Old 07-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Mantas Mikulėnas

Default How to make wicd work under systemd?

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> I write my own because
>> "systemctl enable wicd.service" failed
>> The error message is
>> Failed to issue method call: File exists
>>

>> So I decide to google and write it on my own....
>
> So what would be the bare minimum unit file to add a commandline.

Since you decided /not/ to google and try writing one on your own,
here's a two-liner.

---
[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/bin/xinetd -dontfork
---

/usr/lib/systemd/system is full of examples, most of which look like:

---
[Unit]
Description=OpenLDAP server daemon

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/slapd

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
---

> because polkit is rediculous to edit especially if you have to
> create policy from scratch such as on Fedora, POLKIT's HOME!

And this is related to systemd how exactly?

> I guess you can fall back to rc anyway?

The initscripts-systemd package will add support for both rc.local and
individual rc.d scripts.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas

Old 07-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Kevin Chadwick

> Since you decided /not/ to google and try writing one on your own,
> here's a two-liner.

You shouldn't need to Google to be sure of that. Thankyou for saving me
more time than it cost you.

> ---
> [Service]
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/xinetd -dontfork
> ---
>
> > I guess you can fall back to rc anyway?
>
> The initscripts-systemd package will add support for both rc.local and
> individual rc.d scripts.

Cool so the statement from the design document.

"So, let's get rid of shell scripts in the boot process!"

Is more like reduce than get rid. In fact aside from the copying and
symlinking it may be quicker than the current arch system to add a
custom service. Though it may take longer to be sure of that
initially :-).

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:41 PM
Mantas Mikulėnas

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> The initscripts-systemd package will add support for both rc.local and
>> individual rc.d scripts.
>
> Cool so the statement from the design document.
>
> "So, let's get rid of shell scripts in the boot process!"
>
> Is more like reduce than get rid. In fact aside from the copying and
> symlinking it may be quicker than the current arch system to add a
> custom service. Though it may take longer to be sure of that
> initially :-).

The intent is to get rid, completely, of the shellscripts currently in
/etc/rc.d/ or /etc/init.d/, replacing them with native systemd units.

However, it does not try to stop you from running arbitrary programs –
shell scripts or not – as part of your boot process. If you write a
unit to start /etc/rc.local or /etc/rc.d/yourdaemon, it won't complain
– you just lose some of the advantages of systemd if you run all your
daemons like that.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas