-   -   MPD volume problems after update -> mpd 0.17-1 (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/679912-mpd-volume-problems-after-update-mpd-0-17-1-a.html)

Gaetan Bisson 07-04-2012 01:32 AM

MPD volume problems after update -> mpd 0.17-1

[2012-07-03 21:23:01 -0400] Sébastien le Preste de Vauban:
> if I attempt to change the volume of the current song being played
> by mpd (tested with ncmpcpp and sonata), the volume gets muted, no
> sound can be heard. This did not happen with older version of mpd
> 0.16.x. I haven't touched my mpd.conf and mpd.log does not show
> anything suspicious.

It works for me with ncmpc. Could you try with it?

> <http://shining-global.en.alibaba.com/>

What's this?

--
Gaetan

Sébastien le Preste de Vauban 07-04-2012 02:11 AM

MPD volume problems after update -> mpd 0.17-1

[2012-07-03 21:23:01 -0400] Sébastien le Preste de Vauban:

if I attempt to change the volume of the current song being played
by mpd (tested with ncmpcpp and sonata), the volume gets muted, no
sound can be heard. This did not happen with older version of mpd
0.16.x. I haven't touched my mpd.conf and mpd.log does not show
anything suspicious.

It works for me with ncmpc. Could you try with it?

<http://shining-global.en.alibaba.com/>

What's this?

That's weird, it's one website I recently visited, how come it got to
you, I don't know, it does not appear in my send email.

I tried with ncmpc and got the same results, I will check my alsa and
mpd configs files.

Gaetan Bisson 07-04-2012 02:20 AM

MPD volume problems after update -> mpd 0.17-1

[2012-07-03 22:11:18 -0400] Sébastien le Preste de Vauban:
> El 03/07/12 21:32, Gaetan Bisson escribió:
> >[2012-07-03 21:23:01 -0400] Sébastien le Preste de Vauban:
> > > <http://shining-global.en.alibaba.com/>
> >
> > What's this?
>
> That's weird, it's one website I recently visited, how come it got
> to you, I don't know, it does not appear in my send email.

Well it is there:

http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2012-July/027863.html

> I tried with ncmpc and got the same results, I will check my alsa
> and mpd configs files.

Feel free to open a bug report against MPD if this persists (or even
ALSA if you cannot adjust the volume in other applications either, say
like mplayer).

Cheers.

--
Gaetan

Bjoern Franke 07-04-2012 09:32 AM

MPD volume problems after update -> mpd 0.17-1

Am Dienstag, den 03.07.2012, 21:23 -0400 schrieb Sébastien le Preste de
Vauban:
> if I attempt to change the volume of the current song being played by
> mpd (tested with ncmpcpp and sonata), the volume gets muted, no sound
> can be heard. This did not happen with older version of mpd 0.16.x. I
> haven't touched my mpd.conf and mpd.log does not show anything suspicious.

Here it works fine with gmpc.

--
xmpp: bjo@schafweide.org
bjo.nord-west.org | nord-west.org | freifunk-ol.de

Gaetan Bisson 07-04-2012 09:36 AM

MPD volume problems after update -> mpd 0.17-1

[2012-07-04 11:32:18 +0200] Bjoern Franke:
> Am Dienstag, den 03.07.2012, 21:23 -0400 schrieb Sébastien le Preste de
> Vauban:
> > if I attempt to change the volume of the current song being played by
> > mpd (tested with ncmpcpp and sonata), the volume gets muted, no sound
> > can be heard. This did not happen with older version of mpd 0.16.x. I
> > haven't touched my mpd.conf and mpd.log does not show anything suspicious.
>
> Here it works fine with gmpc.

Did you read the rest of the discussion? We already established that
this problem is specific to his ALSA or MPD configuration...

--
Gaetan

Martti Kühne 07-04-2012 03:15 PM

On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 12:20:40PM +1000, Gaetan Bisson wrote:
> [2012-07-03 22:11:18 -0400] Sébastien le Preste de Vauban:
> > I tried with ncmpc and got the same results, I will check my alsa
> > and mpd configs files.
>
> Feel free to open a bug report against MPD if this persists (or even
> ALSA if you cannot adjust the volume in other applications either, say
> like mplayer).
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Gaetan

I'm sorry, but I find it extremely confusing that you discuss if any of the
clients make a difference on the mpd server's behavior. There's a section
audio_output in mpd.conf, which probably caught some glitch, probably related
to your sound system. checked for a /etc/mpd.conf.pacnew yet?
as for my own config:

audio_output {
type "alsa"
mixer_type "software"
mixer_control "Master"
}

also, there are plenty of examples in my mpd.conf, some fiddling will likely
solve the issue rather than installing 4 other clients...
In other words, a different shaman won't replace your temple's lightning rod
either.

cheers!
mar77i

Gaetan Bisson 07-04-2012 11:25 PM

MPD volume problems after update -> mpd 0.17-1

[2012-07-04 17:15:37 +0200] Martti Kühne:
> I'm sorry, but I find it extremely confusing that you discuss if any of the
> clients make a difference on the mpd server's behavior.

This was to know whether his issue was client or server side.

> There's a section
> audio_output in mpd.conf, which probably caught some glitch, probably related
> to your sound system.

Me, I have no issue... Try replying to Sébastien instead.

> checked for a /etc/mpd.conf.pacnew yet?
> as for my own config:
>
> audio_output {
> type "alsa"
> mixer_type "software"
> mixer_control "Master"
> }
>
> also, there are plenty of examples in my mpd.conf, some fiddling will likely
> solve the issue

That's a horrendous approach to problem solving, really. My advice: let
everything commented in your mpd.conf so that MPD autodetects ALSA...

--
Gaetan

Martti Kühne 07-05-2012 12:28 AM

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 09:25:58AM +1000, Gaetan Bisson wrote:

> That's a horrendous approach to problem solving, really. My advice: let
> everything commented in your mpd.conf so that MPD autodetects ALSA...
>
> --
> Gaetan

+1 I am aware I sometimes overlook the obvious. OTOH I tried to answer without
best-guessing OP's sound system.

cheers!
mar77i

Gabriel Fornaeus 07-06-2012 03:11 PM

MPD volume problems after update -> mpd 0.17-1

Does this happen with other applications that use ALSA and changes the Master volume too?
A tip is to use software volume control, I think it's quite nice to
have indiviual control of applications volume. Also OSS > ALSA
able to
On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 09:23:01PM -0400, Sébastien le Preste de Vauban wrote:
> if I attempt to change the volume of the current song being played
> by mpd (tested with ncmpcpp and sonata), the volume gets muted, no
> sound can be heard. This did not happen with older version of mpd
> 0.16.x. I haven't touched my mpd.conf and mpd.log does not show
> anything suspicious.
> <http://shining-global.en.alibaba.com/>

--
Kind regards: