Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   ArchLinux General Discussion (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/)
-   -   How to make wicd work under systemd? (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/681404-how-make-wicd-work-under-systemd.html)

Xin Zhao 07-08-2012 10:59 PM

How to make wicd work under systemd?
 
I changed to systemd recently but wicd does not start when system boots as
before.

I add /etc/systemd/wicd.service typed as
[Unit]
Description=Wicd Network Manager
Requires=syslog.target
After=syslog.target
Conflicts=NetworkManager.service

[Service]
Type=dbus
BusName=org.wicd.daemon
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/wicd
ExecStop=/usr/sbin/wicd -k

[Install]
WantedBy=network.target



Any solutions?
Thanks


Xin

Mantas Mikulėnas 07-08-2012 11:03 PM

How to make wicd work under systemd?
 
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM, Xin Zhao <sean.null@gmail.com> wrote:
> I changed to systemd recently but wicd does not start when system boots as
> before.
>
> I add /etc/systemd/wicd.service typed as

Units should be in /etc/systemd/system/.

> Requires=syslog.target
> After=syslog.target

These are not needed anymore.

> [Install]
> WantedBy=network.target

I think multi-user.target is traditional here...

Don't forget to `systemctl enable` your unit, and verify it with
`systemctl start` of course.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas

Tom Gundersen 07-08-2012 11:10 PM

How to make wicd work under systemd?
 
In addition to the comments from Mantas:

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Xin Zhao <sean.null@gmail.com> wrote:
> Conflicts=NetworkManager.service

This is usually not done

You probably want to add:

Wants=network.target
Before=network.target

That means that the network.target will become "active" once wicd is
up and running, so other services can order themselves
After=network.target.

-t

Mantas Mikulėnas 07-08-2012 11:16 PM

How to make wicd work under systemd?
 
...In other words, make it exactly like the "wicd.service" unit that
Arch already ships in extra/wicd.

Why did you write your own unit in the first place? `systemctl enable
wicd.service` should be sufficient.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas

Xin Zhao 07-08-2012 11:28 PM

How to make wicd work under systemd?
 
I write my own because
"systemctl enable wicd.service" failed
The error message is
Failed to issue method call: File exists


So I decide to google and write it on my own....

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 12:16 AM, Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...In other words, make it exactly like the "wicd.service" unit that
> Arch already ships in extra/wicd.
>
> Why did you write your own unit in the first place? `systemctl enable
> wicd.service` should be sufficient.
>
> --
> Mantas Mikulėnas
>

Tom Gundersen 07-08-2012 11:37 PM

How to make wicd work under systemd?
 
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Xin Zhao <sean.null@gmail.com> wrote:
> I write my own because
> "systemctl enable wicd.service" failed
> The error message is
> Failed to issue method call: File exists

Sounds like wicd is already enabled. You can verify this with
"systemctl status wicd.service". To start it, either reboot or do
"systemctl start wicd.service".

-t

Xin Zhao 07-08-2012 11:46 PM

How to make wicd work under systemd?
 
Thank you, Mantas and Tom.

Thanks again

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 12:37 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg@jklm.no> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Xin Zhao <sean.null@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I write my own because
> > "systemctl enable wicd.service" failed
> > The error message is
> > Failed to issue method call: File exists
>
> Sounds like wicd is already enabled. You can verify this with
> "systemctl status wicd.service". To start it, either reboot or do
> "systemctl start wicd.service".
>
> -t
>

Kevin Chadwick 07-09-2012 08:35 AM

How to make wicd work under systemd?
 
> I write my own because
> "systemctl enable wicd.service" failed
> The error message is
> Failed to issue method call: File exists
>
>
> So I decide to google and write it on my own....

So what would be the bare minimum unit file to add a commandline. I ask
because polkit is rediculous to edit especially if you have to
create policy from scratch such as on Fedora, POLKIT's HOME! Systemd
doesn't look anywhere near that level of idiocy, but I still wonder
how quickly a commandline could be added without pre-pregged unit files?

I guess you can fall back to rc anyway?

--
__________________________________________________ ______

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.
__________________________________________________ ______

Tom Gundersen 07-09-2012 09:47 AM

How to make wicd work under systemd?
 
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> I write my own because
>> "systemctl enable wicd.service" failed
>> The error message is
>> Failed to issue method call: File exists
>>
>>
>> So I decide to google and write it on my own....
>
> So what would be the bare minimum unit file to add a commandline. I ask
> because polkit is rediculous to edit especially if you have to
> create policy from scratch such as on Fedora, POLKIT's HOME! Systemd
> doesn't look anywhere near that level of idiocy, but I still wonder
> how quickly a commandline could be added without pre-pregged unit files?

What do you mean by "add a commandline"? If you want to debug your
boot you can do "systemctl enable debug-shell.service" and this will
be available on tty9 on next reboot. Not sure if that's what you want
though...?

-t

Kevin Chadwick 07-09-2012 10:05 AM

How to make wicd work under systemd?
 
> >> I write my own because
> >> "systemctl enable wicd.service" failed
> >> The error message is
> >> Failed to issue method call: File exists
> >>
> >>
> >> So I decide to google and write it on my own....
> >
> > So what would be the bare minimum unit file to add a commandline. I ask
> > because polkit is rediculous to edit especially if you have to
> > create policy from scratch such as on Fedora, POLKIT's HOME! Systemd
> > doesn't look anywhere near that level of idiocy, but I still wonder
> > how quickly a commandline could be added without pre-pregged unit files?
>
> What do you mean by "add a commandline"? If you want to debug your
> boot you can do "systemctl enable debug-shell.service" and this will
> be available on tty9 on next reboot. Not sure if that's what you want
> though...?

It's easy to add your own script to arches non systemd init system which
may even be a one liner if your in a hurry and a few more lines to add
pretty initialisation. Considering the author wishes all scripts to
disappear I am just wondering what the minimum required to be written
in a unit file is between the current init and systemd for a roll your
own or missing service.

Atleast systemd works eventually (after making multiple symlinks) and
gives complete info. Haven't spent long but I still haven't got
mythtv-backend to load after upgrading mythbuntu once. I'm thinking
I'll just add it to rc.local.

--
__________________________________________________ ______

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.
__________________________________________________ ______


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:30 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.