal@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Kwpolska <kwpolska@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Isn’t that contrary to your plan? You want to use easier, lighter and
>> more KISS software. And you want to switch to systemd. Which is
>> anywhere near KISS.
>
> I probably shouldn't even go here, but IMHO, having one program start
> and stop stuff based on config files is more simple than a chain of
> shell scripts.

Really?
When i was running Debian, i'd agree with you. In that distro you
enabled/disabled daemons with symlinks in the correct locations.
Arch uses /etc/rc.conf where you add or remove items from a single array.

Ok, to be honest; i haven't looked very deep into systemd, but so far
i don't really like it for my systems.

As for the learning part: good for you! Learning vi (basics) will be
really helpful.

mvg,
Guus

Old 07-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Arno Gaboury

Isn’t that contrary to your plan? You want to use easier, lighter and
more KISS software. And you want to switch to systemd. Which is
anywhere near KISS.

I probably shouldn't even go here, but IMHO, having one program start
and stop stuff based on config files is more simple than a chain of
shell scripts.

Really?
When i was running Debian, i'd agree with you. In that distro you
enabled/disabled daemons with symlinks in the correct locations.
Arch uses /etc/rc.conf where you add or remove items from a single array.

Ok, to be honest; i haven't looked very deep into systemd, but so far
i don't really like it for my systems.

As for the learning part: good for you! Learning vi (basics) will be
really helpful.

mvg,
Guus
Forgot to the list : create a custom list of colors in my .Xressources,
then use them instead of all these ugly default colors on many apps.

Lucky, I am, unfortunately, an unemployed Trader, so I have time !!