-   -   Booting archlinux .iso to take a look (http://www.linux-archive.org/archlinux-general-discussion/675936-booting-archlinux-iso-take-look.html)

Chris Jones 06-22-2012 06:34 PM

Booting archlinux .iso to take a look

I am a long-time debian user.

Is there an Archlinux live environment available anywhere so I can take
a look round without installing AL to my hard drive..?

I created a grub menu entry for ‘archlinux-2011.08.19-core-dual.iso’ and
booted successfully.. but afaict.. it only lets me run the installer.

I must be missing something..

CJ

--
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

Alexandre Ferrando 06-22-2012 06:38 PM

On 22 June 2012 20:34, Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a long-time debian user.
>
> Is there an Archlinux live environment available anywhere so I can take
> a look round without installing AL to my hard drive..?
>
> I created a grub menu entry for ‘archlinux-2011.08.19-core-dual.iso’ and
> booted successfully.. but afaict.. it only lets me run the installer.
>
> I must be missing something..
>
> CJ

You're not missing a thing, archlinux doesn't have that kind of
liveCDs, just the installer. At least officially. Can't remember right
now any live-cd aside from archbang ( but that is the livecd of an
arch based distro, not just arch IIRC)

PS: If you're looking into installing arch, don't use a core
installation, or at least grab the lattest. It is better to use a
netinstall.

Jesse Juhani Jaara 06-22-2012 06:43 PM

pe, 2012-06-22 kello 14:34 -0400, Chris Jones kirjoitti:
> I created a grub menu entry for ‘archlinux-2011.08.19-core-dual.iso’ and
> booted successfully.. but afaict.. it only lets me run the installer.

What do you mean it only lets you run the installer? Our isos are full
livecds. Once you boot the cd you have a fullfledget readonly arch
system, altought you can install stuff to ram, but due to the fact that
the current isos are so old and Arch is rolling release you would most
likely have to install everysingle package as update before being able
to install something new.....

Just login as root and start bagging in sed and awk clauses to the
console ^_^ should work.

Rashif Ray Rahman 06-22-2012 06:49 PM

On 23 June 2012 02:34, Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am a long-time debian user.
>
> Is there an Archlinux live environment available anywhere so I can take
> a look round without installing AL to my hard drive..?

You are already in a "live" environment. It is console-based and
provides only a minimal set of tools. You can write an essay with nano
or vi, or build software, or rescue a dead Linux system, or retrieve
data from a dead windows one.

> I created a grub menu entry for ‘archlinux-2011.08.19-core-dual.iso’ and
> booted successfully.. but afaict.. it only lets me run the installer.
>
> I must be missing something..
>
> CJ
>
> --
> ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1

Martti Kühne 06-22-2012 06:51 PM

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 02:34:06PM -0400, Chris Jones wrote:
> I am a long-time debian user.
>
> Is there an Archlinux live environment available anywhere so I can take
> a look round without installing AL to my hard drive..?
>
> I created a grub menu entry for ‘archlinux-2011.08.19-core-dual.iso’ and
> booted successfully.. but afaict.. it only lets me run the installer.
>
> I must be missing something..
>
> CJ
>
> --
> ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

The installer doesn't need to be run.
It's not made clear enough, but you can just press ctrl-c and enjoy.

cheers!
mar77i

Paul Gideon Dann 06-22-2012 07:30 PM

On Friday 22 Jun 2012 21:43:06 Jesse Juhani Jaara wrote:
> Just login as root and start bagging in sed and awk clauses to the
> console ^_^ should work.

Also, I'd highly suggest rolling out VirtualBox and playing with an
installation. This will 1) mean you won't bork your existing system, and 2)
allow you to go through the install at your own pace. The first time can take
a while, since you won't be used to the way things need to be configured.

Paul

Mauro Santos 06-22-2012 10:10 PM

On 22-06-2012 19:34, Chris Jones wrote:
> I am a long-time debian user.
>
> Is there an Archlinux live environment available anywhere so I can take
> a look round without installing AL to my hard drive..?
>
> I created a grub menu entry for ‘archlinux-2011.08.19-core-dual.iso’ and
> booted successfully.. but afaict.. it only lets me run the installer.
>
> I must be missing something..
>
> CJ

You could try archboot[1]. tpowa has been doing a great job at providing
unofficial up-to-date install/live images. They provide the same as the
official install images (but up-to-date :p) so don't expect any fancy guis.

[1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=143541

--
Mauro Santos

David Benfell 06-22-2012 10:55 PM

Booting archlinux .iso to take a look

C Anthony Risinger 06-22-2012 11:16 PM

On Jun 22, 2012 5:55 PM, "David Benfell" <benfell@parts-unknown.org> wrote:
> On 06/22/12 15:10, Mauro Santos wrote:
> >
> > You could try archboot[1]. tpowa has been doing a great job at
> > providing unofficial up-to-date install/live images. They provide
> > the same as the official install images (but up-to-date :p) so
> > don't expect any fancy guis.
> >
> > [1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=143541
> >
> There is also Bridge Linux, which seems in my experience to mostly do
> things quite nicely. Once you've installed, it's Arch Linux.

Or yet-another-option -- my personal favorite thanks to unusual levels of
utility and awesome -- you can "dynamic netboot" Arch from a 1/2 MiB PXE
image:

http://releng.archlinux.org/pxeboot/

... as linked on the Downloads page. This will let you select a recent
image to boot on-the-fly, providing you have a decent inet link.

--

C Anthony

Chris Jones 06-23-2012 03:44 AM

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 02:38:48PM EDT, Alexandre Ferrando wrote:
> On 22 June 2012 20:34, Chris Jones <cjns1989@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I am a long-time debian user.

[..]

> You're not missing a thing, archlinux doesn't have that kind of
> liveCDs, just the installer. At least officially. Can't remember right
> now any live-cd aside from archbang ( but that is the livecd of an
> arch based distro, not just arch IIRC)
>
> PS: If you're looking into installing arch, don't use a core
> installation, or at least grab the lattest. It is better to use
> a netinstall.

One additional problem is that I only have network access via a WiFi
connection at this point, and to make things a little more complicated,
I need to install some non-free firmware to get it to work.

I did manage to boot to a framebuffer console & a bash prompt, but then
I was pretty much stuck anyway: Didn't have a network connection, so
that I couldn't even download additional packages w/o running the
install.

In any case, it's pretty obvious that I misunderstood the wiki and
thought that the iso could run without having to install Archlinux to my
hard drive.. so that I could take a look at a standard/demo environment
and form an opinion. That's why I chose to download the core flavor of
the iso, rather than the net install.. reasoning that bigger is better
and that it was more likely to provide some kind of full-fledged demo
environment.

What I did not realize is that until you actually install Archlinux,
booting the .iso only causes the packages that are required to run the
install to be extracted.. everything else is still tucked away in the
/i686/arch/ directory. At that stage, I couldn't as much as start
a barebones X server + an XTerm and verify that the ‘nouveau’ driver
that ships with the .iso does not result in a black screen.. or that
I am able to bring up a wlan network connection.. etc.

I guess I should have made it clear in my original post that I want to:

- make sure Archlinux will run on my hardware with minimal headaches
- check out pacman.. see how it compares with debian's apt.

In any event, case closed.

Thanks much for your comments.. not to forget the other gentlemen who
kindly took the trouble to reply.

CJ

--
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN?