-   -   Free photo scan software with batch process? (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/681451-free-photo-scan-software-batch-process.html)

Arvid Warnecke 07-09-2012 05:53 AM

Free photo scan software with batch process?

Hi,

this is not too much Arch related, but maybe there are some analogue
photographers on the list who can give me some hints?
I am looking for a software for my Epson V700 Photo scanner which is
able to scan in batch mode.
I installed iscan last night, which is the official Epson software for
Linux, but it seems to be a bad version of the software for Mac or
Windows. There is no batch mode at all and when I tried to select one
photo from the scanner the selection always moved away and I wasn't able
to move it back to the picture... :(

I know there is VueScan for Linux, but I already tried it for Mac and I
didn't like it at all. The UI lacks any comfort and the results where
pretty bad. I know there are lots of people who use VueScan and are very
happy about it, but it seems that you have to spent much more time with
the tool than I am willing to. I don't take too many analogue photos at
the moment, I work full-time and I have two kids. There is no use for a
software where I have to spent a few weekends until I found the correct
workflow. ;)

TIA,
Arvid

--
[ Arvid Warnecke ][ arvid (at) nostalgix (dot) org ]
[ IRC/OPN: "madhatter" ][ http://www.nostalgix.org ]

Martti Kühne 07-09-2012 09:12 AM

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 07:53:59AM +0200, Arvid Warnecke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is not too much Arch related, but maybe there are some analogue
> photographers on the list who can give me some hints?
> I am looking for a software for my Epson V700 Photo scanner which is
> able to scan in batch mode.
> I installed iscan last night, which is the official Epson software for
> Linux, but it seems to be a bad version of the software for Mac or
> Windows. There is no batch mode at all and when I tried to select one
> photo from the scanner the selection always moved away and I wasn't able
> to move it back to the picture... :(

As I don't own a working scanner, I'm not sure if there is any such software.
In case you want to automate whatever terrible gui you have there, you may want
to look into community/xdotool [1].

cheers!
mar77i

[1] http://www.semicomplete.com/projects/xdotool/

Jayesh Badwaik 07-09-2012 09:53 AM

On Monday 09 Jul 2012 07:53:59 Arvid Warnecke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is not too much Arch related, but maybe there are some analogue
> photographers on the list who can give me some hints?
> I am looking for a software for my Epson V700 Photo scanner which is
> able to scan in batch mode.
> I installed iscan last night, which is the official Epson software for
> Linux, but it seems to be a bad version of the software for Mac or
> Windows. There is no batch mode at all and when I tried to select one
> photo from the scanner the selection always moved away and I wasn't
> able to move it back to the picture... :(
>
> I know there is VueScan for Linux, but I already tried it for Mac and
> I didn't like it at all. The UI lacks any comfort and the results
> where pretty bad. I know there are lots of people who use VueScan and
> are very happy about it, but it seems that you have to spent much
> more time with the tool than I am willing to. I don't take too many
> analogue photos at the moment, I work full-time and I have two kids.
> There is no use for a software where I have to spent a few weekends
> until I found the correct workflow. ;)
>
> TIA,
> Arvid

XSane is a very good choice I suppose. Right now I don't know. But it
used to do batch scans for my HP Officejet 4200 IIIRC.
--
Jayesh Badwaik
stop html mail | always bottom-post

Vitor Garcia 07-09-2012 12:56 PM

Free photo scan software with batch process?

I am looking for a software for my Epson V700 Photo scanner which is
able to scan in batch mode.

You should install sane:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sane

Then you can use the command line. Read the manual:
$ man scanimage

Cheers,
Vitor