Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Serge Hooge

Default CUPS not recognizing the printer

Greetings all,

I have an HP LaserJet M1132 hooked via a USB port.
It worked quite fine until my recent -Syu, where it suddenly stopped
working. Since I had hplip upgraded, I assumed I have to reinstall the
printer, so I removed it via the CUPS webinterface and right now I can't
seem to get it installed again!
Both CUPS and hp-setup fail to see it, however lsusb, dmesg and
usb-devices clearly show it's there. The device node permissions are
fine too. usblp is blacklisted, but I tried the installation after
probing it, which didn't help.
lpinfo -v stopped showing anything about USB.

It doesn't seem that -Syu has something to do with it, since
downgrading all the packages I've upgraded didn't help, I'm thinking
this has something to do with the libusb -> libusbx transition earlier.

Also tried the suggested solution to the same problem from here with no
luck: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1119424#p1119424

Anyone can help?

--
Serge Hooge

Old 07-02-2012, 05:51 PM
Squall Lionheart

> Greetings all,
>
> I have an HP LaserJet M1132 hooked via a USB port.
> It worked quite fine until my recent -Syu, where it suddenly stopped
> working. Since I had hplip upgraded, I assumed I have to reinstall the
> printer, so I removed it via the CUPS webinterface and right now I can't
> seem to get it installed again!
> Both CUPS and hp-setup fail to see it, however lsusb, dmesg and
> usb-devices clearly show it's there. The device node permissions are
> fine too. usblp is blacklisted, but I tried the installation after
> probing it, which didn't help.
> lpinfo -v stopped showing anything about USB.
>
> It doesn't seem that -Syu has something to do with it, since
> downgrading all the packages I've upgraded didn't help, I'm thinking
> this has something to do with the libusb -> libusbx transition earlier.
>
> Also tried the suggested solution to the same problem from here with no
> luck: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1119424#p1119424
>
> Anyone can help?
>
> --
> Serge Hooge
>
> () ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
> / www.asciiribbon.org - against proprietary attachments

Not sure if this is related, but after my update this morning I am getting
this message in my CUPS configuration. Searched the web and only found bug
report entry on the Ubuntu forms. Not sure of a solution yet.

*"The PPD version (5.2.7) is not compatible with Gutenprint 5.2.8."
*
--
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.

Headmaster Squall :: The Wired/Section-9
Close the world txen eht nepo
$3R14L 3XP3R1M3NT$ #L41N
http://twitter.com/headmastersqual

Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Serge Hooge

> Not sure if this is related, but after my update this morning I am
> getting this message in my CUPS configuration. Searched the web and
> only found bug report entry on the Ubuntu forms. Not sure of a
> solution yet.
>
> *"The PPD version (5.2.7) is not compatible with Gutenprint 5.2.8."
> *

Not exactly what I had, but it simply looks like your PPD's outdated.
Have you tried fetching a more recent PPD and pointing CUPS to it?

I managed to get my printer working right after installing it in a
Debian machine without a failure. As I plugged it back to my Arch and
ran hp-setup it suddenly got recognized, but hp-setup kept failing.
Installing via the CUPS webinterface helped, the Test Page is fine.

--
Serge Hooge