Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Leonid Isaev

Default util-linux pacman error, file conflicts (safe to force?)

On Mon, 09 Jul 2012 10:49:46 -0500
"David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:

> Tom, All,
>
> I ran into the following error regarding util-linux upgrade. I've looked
> in the forum and the website, but nothing specific to it. The error is:
>
> (72/72) checking for file conflicts
> [###########################################] 100%
> error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
> util-linux: /bin/login exists in filesystem
> util-linux: /etc/pam.d/chfn exists in filesystem
> util-linux: /etc/pam.d/chsh exists in filesystem
> util-linux: /etc/pam.d/login exists in filesystem
> util-linux: /usr/bin/chfn exists in filesystem
> util-linux: /usr/bin/chsh exists in filesystem
> util-linux: /usr/bin/newgrp exists in filesystem
> util-linux: /usr/sbin/vigr exists in filesystem
> util-linux: /usr/sbin/vipw exists in filesystem
> util-linux: /usr/share/man/man1/chfn.1.gz exists in filesystem
> util-linux: /usr/share/man/man1/chsh.1.gz exists in filesystem
> util-linux: /usr/share/man/man1/login.1.gz exists in filesystem
> util-linux: /usr/share/man/man1/newgrp.1.gz exists in filesystem
> util-linux: /usr/share/man/man8/vigr.8.gz exists in filesystem
> util-linux: /usr/share/man/man8/vipw.8.gz exists in filesystem
> Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
>
> Is this safe to force? I ask because I don't want to kill login by
> forcing if there is a preferred way to do this.... What say the experts?

Hmm.. pacman should have taken care of this automatically.

Do: pacman -Sy && pacman -Su --ignore util-linux,shadow && pacman -S shadow
util-linux. If the last call fails, use --force.

/bin/login was owned by shadow. Now it is owned why util-linux. Apparently
utils-linux is tried first, that's why the update fails.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D

Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 AM
"David C. Rankin"

Old 07-10-2012, 04:42 AM
Gaetan Bisson

[2012-07-09 23:20:38 -0500] David C. Rankin:
> Any background on why files such as 'login' are changing packages?

Click on the "Subscribe" button there: