Old 06-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Arno Gaboury

Default Nvidia/vesafb/GRUB2

dear list,

After a few months of running Arch, I am now fine tuning everything (or
at least trying).

I discovered this error message in *kernel.log* file.

NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.

Googling let me to many forum posts about this issue with Nvidia card
and driver, but I couldn't find any clear answer.

I have tried all the cited tricks in my *grub* file:
-add *vga=0*, or *vga=795* (1208x1024), or *video=visaff vga=normal*
-*GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=console*, *GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text*,
*GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep*

and whatever else I couldn't remember, but nothing changed about this
message.

As far as I understand, Nvidia does NOT support vesa framebuffer, but
only vga. Fine. My system is NOT using VGA console. Fine.

But how do I need ton configure my *grub* file ?

Here are the concerned line from my file :

*GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
GRUB_TERMINAL_INPUT=console
GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT=console
GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1280x1024*

Please help as keeping running X like this is not recommanded.

TY.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Don deJuan

[...]

Putting GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text in my default grub, then running a
new grub.cfg. Reboot and the message went away, though in the console
the text is huge. I have seen no actual "fix" for this and have read
that Nvidia is not even sure how or why it broke.

The only other difference is I have GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024x32 in mine,
but with running text this setting is not used, at least that is my
understanding.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Arno Gaboury

[...]

I already tried this too, and yes, you are right. Message has gone, but
boot resolution is low.
I think I will stick to it until better is found, as I think best is to
avoid this message and have low res when booting. Sound more safe.

And you are right, difficult to find a clean answer, even from Nvidia.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Kevin Chadwick

> Putting GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text in my default grub, then running a
> new grub.cfg. Reboot and the message went away, though in the console
> the text is huge. I have seen no actual "fix" for this and have read
> that Nvidia is not even sure how or why it broke.

If it wasn't huge before then you were either running nouveau or vesa
framebuffer on the console and Nvidia in the desktop. This warning is
likely due to the fact that running a framebuffer and Nvidia used to
crash linux. It can probably? be ignored now.

p.s. video=1600x1200@85 is usually used for nouveau enabled via
mkinitcpio

and vga=ask will scan and give a menu of possible vesa modes.

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Don deJuan

Putting GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text in my default grub, then running a
new grub.cfg. Reboot and the message went away, though in the console
the text is huge. I have seen no actual "fix" for this and have read
that Nvidia is not even sure how or why it broke.

If it wasn't huge before then you were either running nouveau or vesa
framebuffer on the console and Nvidia in the desktop. This warning is
likely due to the fact that running a framebuffer and Nvidia used to
crash linux. It can probably? be ignored now.

p.s. video=1600x1200@85 is usually used for nouveau enabled via
mkinitcpio

and vga=ask will scan and give a menu of possible vesa modes.

I do not touch nouveau drivers. Never even installed them on this box.
It is because of having to give GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text flag, to get
rid of the error. That is why the console looses its normal resolution.
This is supposedly the way to work around the error and broken VESA.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Manolo Martínez

On 06/26/12 at 09:19pm, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> If it wasn't huge before then you were either running nouveau or vesa
> framebuffer on the console and Nvidia in the desktop. This warning is
> likely due to the fact that running a framebuffer and Nvidia used to
> crash linux. It can probably? be ignored now.

FWIW, the latest nVidia have broken my (and many others') suspend,
forcing me to vga=0 and very low console resolution. So
things are noticeably worse as of late.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Manolo Martínez

Old 06-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Arno Gaboury

[...]

After lots of reading, especially *Nvidia* official readme, it seems
this card SUPPORTS indded *Vesafb*. So I think this error message has
nothing to do here, and I will keep my *grub* file as it was first.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Kevin Chadwick

> After lots of reading, especially *Nvidia* official readme, it seems
> this card SUPPORTS indded *Vesafb*. So I think this error message has
> nothing to do here, and I will keep my *grub* file as it was first.

Vesafb is a standard that all cards are meant to support since decades.
Running both full blown and vesafb at the same time may cause an issue,
I don't know. Nouveau is a kind of hybrid and closer to the
features of the nvidia driver but runs in KMS meaning you can close of
the dangerous I/O nvidia requires. Running nouveau and nvidia at the
same time certainly had issues in the past but I believe they are fixed
now.

In any case I wouldn't worry about it until you get corruption as you
already have a good resolution console and fast graphical desktop.

If you switch to the console a lot you may want nouveau on both as it
switches instantly but may slow down fullscreen flash. Atleast it
should switch instantly, some distros like fedora seem to have fscked
that up. Maybe they have more 3d nouveau features enabled than default,
but I doubt it, anyone know.

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:11 AM
Kevin Chadwick

> After lots of reading, especially *Nvidia* official readme, it seems
> this card SUPPORTS indded *Vesafb*. So I think this error message has
> nothing to do here, and I will keep my *grub* file as it was first.

Vesafb is a standard that all cards are meant to support since decades.
Running both full blown and vesafb at the same time may cause an issue,
I don't know. Nouveau is a kind of hybrid and closer to the
features of the nvidia driver but runs in KMS meaning you can close of
the dangerous I/O nvidia requires. Running nouveau and nvidia at the
same time certainly had issues in the past.

>> FWIW, the latest nVidia have broken my (and many others') suspend,
>> forcing me to vga=0 and very low console resolution. So
>> things are noticeably worse as of late.

*snip*