-   -   cpufreq stopped working (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/678692-cpufreq-stopped-working.html)

Martin Zecher 06-30-2012 05:14 AM

cpufreq stopped working

I'm not really sure when cpufreq stopped working, maybe 2 or 3 months ago.
It was working fine before and I don't really remember making any change in
configuration.

Running cpupower frequency-info gives me this:
analyzing CPU 0:
no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
boost state support:
Supported: no
Active: no

lsmod | grep cpu gives this:
acpi_cpufreq 10458 1
mperf 1235 1 acpi_cpufreq
processor 26567 3 acpi_cpufreq

So, acpi_cpufreq is loaded (this is the module I had to load aside with for
cpufreq to work

journalctl | grep cpu gives this:
Jun 30 00:45:47 cerdo kernel: Initializing cgroup subsys cpuset
Jun 30 00:45:47 cerdo kernel: x86 PAT enabled: cpu 0, old 0x7040600070406,
...06
Jun 30 00:45:47 cerdo kernel: setup_percpu: NR_CPUS:64 nr_cpumask_bits:64
n...:1
Jun 30 00:45:47 cerdo kernel: PERCPU: Embedded 27 pages/cpu
@ffff88013fc000...88
Jun 30 00:45:47 cerdo kernel: pcpu-alloc: s80640 r8192 d21760 u524288
alloc...52
Jun 30 00:45:47 cerdo kernel: pcpu-alloc: [0] 0 1 2 3
Jun 30 00:45:47 cerdo kernel: cpuidle: using governor ladder
Jun 30 00:45:47 cerdo kernel: cpuidle: using governor menu
Jun 30 00:45:49 cerdo kernel: ACPI: Requesting acpi_cpufreq
Jun 30 00:45:49 cerdo kernel: ACPI: acpi_idle registered with cpuidle
Jun 30 00:45:50 cerdo kernel: Modules linked in: acpi_cpufreq(+) mperf
batt...he
Jun 30 00:45:50 cerdo kernel: [<ffffffffa01df081>]
acpi_cpufreq_init+0x81/0...q]
Jun 30 00:46:08 cerdo systemd[1]: Failed to create cgroup cpu:/: No such
fi...ry

cat /proc/cpuinfo gives this:
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 23
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 6
microcode : 0x60f
cpu MHz : 2393.998
cache size : 3072 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64
monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm dts
tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips : 4789.22
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

processor : 1
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 23
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8600 @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 6
microcode : 0x60f
cpu MHz : 2393.998
cache size : 3072 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl aperfmperf pni dtes64
monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm dts
tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips : 4789.22
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:

SpeedStep is enabled in BIOS. The firmware is also the latest, but I must
load microcode (from intel-ucode) to get a newer firmware for my CPU.

Some details of my box:
x86_64, SSD
linux-ck-corex 3.4.4-2, but the same happens with linux 3.4.4-2. I also
tested linux-3.3.8-1 without luck
nvidia-ck-corex 302.17-1
systemd, but the same happens when booting with standard initscripts
I have only ArchLinux installed in my laptop since I bought it (so I cannot
test in Window$ if frequency scaling is working)

I found a similar report 2 months ago, apparently not solved yet:
I don't have overheating problems though. CPU runs at about 40 °C all the
time.

Here is another similar problem, but also without a solution:

I don't really know what else to do. I would really appreciate some help
with this.
Thanks for reading.

--
Martin

Código de novios Falabella: 585855-00 (gracias!)

No envíen archivos pesados por mail.
Usen DropBox <https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTIwODk0MDk> (2GB + *500MB
bonus*) o SpiderOak<https://spideroak.com/download/referral/dd6b3051b5f1f10a5674d694f22dd3e8>(tras
registrarse vayan a 'buy more space' e ingresen el código
"worldbackupday" --> *8GB*)

Jesse Juhani Jaara 06-30-2012 11:58 AM

cpufreq stopped working

la, 2012-06-30 kello 01:14 -0400, Martin Zecher kirjoitti:
> I'm not really sure when cpufreq stopped working, maybe 2 or 3 months ago.
> It was working fine before and I don't really remember making any change in
> configuration.

Cpufreq utils are deprecated and replaced with cpupower utils. Try
installing cpupower and see if it works ^_^

Martin Zecher 06-30-2012 02:05 PM

cpufreq stopped working

Thanks for answering.

I already installed cpupower with no luck. I think that the problem is
related with the module acpi_cpufreq, which loads but does nothing at all.

Leonid Isaev 06-30-2012 03:00 PM

cpufreq stopped working

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:05:29 -0400
Martin Zecher <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for answering.
>
> I already installed cpupower with no luck. I think that the problem is
> related with the module acpi_cpufreq, which loads but does nothing at all.

For basic (automatic) scaling you don't need either cpupower nor cpufreq nor
MODULES=(acpi_cpufreq) with linux 3.4.x. From your previous email, it follows
that your kernel oopses. Please show the complete relevant piece from
kernel.log (or whatever place systemd logs to, not grepped). Also, you could
try booting w/o nvidia to not taint kernel.

> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Jesse Juhani Jaara
> <jesse.jaara@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > la, 2012-06-30 kello 01:14 -0400, Martin Zecher kirjoitti:
> > > I'm not really sure when cpufreq stopped working, maybe 2 or 3 months
> > ago.
> > > It was working fine before and I don't really remember making any change
> > in
> > > configuration.
> >
> > Cpufreq utils are deprecated and replaced with cpupower utils. Try
> > installing cpupower and see if it works ^_^

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key: 0x164B5A6D

Leonidas Spyropoulos 06-30-2012 08:37 PM

cpufreq stopped working

On Jun 30, 2012 4:01 PM, "Leonid Isaev" <lisaev@umail.iu.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:05:29 -0400
> Martin Zecher <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for answering.
> >
> > I already installed cpupower with no luck. I think that the problem is
> > related with the module acpi_cpufreq, which loads but does nothing at
all.

> For basic (automatic) scaling you don't need either cpupower nor cpufreq
nor
> MODULES=(acpi_cpufreq) with linux 3.4.x.

Can you elaborate in that a bit more? Does the kernel handle that? What
does the cpupower or cpufreq offer more?

From your previous email, it follows

Leonid Isaev 06-30-2012 09:24 PM

cpufreq stopped working

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:37:39 +0100
Leonidas Spyropoulos <artafinde@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2012 4:01 PM, "Leonid Isaev" <lisaev@umail.iu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:05:29 -0400
> > Martin Zecher <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for answering.
> > >
> > > I already installed cpupower with no luck. I think that the problem is
> > > related with the module acpi_cpufreq, which loads but does nothing at
> all.
> >
> > For basic (automatic) scaling you don't need either cpupower nor cpufreq
> nor
> > MODULES=(acpi_cpufreq) with linux 3.4.x.
>
> Can you elaborate in that a bit more? Does the kernel handle that? What
> does the cpupower or cpufreq offer more?

Yes, it's what they call CPU driver autoprobing:
http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.4#head-9df4e508cb97f4e138c590b9ccff3e0eda6cc7fc.

Basically, if your CPU supports scaling, the corresponding driver will be
loaded automatically. This and the fact that arch kernel now defaults to
ONDEMAND governor (CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND=y, FS#28778),
eliminates the need for userspace tools and explicit module loading.

If you want just default scaling (within hw defaults), you don't have to do
anything beyond enabling speedstep/coolnquiet in BIOS. But if you want to see
various info, control frequency range (to downclock, for instance) or change
the governor from the userspace, you'll have to install either cpupower or
cpufrequtils. Of course, you could achive some of it functionality by simply
echoing parameters to corresponding files in /sys/devices/system/cpu/*.

If you need to control frequency based on acpi events, you'll probably need
cpupower: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CPU_Frequency_Scaling.

Martin Zecher 07-01-2012 03:10 PM

cpufreq stopped working

Thanks a lot for your help Leonid.

I don't know if this list allows attachments, so I better send you a link:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/208940/journalctl

Martin Zecher 07-01-2012 03:44 PM

cpufreq stopped working

Sorry, I forgot to say that already tried booting directly into console
(without nvidia).

Leonid Isaev 07-01-2012 09:50 PM

cpufreq stopped working

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 11:10:07 -0400
Martin Zecher <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your help Leonid.
>
> I don't know if this list allows attachments, so I better send you a link:
> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/208940/journalctl

Please report it to https://bugzilla.kernel.org/ because this is something
specific to your motherboard (MSI MS-1651). The relevant part starts with
"BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at (null)". But before,
I would suggest booting from an arch (stable kernel 3.0.3) or another distro
iso to verify that it's an issue with the latest kernel. In case of arch
you'll have to manually modprobe acpi_cpufreq, other livecds might load it
automatically, e.g. opensuse 12.1 (kernel 3.1.0; not sure about earlier
versions) definitely does.

Martin Zecher 07-02-2012 04:23 PM

cpufreq stopped working

Thanks a lot Leonid.

When I said that the problem also happened with kernel 3.3.8, I was wrong
(because that time I forgot modprobing acpi_cpufreq). So, I just tested
different kernel versions and this started happening with 3.4.0; it works
fine until 3.3.8. And the problem is present in both vanila en -ck versions.

I think that booting from LiveCD isn't necessary since the bug seems pretty
clear, or so you think that I should also test another distribution with
linux 3.4? I don't think that there are already LiveCD's available with
such a recent kernel.