-   -   Not able to loopback sound between line-in (mic) and speakers / line-out (head phones). (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/679066-not-able-loopback-sound-between-line-mic-speakers-line-out-head-phones.html)

Javier Vasquez 07-01-2012 05:31 PM

Not able to loopback sound between line-in (mic) and speakers / line-out (head phones).

Hi,

I'm using a HP EliteBook 8540w laptop. It comes with following audio card:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
High Definition Audio (rev 05)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1521
Memory at d7520000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

Udev automatically loads the following modules for this card:

% lsmod | 'grep' snd
snd_hda_codec_hdmi 23672 4
snd_hda_codec_idt 55508 1
snd_hda_intel 24053 7
snd_hda_codec 94273 3
snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep 6300 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 74958 5 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
snd_page_alloc 7217 2 snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
snd_timer 18966 3 snd_pcm
snd 58997 17
snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_cod ec_idt,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
soundcore 5410 1 snd

I use plain alsa to handle audio. Alsa offers for this card
(alsamixer -V all) the following controls:

* Master (unmuted - 42)
* Headphone (unmuted - 84)
* Speaker (unmuted - 84)
* PCM (unmuted - 85)
* Mic Jack Mode (Line In)
* Beep (muted - 0)
* Capture ( 80)
* Digital ( 86)
* Muted-LED Mode (Follow Master)
* Mux ( 0)

To make a loopbak between line-in (mic input but configured as
line-in) and any sort of audio out (speakers, line-out/headphones) I
have to do:

% arecord | aplay

Does anyone has this card or similar, and experience the same thing?
I might be mistaken, but I understand through reading different
forums, that this SW loopback using alsa utilities beyond alsamixer
shouldn't be necessary. Is that right, or it's just that alsa doesn't
offer such capability for this card? If someone has figured how to
avoid using the "arecord | aplay" loop, please let me know.

BTW, I've played around with the controls, including Mux, and there's
no way I can dispense of "arecord | aplay". I haven't added
additional modules, like snd-mixer-oss or snd-pcm-oss, but they don't
sound relevant to me at first (might be mistaken though), :-)

Thanks,

--
Javier.

Javier Vasquez 07-01-2012 06:22 PM

On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a HP EliteBook 8540w laptop. It comes with following audio card:
>
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset
> High Definition Audio (rev 05)
> Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1521
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 54
> Memory at d7520000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> Capabilities: <access denied>
> Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
>
> Udev automatically loads the following modules for this card:
>
> % lsmod | 'grep' snd
> snd_hda_codec_hdmi 23672 4
> snd_hda_codec_idt 55508 1
> snd_hda_intel 24053 7
> snd_hda_codec 94273 3
> snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_idt,snd_hda_intel
> snd_hwdep 6300 1 snd_hda_codec
> snd_pcm 74958 5 snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
> snd_page_alloc 7217 2 snd_pcm,snd_hda_intel
> snd_timer 18966 3 snd_pcm
> snd 58997 17
> snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_cod ec_idt,snd_pcm,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel
> soundcore 5410 1 snd
>
> I use plain alsa to handle audio. Alsa offers for this card
> (alsamixer -V all) the following controls:
>
> * Master (unmuted - 42)
> * Headphone (unmuted - 84)
> * Speaker (unmuted - 84)
> * PCM (unmuted - 85)
> * Mic Jack Mode (Line In)
> * Beep (muted - 0)
> * Capture ( 80)
> * Digital ( 86)
> * Muted-LED Mode (Follow Master)
> * Mux ( 0)
>
> To make a loopbak between line-in (mic input but configured as
> line-in) and any sort of audio out (speakers, line-out/headphones) I
> have to do:
>
> % arecord | aplay
>
> Does anyone has this card or similar, and experience the same thing?
> I might be mistaken, but I understand through reading different
> forums, that this SW loopback using alsa utilities beyond alsamixer
> shouldn't be necessary. Is that right, or it's just that alsa doesn't
> offer such capability for this card? If someone has figured how to
> avoid using the "arecord | aplay" loop, please let me know.
>
> BTW, I've played around with the controls, including Mux, and there's
> no way I can dispense of "arecord | aplay". I haven't added
> additional modules, like snd-mixer-oss or snd-pcm-oss, but they don't
> sound relevant to me at first (might be mistaken though), :-)

Forgot to mention that the "arecord | aplay" introduces a weird echo,
so that's why I was looking to avoid using it, :-) I played around
with "--disable-resample" and the rate, but I always got the echo.
When music sounds, the resulting mix can be bared. When the sound is
people talking, then it's hard to understand, :-)

--
Javier.