Old 07-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Tom Gundersen

Default final leg of /lib removal

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Dave Reisner <d@falconindy.com> wrote:
> As with any large change, I'll mention on dev-public when this goes to
> testing, and there will be an associated news item when it moves to
> core.

I suggest also adding a post-upgrade message to kmod. Something like:

"Kernel modules are now read from /usr/lib/modules, all custom built
modules must be moved there before rebooting."

We all know that no one reads the news items, nor dev-public, so I
think adding an extra warning should save us a few hundred
mails/forumposts/IRC conversations.

-t

Old 07-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Oon-Ee Ng

On Jul 4, 2012 3:38 AM, "Tom Gundersen" <teg@jklm.no> wrote:

> We all know that no one reads the news items, nor dev-public, so I
> think adding an extra warning should save us a few hundred
> mails/forumposts/IRC conversations.
>
> -t

I see a good opportunity to start pruning the list of users of all the
above channels =). The same users who don't read the above may not notice
post-upgrade messages either.

On the flip side, most custom kernel users should be more savvy than the
average, do I don't see much of a problem. I maintain two aur kennels,
shall I implement the move now (seems like it'd work even before kmod
upgrades)?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Oon-Ee Ng

Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Tom Gundersen

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 1:34 AM, Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Worst case scenario, users of custom kernels can:
>>
>> - manually move /lib/modules/mycustomkernel to /usr/lib/modules/ until
>> they can do a proper rebuild.
>> - boot a stock -ARCH kernel (you DO have it listed as a fallback,
>> right?) until they can do a proper rebuild.
>

> Wouldn't another option be to build all important modules into the
> kernel?

Sure, it would let you boot, but you'll still have to move over all
the "unimportant" ones...

-t

Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Mantas MikulÄ—nas

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Genes MailLists <lists@sapience.com> wrote:
> -bash: warning: setlocale: LC_CTYPE: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8): No
> such file or directory
> -bash: warning: setlocale: LC_NUMERIC: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8):
> No such file or directory
> -bash: warning: setlocale: LC_TIME: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8): No
> such file or directory
> -bash: warning: setlocale: LC_COLLATE: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8):
> No such file or directory
> -bash: warning: setlocale: LC_MESSAGES: cannot change locale (en_US.UTF-8):
> No such file or directory
>
> Any suggestions how I can fix it?

`locale-gen` should help.

--