Old 06-23-2012, 03:48 AM
Chris Jones

Default Booting archlinux .iso to take a look

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 03:30:13PM EDT, Paul Gideon Dann wrote:

[..]

> Also, I'd highly suggest rolling out VirtualBox and playing with an
> installation. This will 1) mean you won't bork your existing system,

I never bork my existing system(s).. ;-)

CJ

--
Focus follow mouse users will burn in hell!!!

Old 06-23-2012, 04:09 AM
David Benfell

Old 06-23-2012, 04:10 AM
Chris Jones

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 06:55:22PM EDT, David Benfell wrote:

> > You could try archboot[1]. tpowa has been doing a great job at
> > providing unofficial up-to-date install/live images. They provide
> > the same as the official install images (but up-to-date ) so don't
> > expect any fancy guis.

> > [1] https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=143541

> There is also Bridge Linux, which seems in my experience to mostly do
> things quite nicely. Once you've installed, it's Arch Linux.

Downloading.. thanks..

CJ

--
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN?

Old 06-23-2012, 04:11 AM
Chris Jones

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 07:16:17PM EDT, C Anthony Risinger wrote:

[..]

> Or yet-another-option -- my personal favorite thanks to unusual levels
> of utility and awesome -- you can "dynamic netboot" Arch from a 1/2
> MiB PXE image:
>
> http://releng.archlinux.org/pxeboot/
>
> ... as linked on the Downloads page. This will let you select
> a recent image to boot on-the-fly, providing you have a decent inet
> link.

Not at this point.. afaik.. :-(

CJ

--
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

Old 06-23-2012, 04:37 AM
Chris Jones

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:09:41AM EDT, David Benfell wrote:

> On 06/22/12 20:48, Chris Jones wrote
>

> > I never bork my existing system(s).. ;-)
> >
> <nag>
> s/never/have not yet/
> </nag>

hehe..

Actually, I once did end up with an unbootable system on a couple of
occasions.. one time it was caused by some crappy little program called
os-prober that actually _believes_ whatever it finds in grub
directories that may have been obsolete for years and many partitions
have come and gone.. Now I only use it once to gen' a template.. and
remove it from the system thereafter...

On the other occasion, something in the BIOS must have decided that my
first drive all of a sudden was my second drive and vice-versa.

As the grub gurus told me.. ah.. but you should use UUID's.. trouble is
I do..

Obviously, I've borked systems more than once.. and a good thing too..
that's the only way you get to learn anything..

CJ

--
Hi! My name is bobby...

Old 06-23-2012, 04:41 AM
Chris Jones

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:10:05AM EDT, Chris Jones wrote:

[..]

> Downloading.. thanks..

Duplicated the grub entry for the Arch iso:

| menuentry "bridge-gnome-2012.5-x86_64.iso" {
| set isofile="/iso/bridge-gnome-2012.5-x86_64.iso"
| loopback loop (hd0,7)$isofile
| linux (loop)/arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz archisolabel=ARCH_201108 img_dev=/dev/sdb7 img_loop=$isofile earlymodules=loop
| initrd (loop)/arch/boot/x86_64/archiso.img
| }

Won't boot.. gives me the usual ‘wait for 30 seconds’ and never gets to
load the kernel.. or can't find the initrd.. Different file names
I assume..

Need to check the contents of the iso.. tomorrow..

CJ

--
Focus follow mouse users will burn in hell!!!

Old 06-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Jelle van der Waa

On 23/06/12 06:41, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 12:10:05AM EDT, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>> Downloading.. thanks..
>
> Duplicated the grub entry for the Arch iso:
>
> | menuentry "bridge-gnome-2012.5-x86_64.iso" {
> | set isofile="/iso/bridge-gnome-2012.5-x86_64.iso"
> | loopback loop (hd0,7)$isofile
> | linux (loop)/arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz archisolabel=ARCH_201108 img_dev=/dev/sdb7 img_loop=$isofile earlymodules=loop
> | initrd (loop)/arch/boot/x86_64/archiso.img
> | }
>
> Won't boot.. gives me the usual ‘wait for 30 seconds’ and never gets to
> load the kernel.. or can't find the initrd.. Different file names
> I assume..
>
> Need to check the contents of the iso.. tomorrow..
>
> CJ

Please note that bridge-gnome is not supported by Archlinux and is not
recommended as installation media.

--
Jelle van der Waa

Old 06-25-2012, 04:32 AM
Chris Jones

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 06:15:42AM EDT, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> On 23/06/12 06:41, Chris Jones wrote:

[..]

> Please note that bridge-gnome is not supported by Archlinux and is not
> recommended as installation media.

Thanks. I looked inside the bridge-gnome iso.. but I don't know enough
about what's required to make an iso bootable from the HD.. And since
I was never able to register on the ‘bridge’ forums to ask the folks
there if it's even possible, I've pretty much lost interest.

Bit of a shame Archlinux does not provide a live environment that lets
you verify you can run X11.. connect to the network.. etc.

I*guess I'll just install Archlinux to my HD when I have more time.

CJ

--
Have a nice day!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 AM
Jelle van der Waa

On 25/06/12 06:32, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 06:15:42AM EDT, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
>> On 23/06/12 06:41, Chris Jones wrote:
>
> [..]
>
>> Please note that bridge-gnome is not supported by Archlinux and is not
>> recommended as installation media.
>
> Thanks. I looked inside the bridge-gnome iso.. but I don't know enough
> about what's required to make an iso bootable from the HD.. And since
> I was never able to register on the ‘bridge’ forums to ask the folks
> there if it's even possible, I've pretty much lost interest.
>
> Bit of a shame Archlinux does not provide a live environment that lets
> you verify you can run X11.. connect to the network.. etc.
You can connect to the network with the live-cd, since the netinstall
uses the internet to download the packages.

Btw checkout the testiso's for more recent kernels, worked fine for me
in a VM.

--
Jelle van der Waa

Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Jesse Jaara

> you verify you can run X11.. connect to the network.. etc.

You can run X11 easily as long ass you don't have some relic from 70s or
some arm system, even then basic vesa driver should work.