Old 06-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Randy

Default Help with gnupg saving password for given time

Hello all,

I'm running KmyMoney and saving the file with GPG encryption. In order
to open this file I need to enter my password in the pin entry window
that comes up. This all works fine.

The issue that I'm having is that in the past (previous installation of
Arch and Aptosid) I was able to close KmyMoney and open it back up
within a certain amount of time without having to re-enter the password.
After this time expired, I had to re-enter the password.

This no longer seems to work for me. I have to enter my password every
time I open KmyMoney. According to my notes that I have on this, what I
need to do is to create a file in .gnupg called gpg-agent.conf with the
following entries:

pinentry-program /usr/bin/pinentry
no-grab
default-cache-ttl 3600

And enter "use-agent" in the file .gnupg/gpg.conf.

I'm using Openbox as my windows manager in case it matters.

Could someone offer any suggestions on why this no longer works? My
guess is that I'm missing something.

Thanks,

Randy

Old 06-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Kevin Chadwick

> I have to enter my password every
> time I open KmyMoney

First check if gpg-agent is running

/bin/ps -aux | /usr/bin/grep gpg

sighup will make it forget a password which any program may send and how
long it remembers is configurable.

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Randy

sighup will make it forget a password which any program may send and how
long it remembers is configurable.

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

It appears to be, I get the following:

/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon --enable-ssh-support --write-env-file
/home/gumper/.gpginfo

Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Kevin Chadwick

> On 06/22/2012 02:09 PM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> >> I have to enter my password every
> >> time I open KmyMoney
> > First check if gpg-agent is running
> >
> > /bin/ps -aux | /usr/bin/grep gpg
> >
> > sighup will make it forget a password which any program may send and how
> > long it remembers is configurable.
> >
> > __________________________________________________ ______
> >
> > Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.
> > __________________________________________________ ______
> >

> It appears to be, I get the following:
>

> /usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon --enable-ssh-support --write-env-file
> /home/gumper/.gpginfo

Do you have gpg in your environment and /tmp.

/usr/bin/env | /usr/bin/grep -i gpg

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:47 PM
Randy

sighup will make it forget a password which any program may send and how
long it remembers is configurable.

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

It appears to be, I get the following:

/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon --enable-ssh-support --write-env-file
/home/gumper/.gpginfo

Do you have gpg in your environment and /tmp.

/usr/bin/env | /usr/bin/grep -i gpg

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

I get nothing with this command.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Randy

sighup will make it forget a password which any program may send and how
long it remembers is configurable.

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

It appears to be, I get the following:

/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon --enable-ssh-support --write-env-file
/home/gumper/.gpginfo

Do you have gpg in your environment and /tmp.

/usr/bin/env | /usr/bin/grep -i gpg

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

Sorry but I didn't answer your question completely.

gpg shows up in /tmp. I have two folders there that start with "gpg".

Old 06-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Kevin Chadwick

> I get nothing with this command.

Your programs will likely ignore the agent and use gpg directly
using the password once without an environment variable.

You should have the GPG_AGENT_INFO environment variable already setup as
the third box in this link does. You can fix it quite easily but why
it's not there already I'm not sure and is the real issue.

http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/Invoking-GPG_002dAGENT.html

I presume you switched to openbox from something else which set this
up automatically.

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:02 AM
Randy

Your programs will likely ignore the agent and use gpg directly
using the password once without an environment variable.

You should have the GPG_AGENT_INFO environment variable already setup as
the third box in this link does. You can fix it quite easily but why
it's not there already I'm not sure and is the real issue.

http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/Invoking-GPG_002dAGENT.html

I presume you switched to openbox from something else which set this
up automatically.

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

Ok, everything is working as it should now. I originally had the
following in my Openbox autostart file:

/envfile="${HOME}/.gpginfo"
if test -f ${envfile} && kill -0 $(cut -d: -f 2 ${envfile} | head -n 1)
2>/dev/null; then

eval $(cat ${envfile})
else
eval `/usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemon --enable-ssh-support
--write-env-file ${envfile}`

fi
export GPG_AGENT_INFO
export SSH_AUTH_SOCK
export SSH_AGENT_PID

/Apparently this isn't the correct way to do it? It would create the
.gpginfo file ok, but I'm assuming that the export command wasn't
working correctly. Any ideas why?

I looked at the link that you gave but I wasn't sure where to place the
command to start the gpg-agent. I figured if I placed it in my Openbox
autostart file, then there was the possibility of starting the agent
more than once if logging out and back in. I tried putting it in
.xsession but it didn't start from there because I use Slim and I
believe that Slim doesn't call xsession. Maybe putting it in .xinitrc
would work.

What I ended up doing was per the Arch wiki. Creating the file
/etc/profile.d/gpg-agent.sh with the following:

/#!/bin/sh

envfile="${HOME}/.gnupg/gpg-agent.env"
if test -f "$envfile" && kill -0 $(grep GPG_AGENT_INFO "$envfile" | cut
-d: -f 2) 2>/dev/null; then

eval "$(cat "$envfile")"
else
eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon --write-env-file "$envfile")"
fi
export GPG_AGENT_INFO # the env file does not contain the export statement/

This did the trick for me.

Oh and you are correct, I switched from XFCE to Openbox.

Thanks for the help!

Randy

/

/

Old 06-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Kevin Chadwick

> This did the trick for me.
>
> Oh and you are correct, I switched from XFCE to Openbox.
>
> Thanks for the help!

I recently had trouble modifying the local users environment even
though I did it on another system about a week ago and just whacked it
in /etc/environment to save time.

How you finding Openbox, better than xfce. I haven't really used
openbox much, I might have one system and livecds with it but I didn't
set that or them up. I used blackbox a lot a long time ago.

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

Old 06-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Randy

Oh and you are correct, I switched from XFCE to Openbox.

Thanks for the help!

I recently had trouble modifying the local users environment even
though I did it on another system about a week ago and just whacked it
in /etc/environment to save time.

How you finding Openbox, better than xfce. I haven't really used
openbox much, I might have one system and livecds with it but I didn't
set that or them up. I used blackbox a lot a long time ago.

Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.

I'm liking Openbox. My system is getting a little dated now and things
seem to be a little snappier than with XFCE. The main menu in Openbox
comes up instantly when I right click on my desktop. With XFCE, there
would be a delay. Sometimes a several seconds delay. When I first
started using Openbox, one thing that I liked more with XFCE is that the
main menu for XFCE has icons. It looks nicer. I have since added icons
to my Openbox menu, so it's like XFCE now.