-   -   merging files from pacnew (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/676547-merging-files-pacnew.html)

Arno Gaboury 06-24-2012 04:02 PM

merging files from pacnew

Dear all,

I did not take care until now of all my .pacnew files !
Hopfully, my system doesn't seems broken, and I am now merging all these
files.

I of course read the WIKI, and decided to use sdiff, as I do not feel
comfortable with VI for now.

Unfortunately, I found some very fancy results when using :
*sdiff -sa -o etcfilenew etcfile etcfile.pacnew*
(I use etcfilenew to check before I replace).
I don't know why, but this command didn't return many times the wanted
result: list all uncommon lines.

I know there are some scripts around, but I am not a big fan of using
scripts I do not understand.

So for now I deal with the classic diif.

Is there a simple command line I can use, appart sdiff and Vimdiff??

TY for your help.

Sébastien Luttringer 06-24-2012 04:28 PM

merging files from pacnew

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a simple command line I can use, appart sdiff and Vimdiff??

if use pacdiff from pacman-contrib

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
www.seblu.net

gt 06-25-2012 04:55 AM

merging files from pacnew

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 06:28:15PM +0200, Sébastien Luttringer wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there a simple command line I can use, appart sdiff and Vimdiff??
>
> if use pacdiff from pacman-contrib

AFAIK pacdiff uses vimdiff too.

@ Arno

If you are not comfortable with vimdiff, you can try meld. It is graphical,
though.

Arno Gaboury 06-25-2012 06:00 AM

merging files from pacnew