Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 AM
m a

Default Complete mess after having attempted to install Nvidia drivers‏

> Do not know of a quick fix off the top of my head but yes deleting the
> entire folder xorg.conf.d deletes other needed files. I would maybe try
> booting a LiveCD chroot in and copy the files over you deleted then reboot.

> Why would you blindly delete an entire folder?

> HTH

Cause I'm an idiot, obviously.
I have booted from a LiveCD and mounted the root directory.
I don't know where these files are to copy them from, though.

Can you please tell me?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:05 AM
m a

> You could try to reinstall xorg-server:
> # pacman -S xorg-server

How am I going to do this?
In normal boot, I can't use my keyboard and, when booting from a
LiveCD, I can't install anything on the system.

> You mentioned intel graphics driver, is there any possibilty that you
> have Intel + Nvidia Optimus?

No, I just recently bought the graphic card. I used the onboard one up
to that point.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:10 AM
A Rojas

m a wrote:

>> You could try to reinstall xorg-server:
>> # pacman -S xorg-server
>
> How am I going to do this?
> In normal boot, I can't use my keyboard and, when booting from a
> LiveCD, I can't install anything on the system.

Boot from the LiveCD and chroot to your system

Old 06-22-2012, 10:12 AM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 06:05:06 -0400
> Von: m a <mantonavia@gmail.com>
> An: arch-general@archlinux.org
> Betreff: Re: [arch-general] Complete mess after having attempted to install Nvidia drivers‏

> > You could try to reinstall xorg-server:
> > # pacman -S xorg-server
>
> How am I going to do this?
> In normal boot, I can't use my keyboard and, when booting from a
> LiveCD, I can't install anything on the system.

You can boot from the LiveCD and switching to your local system as active instance. The magic word in the wiki is "chroot":

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Chroot

As one of the advantages you can fix your system even if it is not able to boot itself anymore.

HTH
Nelson

Old 06-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Jesse Juhani Jaara

pe, 2012-06-22 kello 06:05 -0400, m a kirjoitti:
> > You could try to reinstall xorg-server:
> > # pacman -S xorg-server
>
> How am I going to do this?
> In normal boot, I can't use my keyboard and, when booting from a
> LiveCD, I can't install anything on the system.
No you don't boot into LiveCD like someone said before thingking at all,
this is Arch after all, we all have working text console and are not
dependan't on X to be able to work. Just boot into text mode by adding 3
at the end of the kernel boot line, if you used the inittab method, but
if you have used the DAEMONS=(.... gdm/kdm/xdm/... ....) method you 1st
need to boot into single user mode by adding 's' instead of 3. Then in
the single user mode remount the / filesystem rw and edit rc.conf to not
start the loginmanager. Then you change into init mode 3 and there just
login like regularry and install xorg-server package 'pacman -S
xorg-server'

Old 06-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Paul Gideon Dann

On Friday 22 Jun 2012 05:57:43 m a wrote:
> > Do not know of a quick fix off the top of my head but yes deleting the
> > entire folder xorg.conf.d deletes other needed files. I would maybe try
> > booting a LiveCD chroot in and copy the files over you deleted then
> > reboot.
> >
> > Why would you blindly delete an entire folder?
> >
> > HTH
>
> Cause I'm an idiot, obviously.
> I have booted from a LiveCD and mounted the root directory.
> I don't know where these files are to copy them from, though.
>
> Can you please tell me?

It will really be much easier to boot your system normally and do:

# pacman -S xorg-server

This should fix it for you, as has already been mentioned.

Paul

Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM

Hm ... but is this not just a second possibility ?

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Old 06-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Norbert Zeh

nelsonmarambio@gmx.de [2012.06.22 1217 +0200]:
> Hm ... but is this not just a second possibility ?
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 13:13:38 +0300
> > Von: Jesse Juhani Jaara <jesse.jaara@gmail.com>
> > An: General Discussion about Arch Linux <arch-general@archlinux.org>
> > Betreff: Re: [arch-general] Complete mess after having attempted to install Nvidia drivers‏

> > > How am I going to do this?
> > > In normal boot, I can't use my keyboard and, when booting from a
> > > LiveCD, I can't install anything on the system.
> > No you don't boot into LiveCD like someone said before thingking at all,
> > this is Arch after all, we all have working text console and are not
> > dependan't on X to be able to work. Just boot into text mode by adding 3
> > at the end of the kernel boot line, if you used the inittab method, but
> > if you have used the DAEMONS=(.... gdm/kdm/xdm/... ....) method you 1st
> > need to boot into single user mode by adding 's' instead of 3. Then in
> > the single user mode remount the / filesystem rw and edit rc.conf to not
> > start the loginmanager. Then you change into init mode 3 and there just
> > login like regularry and install xorg-server package 'pacman -S
> > xorg-server'

I would think that it's rather the other way around. Why would I have to go to
the trouble of putting in a CD, boot, chroot, ... if I can simply boot the
system itself and take advantage of its built-in recovery mechanisms (like text
consoles, single-user mode, etc.)

I think the measures you have to take to fix your system depend on how messed up
it is. If you can get a text console from a normal boot (e.g., if only the X
server is messed up as in this case), fix things there. If you can't but you
can boot into single-user mode, do that. If your system is messed up enough
that it doesn't even boot any more, then a LiveCD may be called for.

Cheers,
Norbert