Old 06-24-2012, 02:28 PM
m a

Default locale variables

> Dear list,

> I am fine tuning my Arch box, trying to understand and configuring step
by step.

> I just realised I didn't take care of all the file.pacnew in /etc, and I
am now taking each one.
> Now dealing with *locale.gen.pacnew

> *I am not sure to fully understand the locale set up. My box is in
English, but I am living in Switzerland, write and read english and french,
> and uses a QWERTZU keyborad configured via keyborad layout in XFCE
settings.

> *[gabx@magnolia etc]$ locale -a
> en_US
> en_US.iso88591
> en_US.utf8
> POSIX*

> It seems to me some lignes about French and euro are missing. Am I right?
Looking at the list etc/locale.pacnew, I was thinking adding
> these locales :

> #fr_CH.UTF-8 UTF-8
> #fr_CH ISO-8859-1
> #fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
> #fr_FR ISO-8859-1
> #fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15

> Am I right to add all these locales?

> I understand I must run *$logal-gen* to add these modifications.

> What should I do with the locale.gen.pacnew ?? How can I update my system
correctly? I see that all locales are going to */usr/share/
> i18n/locales*, and I guess locale.gen.pacnew will modify this list, but I
have no idea how to do that.

> TY for help.

Have you uncommented these in /etc/locale.gen, and then did the "$
locale-gen" thing?

If you haven't, I think you should do it. And then merge the .pacnew file
with the old one.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Arno Gaboury

On 06/24/2012 04:28 PM, m a wrote:

[...]

My only /etc/locale.gen is shown as a binary, with type "Genesis ROM" in
Thunar (XFCE). Seems strange, as I can see it as a text file when using
a text editor (maybe the .gen extension is mistaking Thunar).

So I shall edit it and uncomment the following lines :

#fr_CH.UTF-8 UTF-8
#fr_CH ISO-8859-1
#fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
#fr_FR ISO-8859-1
#fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15

Then merge with locale.gen.pacnew?

That's fine, but doesn't tell me IF I really need these locales on my system.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Ralf Mardorf

My Arch is in English, but the keyboard is a German Qwertz one. IIRC
everything was set up during the installation. The only drawback for
Arch and some other distros I experienced is, that for the numeric
keypad the "," vs ".". I've got an old Suse installed in English with a
German Qwertz keyboard and it's the only distro, where I don't have to
edit "," vs "." manually. Btw. I'm to lazy to edit it for Arch and other
distros, but somewhere is a place where the key mapping can be edited.
I've forgotten what file does provide the key mapping. It becomes
annoying, when using a calculator, but I'm an idiot, hence I always need
a calculator and have some "stand alone" scientific calculator at hand.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:56 PM
John K Pate

> It seems to me some lignes about French and euro are missing. Am I
> right? Looking at the list etc/locale.pacnew, I was thinking adding
> these locales :
>
> #fr_CH.UTF-8 UTF-8
> #fr_CH ISO-8859-1
> #fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
> #fr_FR ISO-8859-1
> #fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15
>
> Am I right to add all these locales?
>
> I understand I must run *$logal-gen* to add these modifications.
>
> What should I do with the locale.gen.pacnew ?? How can I update my
> system correctly? I see that all locales are going to
> */usr/share/i18n/locales*, and I guess locale.gen.pacnew will modify
> this list, but I have no idea how to do that.

.pacnew files are created when pacman downloads a changed version of
some configuration file you have changed. Instead of trying to guess
what you want, pacman leaves your configuration file as-is and leaves
the new version of the config file in a .pacnew file. It's up to you to
merge the new default configuration file with the configuration file
you have changed locally. I use vimdiff to merge .pacnew files.
Once the files have been merged, you should delete the .pacnew file.
Read more here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacnew_and_Pacsave_Files

So you should merge /etc/locale.gen with /etc/locale.gen.pacnew, make
sure the relevant locales are uncommented, run locale-gen, and then
delete your .pacnew file.

--
John K Pate http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0930006/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:07 PM
Arno Gaboury

On 06/24/2012 04:56 PM, John K Pate wrote:

[...]

TY for your answer.
For now, I use *sdiff* to edit and merge with new *.pacnew* files.
I was confused this time because Thunar explorer show me local.gen as a
binary! But this is not the case, so I will merge the two local.gen.

Now the other part of my question is left unanswered: shall I need to
uncomment all these variables:

#fr_CH.UTF-8 UTF-8
#fr_CH ISO-8859-1
#fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
#fr_FR ISO-8859-1
#fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15

I will uncoment them, as my first thought is it will not break anything even if I do not need them. But I maybe wrong...

Old 06-24-2012, 03:09 PM
m a

>>> Dear list,
>>> I am fine tuning my Arch box, trying to understand and configuring step
>> by step.
>>
>>> I just realised I didn't take care of all the file.pacnew in /etc, and
>> am now taking each one.
>>> Now dealing with *locale.gen.pacnew
>>> *I am not sure to fully understand the locale set up. My box is in
>> English, but I am living in Switzerland, write and read english and
>> french,
>>> and uses a QWERTZU keyborad configured via keyborad layout in XFCE
>> settings.
>>
>>> *[gabx@magnolia etc]$ locale -a
>>> en_US
>>> en_US.iso88591
>>> en_US.utf8
>>> POSIX*
>>> It seems to me some lignes about French and euro are missing. Am I
>>> right?
>> Looking at the list etc/locale.pacnew, I was thinking adding
>>> these locales :
>>> #fr_CH.UTF-8 UTF-8
>>> #fr_CH ISO-8859-1
>>> #fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
>>> #fr_FR ISO-8859-1
>>> #fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15
>>> Am I right to add all these locales?
>>> I understand I must run *$logal-gen* to add these modifications.
>>> What should I do with the locale.gen.pacnew ?? How can I update my
>>> system
>> correctly? I see that all locales are going to */usr/share/
>>> i18n/locales*, and I guess locale.gen.pacnew will modify this list,
>>> but I
>> have no idea how to do that.
>>
>>> TY for help.
>>

>> Have you uncommented these in /etc/locale.gen, and then did the "$
>> locale-gen" thing?
>>
>> If you haven't, I think you should do it. And then merge the .pacnew
>> file
>> with the old one.
> My only /etc/locale.gen is shown as a binary, with type "Genesis ROM" in
> Thunar (XFCE). Seems strange, as I can see it as a text file when using
> a text editor (maybe the .gen extension is mistaking Thunar).
>
> So I shall edit it and uncomment the following lines :
>
> #fr_CH.UTF-8 UTF-8
> #fr_CH ISO-8859-1
> #fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
> #fr_FR ISO-8859-1
> #fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15
>
> Then merge with locale.gen.pacnew?
>
> That's fine, but doesn't tell me IF I really need these locales on my
> system.

Maybe it does, I don't know. Haven't ever used xfce to be able to say
anything about something like that.

As for the locales, I think you should only add the first two.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:23 PM

> TY for your answer.
> For now, I use *sdiff* to edit and merge with new *.pacnew* files.
> I was confused this time because Thunar explorer show me local.gen as a
> binary! But this is not the case, so I will merge the two local.gen.

Have a closer look to the filename: there is "locale.gen", the plain text file where you uncomment the entries you need. And there is "locale_gen" , really a binary, which you execute after editing the locale.gen.

Best regards,
Nelson.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:07 AM
Ben Darby

* m a (mantonavia@gmail.com) wrote:
> Maybe it does, I don't know. Haven't ever used xfce to be able to say
> anything about something like that.
>
> As for the locales, I think you should only add the first two.

Why do you break threading for every single reply you do to the list?

Old 06-25-2012, 04:52 AM
gt

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 06:23:47PM +0200, nelsonmarambio@gmx.de wrote:
> > TY for your answer.
> > For now, I use *sdiff* to edit and merge with new *.pacnew* files.
> > I was confused this time because Thunar explorer show me local.gen as a
> > binary! But this is not the case, so I will merge the two local.gen.
> >

> Have a closer look to the filename: there is "locale.gen", the plain text file where you uncomment the entries you need. And there is "locale_gen" , really a binary, which you execute after editing the locale.gen.

Actually "locale-gen" resides in /usr/sbin. So Arno wouldn't find it in
/etc.

Also, locale-gen isn't a binary either, it's a shell script.