-   -   WIKI/pacman -Sy (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/677781-wiki-pacman-sy.html)

Arno Gaboury 06-27-2012 01:56 PM

WIKI/pacman -Sy

Dear list,

I am currently fine tunning and installing lots of services on my Arch
box. In that way, I often refers to Arch WIKI.

On the *pacman WIKI*, there is a useful Warning:
**When installing packages, do *not* refresh the package list without
upgrading
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Upgrading_packages> the
system (i.e. |pacman -Sy /package_name/|); this can lead to dependency
issues.

But on most WIKI, when installing a new package is needed, I always find
this command:

*$pacman -S packagenam*

As by definition WIKI will often adress to newbies, my thought was to
replace whenever I find the above command by this following one:

*$pacman -Sy packagenam*

In that way, newbies will very quickly take the good and sain habit of
running the *-y *option when installing a new package on their box.

Any idea if it could be worthwile for the comuunity?

TY.

Mateusz Loskot 06-27-2012 02:01 PM

WIKI/pacman -Sy

On 27 June 2012 14:56, Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com> wrote:
> But on most WIKI, when installing a new package is needed, I always find
> this command:
>
> *$pacman -S packagenam*
>
> As by definition WIKI will often adress to newbies, my thought was to
> replace whenever I find the above command by this following one:
>
> *$pacman -Sy packagenam*
>
> In that way, newbies will very quickly take the good and sain habit of
> running the *-y *option when installing a new package on their box.
>
> Any idea if it could be worthwile for the comuunity?

Explicit pacman command as installation instruction given on the wiki
has been deprecated:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Help:Style#Package_management_instructions

"to avoid errors such as pacman -Sy package or possibly never-ending discussions
like the choice between pacman -S package and pacman -Syu package"

So, I believe it solves the dilemma.

Best regards,

Dennis Herbrich 06-27-2012 02:04 PM

WIKI/pacman -Sy

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 03:56:25PM +0200, Arno Gaboury wrote:
> On the *pacman WIKI*, there is a useful Warning:
> **When installing packages, do *not* refresh the package list
> without upgrading
> <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Upgrading_packages> the
> system (i.e. |pacman -Sy /package_name/|); this can lead to
> dependency issues.
>
> But on most WIKI, when installing a new package is needed, I always
> find this command:
>
> *$pacman -S packagenam*
>
> As by definition WIKI will often adress to newbies, my thought was
> to replace whenever I find the above command by this following one:
>
> *$pacman -Sy packagenam*

This is exactly what is advised against!

Rule of thumb:
DO NOT run "pacman -Sy <packages>", ever.
DO run "pacman -Syu ; pacman -S <packages>" instead,
if you want to have the latest and greatest <packages>.

pacman -Sy only updates your repository database, but NOT the packages on your
system. That way you will be presented with the *current* version of
<packages>, not those versions which would be correct for the state of your
system.
By just using pacman -S, you do NOT touch the repository database, so
you'll be getting potentially "old" packages that DO fit the rest of your
system, but you might experience the issue that the remote mirror does not
offer the old version anymore for download.
THEN you should upgrade the whole system and your repo database before
installing the package you want (-Syu), or download the missing package from
the the arch rollback machine and keep the "old" repo db.

HTH,
Dennis

--
"Den Rechtsstaat macht aus, dass Unschuldige wieder frei kommen."
Dr. Wolfgang Schäuble, Bundesinnenminister (14.10.08, TAZ-Interview)

0D21BE6C - F3DC D064 BB88 5162 56BE 730F 5471 3881 0D21 BE6C

Arno Gaboury 06-27-2012 02:08 PM

WIKI/pacman -Sy

[...]

Ah, my poor english let me to misunderstand the Warning. Sorry about that.
Btw, I always run pacman -Syu.

So let the WIKI with pacman -S and forgive me for my stupid idea.

Mateusz Loskot 06-27-2012 02:14 PM

WIKI/pacman -Sy

On 27 June 2012 15:08, Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com> wrote:

> So let the WIKI with pacman -S and forgive me for my stupid idea.

As mentioned in my reply, according to the Wiki guidelines, every
pacman -S abc

should be replaced with

"install abc" where abc is linked to http://www.archlinux.org/packages/.../abc/

Best regards,