Old 06-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Arno Gaboury

Default locale variables

Dear list,

I am fine tuning my Arch box, trying to understand and configuring step
by step.

I just realised I didn't take care of all the file.pacnew in /etc, and I
am now taking each one.

Now dealing with *locale.gen.pacnew

*I am not sure to fully understand the locale set up. My box is in
English, but I am living in Switzerland, write and read english and
french, and uses a QWERTZU keyborad configured via keyborad layout in
XFCE settings.

*[gabx@magnolia etc]$ locale -a
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.utf8
POSIX*

It seems to me some lignes about French and euro are missing. Am I
right? Looking at the list etc/locale.pacnew, I was thinking adding
these locales :

#fr_CH.UTF-8 UTF-8
#fr_CH ISO-8859-1
#fr_FR.UTF-8 UTF-8
#fr_FR ISO-8859-1
#fr_FR@euro ISO-8859-15

Am I right to add all these locales?

I understand I must run *$logal-gen* to add these modifications.

What should I do with the locale.gen.pacnew ?? How can I update my
system correctly? I see that all locales are going to
*/usr/share/i18n/locales*, and I guess locale.gen.pacnew will modify
this list, but I have no idea how to do that.

TY for help.