FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > ArchLinux > ArchLinux General Discussion

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Mateusz Loskot
 
Default Alternative to Shutter application

Hi,

Does anyone know a screenshot taking and snipping application,
similar to the Shutter (http://shutter-project.org/), but 'more suckless'.
It is a tool that
- takes a screenshot
- allows to select area and crop
- is implemented in C
- without enormous list of dependencies
- is simpler, without too many edit or sharing features.

IOW, something similar to the Snipping Tool known from Windows Vitsa/7+.

Do you know anything like that?

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net
 
Old 07-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Patrick Burroughs
 
Default Alternative to Shutter application

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz@loskot.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know a screenshot taking and snipping application,
> similar to the Shutter (http://shutter-project.org/), but 'more suckless'.

Scrot fits your list of feature requirements in 56KB. It's in extra.

~Celti
 
Old 07-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Gour
 
Default Alternative to Shutter application

On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 20:18:50 +0100
Mateusz Loskot <mateusz@loskot.net> wrote:

> Do you know anything like that?

Doesn't your desktop environment have one?

I'm happy with xfce4-screenshooter plugin for Xfce.


Sincerely,
Gour


--
Everyone is forced to act helplessly according to the qualities
he has acquired from the modes of material nature; therefore no
one can refrain from doing something, not even for a moment.

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810
 
Old 07-07-2012, 07:26 PM
"D. Can Celasun"
 
Default Alternative to Shutter application

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz@loskot.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know a screenshot taking and snipping application,
> similar to the Shutter (http://shutter-project.org/), but 'more suckless'.
> It is a tool that
> - takes a screenshot
> - allows to select area and crop
> - is implemented in C
> - without enormous list of dependencies
> - is simpler, without too many edit or sharing features.
>
> IOW, something similar to the Snipping Tool known from Windows Vitsa/7+.
>
> Do you know anything like that?
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

Hi,

I would strongly recommend "Deepin Scrot". You can find a review of it
here [1]. It's also available on the AUR [2].

[1] http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/use-linux-deepin-screenshot-tool-deepin.html
[2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=55299
--
D. Can Celasun
http://durucancelasun.info
 
Old 07-08-2012, 01:51 AM
Gaetan Bisson
 
Default Alternative to Shutter application

[2012-07-07 21:25:14 +0200] Gour:
> Doesn't your desktop environment have one?

Your X environment has one, in the package xorg-xwd:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xwd

--
Gaetan
 
Old 07-08-2012, 02:31 AM
Pete
 
Default Alternative to Shutter application

On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 09:25:14PM +0200, Gour wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 20:18:50 +0100
> Mateusz Loskot <mateusz@loskot.net> wrote:
>
> > Do you know anything like that?
>
> Doesn't your desktop environment have one?

I guess we have to assume that there is a DE.

--

Pete
 
Old 07-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Mateusz Loskot
 
Default Alternative to Shutter application

On 7 July 2012 20:24, Patrick Burroughs <celticmadman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz@loskot.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone know a screenshot taking and snipping application,
>> similar to the Shutter (http://shutter-project.org/), but 'more suckless'.
>
> Scrot fits your list of feature requirements in 56KB. It's in extra.

I have scrot configured [1] to print screen under i3wm, but I have
completely missed the fact it has the nice --select option.

That is what I'm looking for, thanks!

[1] https://github.com/mloskot/archlinux-config/blob/master/home/mloskot/bin/mlscreenshot.sh

Best regards
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net
 
Old 07-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Mateusz Loskot
 
Default Alternative to Shutter application

On 7 July 2012 20:25, Gour <gour@atmarama.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jul 2012 20:18:50 +0100
> Mateusz Loskot <mateusz@loskot.net> wrote:
>
>> Do you know anything like that?
>
> Doesn't your desktop environment have one?

Nope. I do not use DE. I use i3 window manager.
Anyway, my problem solved with scrot.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net
 
Old 07-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Mateusz Loskot
 
Default Alternative to Shutter application

On 8 July 2012 02:51, Gaetan Bisson <bisson@archlinux.org> wrote:
> [2012-07-07 21:25:14 +0200] Gour:
>> Doesn't your desktop environment have one?
>
> Your X environment has one, in the package xorg-xwd:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xwd

I had no idea about Xwd.
Thanks for pointing to another interesting tool.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net
 
Old 07-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Mateusz Loskot
 
Default Alternative to Shutter application

On 7 July 2012 20:26, D. Can Celasun <dcelasun@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz@loskot.net> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know a screenshot taking and snipping application,
>> similar to the Shutter (http://shutter-project.org/), but 'more suckless'.
>> It is a tool that
>> - takes a screenshot
>> - allows to select area and crop
>> - is implemented in C
>> - without enormous list of dependencies
>> - is simpler, without too many edit or sharing features.
>>
>> IOW, something similar to the Snipping Tool known from Windows Vitsa/7+.
>>
>> Do you know anything like that?
>
>
> I would strongly recommend "Deepin Scrot". You can find a review of it
> here [1]. It's also available on the AUR [2].
>
> [1] http://www.webupd8.org/2012/03/use-linux-deepin-screenshot-tool-deepin.html
> [2] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=55299

Despite I like Python and I do a lot of Python programming,
Python-based software do not fit the concept of lightweight,
lean and 'suckless' tools I like to use on my Linux :-)

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org