Old 07-01-2012, 07:33 PM
Myra Nelson

Default Request of printing warnings at the end of pacman upgrade

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 12:15 PM, BlissSam <m13253@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Not every thing news will report!
>
> For example every time that virtualbox-modules upgrades it will say, 'please reload all the modules or reboot to take the changes'. Will this be in the news?
>
> Also, if some packages upgrades and require you to add yourself into a certain group (I mean the older version does not require but the newer requires). You know, during an upgrade of libgphoto, it says 'now you no longer need to be in group photo', and the former situation is the reverse of the libphoto example.
>
> I know that checking the news before upgrading is a good habit. However, checking the news do not mean you are safe!
> And why not just wait and see other users comments? Before the posting here, I asked several users on the IRC, and get positive reactions. I believe that MOST (I do not mean ALL, just MOST) users will like it.
>> Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 18:09:35 +0100
>> From: j.k.pate@sms.ed.ac.uk
>> To: arch-general@archlinux.org
>> Subject: Re: [arch-general] Request of printing warnings at the end of pacman upgrade
>>
>> On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 00:56:24 +0800
>> BlissSam <m13253@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > And what I also want to say, the message should not be printed too often unless a really really important package is upgraded (such a bootloader or something else).
>> > Or if the message is printed EVERY time upgrading the system, no one will check the log.
>>
>> Isn't this taken care of by just checking the news before upgrading, which you should do anyway?
>>
>> --
>> John K Pate http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0930006/

It's best to follow the arch-projects, dev-public, and arch-general
mailing lists as well as arch news. Following dev-public will keep you
informed of upcoming changes before they happen. Rather than cat
/var/log/pacman.log | grep (W)', you can install lnav from the aur
repository then sudo lnav /var/log/pacman.log and scroll through the
log quickly and find any messages. I'm not as advanced as most Arch
users, but this works for me while running testing repos. It really
does follow the KISS principle of Arch.

Myra